New Light & Medium Duty News

Yes any Ford advantage was quickly shall we say "adjusted" by the rules makers. They did the same thing with Boss and Cleveland headed Ford powered cars in the 70's.

The only place they were allowed to race was in the open wheel modifieds where the big block chevies had almost a hundred cubic inch advantage.

Can't have all the Chevrolet boys getting out run by Fords. That would force them to spend more money to up their game. It's perfectly okay though now in a completely Chevrolet dominated era where most sanctioning bodies are adopting LS3 spec engines regardless of body brand.

Most racing is dead to me now.

• Like 1

Yes any Ford advantage was quickly shall we say "adjusted" by the rules makers. They did the same thing with Boss and Cleveland headed Ford powered cars in the 70's.

The only place they were allowed to race was in the open wheel modifieds where the big block chevies had almost a hundred cubic inch advantage.

Can't have all the Chevrolet boys getting out run by Fords. That would force them to spend more money to up their game. It's perfectly okay though now in a completely Chevrolet dominated era where most sanctioning bodies are adopting LS3 spec engines regardless of body brand.

Most racing is dead to me now.

When American racing went from being about the cars to being just about driver personality; it lost me. Innovation was replaced with "spec" cars. I have no desire to watch racing with foreign cars...ergo, I'm no longer a race fan.

That Aussie head won't bolt up to a 300 six block, will it?

The Aussie engine was built off of the "small block" I6 (170?, 200?, 250? CID) "car" engine. The 4.9L was the last if the "big block" (240?, 300) "truck" engines. At one time, the 300 had a forged crank and possibly even forged connecting rods and pistons.

Yeah I'm aware of the forged crank and I'm sure the early rods were forged (like everything else back then). But I've never heard of factory forged pistons. However, given the 4.000" bore, it's not too hard to find a forged piston that'll work with a few mods.

Another interesting tidbit I've heard is that there was only ever one camshaft used in the 240/300. Same thing from early 60s carb engines to 1997 EFI trucks. Is that true?

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Back to Mediums, Full year down 25% and December 44%. I think all the low hanging gasoline sales have been picked. Time for another diesel power train alternative and for sure the new gasoline option can't come fast enough.

Now I know there will be a post about the profitability of the in house power train. Agreed- but how does that stack up with a 25% reduction in OAP plant utilization???

There is nothing on the horizon for a Diesel power train change. For as sure as there will be more posts by you and your compatriots about a Cummins Allison there will be posts about profitability. What's your point in saying the same thing over and over?

There is nothing on the horizon for a Diesel power train change. For as sure as there will be more posts by you and your compatriots about a Cummins Allison there will be posts about profitability. What's your point in saying the same thing over and over?

Well well-welcome to the site. Having been on this site for 18 years, I can say that for sure there is a lot of redundancy. The beauty part is you can always skip anything you feel is redundant.

On the other hand, if in fact there are Ford insiders who read some of this stuff, and some are in influential positions, at some point the message just might get through.

And by the way, I am a stockholder of significance so I'm not just in this because I have an interest in trucks.

So hopefully my "compatriots" as you put it will continue to follow this thread as we have.

A 25% decline in sales for sure is not a good sign.

I've been around heavy trucks, heavy equipment my entire life. I do have some knowledge but everyday I log on to this site as well as a couple of other related sites I do learn from others who have far more knowledge than I.

Hopefully you can be a positive contributor as you approach your first month anniversary date.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm aware of the forged crank and I'm sure the early rods were forged (like everything else back then). But I've never heard of factory forged pistons. However, given the 4.000" bore, it's not too hard to find a forged piston that'll work with a few mods.

Another interesting tidbit I've heard is that there was only ever one camshaft used in the 240/300. Same thing from early 60s carb engines to 1997 EFI trucks. Is that true?

I seem to remember someone telling me that the 300 used Windsor pistons and the 240 used FE pistons. Any truth to that?

Back to Mediums, Full year down 25% and December 44%. I think all the low hanging gasoline sales have been picked. Time for another diesel power train alternative and for sure the new gasoline option can't come fast enough.

