MKZ Sets April Sales Record

mackinaw

From today's Automotive News:

Ford Motor Co. today said it sold more Lincoln MKZ sedans in April than in the first three months of the year combined, as the luxury brand began to recover from lengthy production and distribution delays on the car.

Jim Farley, Ford's executive vice president of global marketing and the head of Lincoln, said MKZ sales in the United States would be "right around the 4,000-unit sales mark."

Total MKZ sales from January through March were 3,758, a 47 percent drop from the same period in 2012. He said April was the best month ever for the MKZ, which was introduced in 2007 as a new name for the Zephyr sedan.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130430/RETAIL01/130439983#ixzz2RywveOxY

Isn't that more than the ATS or CTS sold last month? :stirpot:

For what it's worth, I see the ATS and MKZ as appealing to entirely different customers. Cadillac is aiming directly at the BMW 3-Series, and that's going to be a tough nut to crack, even though the ATS is a worthy effort.

I saw my first MKZ on the road this weekend. It looked very sharp, although the back end is better looking than the front.

Edited by grbeck

Good news, though I guess some of that number may just be backlog of finally delivering cars ordered over the past several months?

Certainly some. I think people tend to over-estimate the percentage of vehicles that are pre-ordered compared to those that are walk-in retail sales though.

Certainly some. I think people tend to over-estimate the percentage of vehicles that are pre-ordered compared to those that are walk-in retail sales though.

ABSOLUTELY, and if there is delays, as we all know there were, an awful lot of the initial hype gets watered down and a lot of the "impulsive ...gotta have it" orders go the wayside....

ABSOLUTELY, and if there is delays, as we all know there were, an awful lot of the initial hype gets watered down and a lot of the "impulsive ...gotta have it" orders go the wayside....

Not sure about you, but waaaay back when I dealt in sales, I would say at the most only maybe one in twenty people who walked in were interested in pre-ordering anything. That was largely prior to Internet shopping though, so people would come just to get a look around the lot to see what we even had first. They'd usually find something in stock and go from there.

Of course, many times now people won't even show up at the dealer until they know you have what they want. When I bought my Edge I didn't step foot in the dealer until they day they had the vehicle delivered that I was looking for. I didn't have to pre-order either. Just had a dealer who was willing to share with me what vehicles they had arriving when and I just waited until the right one came in. Easy enough.

Not sure about you, but waaaay back when I dealt in sales, I would say at the most only maybe one in twenty people who walked in were interested in pre-ordering anything. That was largely prior to Internet shopping though, so people would come just to get a look around the lot to see what we even had first. They'd usually find something in stock and go from there.

Of course, many times now people won't even show up at the dealer until they know you have what they want. When I bought my Edge I didn't step foot in the dealer until they day they had the vehicle delivered that I was looking for. I didn't have to pre-order either. Just had a dealer who was willing to share with me what vehicles they had arriving when and I just waited until the right one came in. Easy enough.

its getting more and more like that barring Limited edition vehicles, most want to see and touch etc etc, theres always the initial impulsive/ no patience crowd, but a majority of those are deemed "instant gratification" and generally fall through....

its getting more and more like that barring Limited edition vehicles, most want to see and touch etc etc, theres always the initial impulsive/ no patience crowd, but a majority of those are deemed "instant gratification" and generally fall through....

Yeah, the only thing I really wanted to see and touch were to drive a Limited and Sport back to back to make sure the Sport was really the direction I wanted to go in terms of ride and performance differences. I don't think I could ever 100% commit to a vehicle I had never driven before.

Yeah, the only thing I really wanted to see and touch were to drive a Limited and Sport back to back to make sure the Sport was really the direction I wanted to go in terms of ride and performance differences. I don't think I could ever 100% commit to a vehicle I had never driven before.

heh heh heh....I have , quite often...if i CAN. the Fiesta ST is next on the list or a KTM RC8.....and I have driven or ridden neither....

heh heh heh....I have , quite often...if i CAN. the Fiesta ST is next on the list or a KTM RC8.....and I have driven or ridden neither....
The CLOSEST I came was when I purchased my Cobra. Admittedly, I was sketchy at driving a manual at best when I got it. I drove an automatic GT first and then signed on the line for the Cobra, convinced I'd be happy with the additional power whenever I figured out how to drive it. :hysterical: 16 years later, I think I took a good risk there...
  • Like 1

The CLOSEST I came was when I purchased my Cobra. Admittedly, I was sketchy at driving a manual at best when I got it. I drove an automatic GT first and then signed on the line for the Cobra, convinced I'd be happy with the additional power whenever I figured out how to drive it. :hysterical: 16 years later, I think I took a good risk there...

I assume you are just getting used to it....lol...sounds like she is your baby...much like my Aprilia, but at 66000 miles replacement ( even though she is running great ) is constantly on my mind....

It is but we will see in 6-8 months what they really will sell like. Selling 4K in one month is nice but fairly unremarkable to me after the shortage ect... Lincoln really cant do much worse than they already have.

I ordered a 13 MKZ sight-unseen. I eventually went back and drove one as I was toggling between the Z and the SHO. It will arrive within the next week and and a half but I'm more than excited about the new Z. It's been about 6 months since I ordered but have no regrets. It amazes me when people tell me about a new car they bought then proceed to tell me how they wanted this color, that color or this option but this was the closest they had. Really? Be patient and get what you want.

I realize I'll be one of those statistics for May sales but I'm good with that despite the fact I ordered in mid December!

• Like 2

For what it's worth, I see the ATS and MKZ as appealing to entirely different customers. Cadillac is aiming directly at the BMW 3-Series, and that's going to be a tough nut to crack, even though the ATS is a worthy effort.

I saw my first MKZ on the road this weekend. It looked very sharp, although the back end is better looking than the front.

Meh..it looks like a Dodge Dart from the rear.

I believe the ATS sold around 3500 unit in March, which appears to have been its best month yet (not counting April sales that have yet to be released).

I think the MKZ had ~1000 pre-orders. Not all of these have been delivered yet and some were delivered before April so I'm guestimating 3k or more non pre-order April sales for the MKZ. The ATS didn't manage that many sales for several months.

Meh..it looks like a Dodge Dart from the rear.

Your bad eyesight just saved you over $20,000, congratulations! The only thing the 2 rears have in common is that they both have full-width tail lamps. BTW, I saw an MKZ tonight with the lights on from the rear and it looked like nothing else on the road--SIMPLY STUNNING and those LED head lights are REALLY bright!!!

post-20193-0-63457700-1367387528_thumb.jpg

post-20193-0-73694100-1367387686_thumb.png

Edited by hbalek

On top of April's good sales, Farley also mentioned that:

- 60% of Californian sales are Hybrids

- Buyers are mostly selecting high series vehicles

- Average transaction prices are 20% higher than 12 months ago

- Time on lot ...MKZ Hybrid =11 days, regular MKZ = 22 days.

Edited by jpd80

Be patient and get what you want.

I've always ordered my cars to get what I wanted and waited for them. I did break that rule sorta when I got my SVT Focus, but the one the dealer lot was the same as the one I bought..then again it was the worst car I've ever owned too.

I like the look of the full width rear light. The MKZ is stunning. The Dart/Charger also look good IMHO

Your bad eyesight just saved you over $20,000, congratulations! The only thing the 2 rears have in common is that they both have full-width tail lamps. BTW, I saw an MKZ tonight with the lights on from the rear and it looked like nothing else on the road--SIMPLY STUNNING and those LED head lights are REALLY bright!!!