New Light & Medium Duty News

Wild rumor time: I hear FCA may be working on a Ram 'Super HD' class 6/7 truck, possibly to be built in the now closed Conner Ave. Viper plant. I consider this to be sketchy and not from a reliable source a this time.

Someone is just making up shit now....

True

Might be bullshit. Then again-

• Like 1

As I was saying, might be bullshit BUT;

Ram is one of the most attractive pieces of FCA's current business

Some facts

Ram is consistently the class 3-4-5 market leader. 11 mos YTD 42.3% market share. November down to 39%

Ford............ " 11 mos YTD 35.45% November up to 35.45%

In class 6 and 7, Ford has continued to lose market share. Class 6 started the year on a positive note but I think most feel this was because of some big gasoline orders. Been a steady downhill course.

Class 6 11 mos. Nov Class 7 11 mos Nov

Ford 30.0% 23.5% 3.25% 2.4%

F'liner 33.9% 47.3% 47.5% 53.5%

Hino 10.66% 12.3% 3.09% 3.8%

Nav. 21.55% 10.0% 29.1% 18.7%

No clue on Industry January numbers other than we know Ford's "Heavy Truck" stats which I would assume are 6 and 7 are down 48% per Ford figures for January.

Back to the "rumor" posted by 7M3, no clue as to his source, but when you look at Ram's solid 3-4-5 position, when you look at their Cummins alliance, when you look at IVECO's solid heavy truck presence, think all of this is lost on Sergio?

If Ford can take a "pick up" cab and stick it on some bigger frame rails, it is not rocket science.

Again, may be bullshit, but I would not bet anything today. And we know Hino is going to ratchet up a BIG notch with their move into tandems and class 8- and for sure that class 8 will not be in the "Large Car" market as class 8 sleepers are known but rather class 8 vocationals that require a tandem axle.

Let's hope Ford's big announcement on March 7 at the Work Truck Show is more than another Transit variation.

• Like 1

On Ram moving to class 6&7, maybe. In Mexico, I have seen Ram trucks with the same cab as on the class 3,4,5 trucks, but with much deeper straight frame rails and stake bodies. The only badging I could see was Ram HD. If they have the capacity to make the cabs, the frames, drivetrains, and axles are pretty much purchased components that can be put together.

On Ram moving to class 6&7, maybe. In Mexico, I have seen Ram trucks with the same cab as on the class 3,4,5 trucks, but with much deeper straight frame rails and stake bodies. The only badging I could see was Ram HD. If they have the capacity to make the cabs, the frames, drivetrains, and axles are pretty much purchased components that can be put together.

They don't need to make any of those items. They only need to package them into a final product with a name of the grill.

Well they are moving Ram pick ups out of that Mexican facility right? So what becomes of available plant capacity there???

As to Ford's "announcement " at Work Truck Show in March, I'm told one will be 4 wheel drive Transit.

Now I would be interested in something like that. I have this idea that I'm going to do some serious adventure traveling before I get too old.

I'll bet a person could build a great continent cruiser out of one of those. Preferably diesel please.

A 4 wheel drive Transit would be interesting, but likely expensive and a very limited market. GM at different times had 4 wheel drive versions of both the Astro/Safari and Express/Savanna, and neither sold well at all. Still, it would be nice to see.

Personal experience, of all the Astro/Safari vans I still see on the road the majority are 4 wheel drive

Now I would be interested in something like that. I have this idea that I'm going to do some serious adventure traveling before I get too old.

I'll bet a person could build a great continent cruiser out of one of those. Preferably diesel please.

A 4 wheel drive Transit would be interesting, but likely expensive and a very limited market. GM at different times had 4 wheel drive versions of both the Astro/Safari and Express/Savanna, and neither sold well at all. Still, it would be nice to see.

1237557677151957423.jpg

• Like 1

The old Astro/Safari awd vans have a considerable and loyal following around the snow belt. I know people doing much to keep the ones they have on the road. For the size , interior space, and capability there is not much on the market today that can equal it.

Mercedes offers a 4WD Sprinter in the US. And Ford already offers 4WD Transit in Europe. So I think Ford is just trying to make sure Mercedes doesn't one-up them here with 4WD Transit if that is indeed the model they are going to introduce.

Well they are moving Ram pick ups out of that Mexican facility right? So what becomes of available plant capacity there???

Sergio answered the Mexican capacity question -one tons for non US market. Then again I do believe that plant continued to build at least class 6 if not 7's after Mopar pulled the heavy truck plug in 70's. So they have built them there before.

Sergio answered the Mexican capacity question -one tons for non US market. Then again I do believe that plant continued to build at least class 6 if not 7's after Mopar pulled the heavy truck plug in 70's. So they have built them there before.

From Automotive News 2/12............Marchionne said the Saltillo plant would be repurposed to build one-ton commercial pickups for export to FCA's Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and Asia Pacific regions.

From Automotive News 2/12............Marchionne said the Saltillo plant would be repurposed to build one-ton commercial pickups for export to FCA's Europe/Middle East/Africa, Latin America and Asia Pacific regions.

Iveco?

Iveco?

Well back in the Daimler/ Chrysler days, I had read that Dodge wanted to get back into heavy trucks in the US as I believe they were still building at least class 6 and 7's in Mexico. Daimler of course did not want any competition in the US for Freightliner-and think they had just pulled the plug on Sterling-or were about to so the last thing they wanted was to create another competitor after effectively killing a very serious competitor- Ford.

It is a new ballgame now. I have to say I don't understand what the connection is between Fiat and Iveco. Something tells me it is similar to the Ferrari deal and Fiat does not have the direct day to day control they once did.

anyone have a clue?

Iveco?

Iveco is not part of FCA so that's definitely no.

"1 ton commercial pick" is an opaque term. Pretty much all the existing full size pickup trucks are technically "1 ton" payload, which is 2,000 lbs. You have to go back to the early 80s or late 70s to find pickup trucks with lower payload when "1 ton" actually had a specific meaning referring to beefed up class 1.

So the truck Sergio is referring to could be either a midsize truck if he means "1 ton" literally, or a Ram based heavy duty truck if he means "1 ton" metaphorically.

Colloquially speaking, the F150 is a half-ton, F250 is a 3/4-ton, and F350 is a 1-ton, so Sergio was most likely talking about a Ram 3500.

Correct... those definitions were from the time when F-100 payload was literally half ton.

But knowing Sergio, he could be deliberately obtuse and referring to "1 ton" literally. Basically, what I'm saying is don't believe anything he says... :)

Correct... those definitions were from the time when F-100 payload was literally half ton.

But knowing Sergio, he could be deliberately obtuse and referring to "1 ton" literally. Basically, what I'm saying is don't believe anything he says... :)

Those definitions don't really fit anymore, as you've been able to option an F150 with a 2,200+lb payload for quite some time, but they're what we have.

And you're certainly right about Crazy Papa Sergio...