Now I know there will be a post about the profitability of the in house power train. Agreed- but how does that stack up with a 25% reduction in OAP plant utilization???

Wow, I hope a certain fleet or two had their orders filled and that's it. I think the 7X engine will be an improvement over the current V-10, but I doubt anyone is holding back ordering gasoline 650/750's until 2020 when the new engine debuts. Still, it couldn't hurt, particularly because by 2020 I think Ford will have some competition in gas medium duty.

I know that putting 240 pistons in a 300 will increase compression, but I don't know that they were FE pistons. The 240/300 bore is 4.000" so it'd have to be the "small" (330/352?) FE as the 360/390 had a 4.050" bore.

The 300 doesn't use Windsor pistons though. The compression height is much greater on the 300.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Even though I'm seeing quite a few of the F-650 U-Hauls, there are still quite a few of the old GMCs in U-Haul's fleet. Wonder if U-Haul is waiting on the new GM/Navistar medium or waiting to see how the current Fords are doing

Well well-welcome to the site. Having been on this site for 18 years, I can say that for sure there is a lot of redundancy. The beauty part is you can always skip anything you feel is redundant.

On the other hand, if in fact there are Ford insiders who read some of this stuff, and some are in influential positions, at some point the message just might get through.

And by the way, I am a stockholder of significance so I'm not just in this because I have an interest in trucks.

So hopefully my "compatriots" as you put it will continue to follow this thread as we have.

A 25% decline in sales for sure is not a good sign.

I've been around heavy trucks, heavy equipment my entire life. I do have some knowledge but everyday I log on to this site as well as a couple of other related sites I do learn from others who have far more knowledge than I.

Hopefully you can be a positive contributor as you approach your first month anniversary date.

I have been here before, not my first rodeo. Used to post under Blue II. Some read here. So your posts are positive about Ford medium duty trucks.? The folks I know view your posts as self serving about your prior fleet memories.

Edited by SteelyD

I have been here before, not my first rodeo. Used to post under Blue II. Some read here. So your posts are positive about Ford medium duty trucks.? The folks I know view your posts as self serving about your prior fleet memories.

I can say that I enjoy Bobs' perspective into the Medium line and look forward to his continued contributions.

• Like 3

Hey, I like Bob's perspective, and those of others who post here. I have always been of the opinion that choice in powertrains is a factor in sales numbers. But, in the case of Ford, it is what it is, but we can always ask for more.

Well guy-sorry I did not get back to your post-been spending a lot of time plowing snow!

I must say-when I saw your post, and your "join date" I thought -"Wow- unusual for a newbie to form such an opinion and roll a grenade under someones bunk after one month". But I understand, you have been here before-and as to your comment .." the folks I know view your posts as self serving about your prior fleet memories"- I guess I should be flattered?-someone would have a conversation with others about me??.

Hmnn-let me guess- you work for Ford in Commercial truck marketing ;)

In any case, let me assure you, I think the only time I beat this drum is when I pick up a bit of information that in my opinion, supports the fact that there perhaps should be some additional power train choices to boost sales. A 25% loss in plant volume is not a good sign. A quick comparison I did for for same periods 2016-vs 2017 showed a 2% gain in total industry class 6 and 7 sales. And OAP is down 25%? Hence my post.

I'm as much a Ford guy as anyone who posts here. But I do have a passion about Ford -and Ford trucks in particular. And you are right-I have many fleet "memories". And I know Ford will never be building class 8's again at KTP.

But I don't want to see Ford getting out of the class 6 and 7 market, and unless they make some changes, I'm afraid that is a possibility.

Welcome back to BON.

OH -and to my "compatriots"-er "deplorables"-thx for the kind words :)

• Like 2

Latest HDT figures show Freight and Ford neck and neck with Freight eking out # 1 spot in class 6. Ford needs to get into Class 8 vocational and put Freightliner on notice that the free ride is over!! They can do it. They used to be on top in the 70's/80's. Ford: Just do it!