Next MKS to get EB 2.9L and 9 speed trans.

It amazes me that C&D would think that a 2.9 EB would only produce 300hp. That motor will more than likely make at least as much power as the current 3.5 EB. I don't think the 3.5 EB will be offered in the new MKS - it looks like the 3.5/3.7 engines are replaced by the nano V-6"'s for car and SUV applications with the possible exception of the new Mustang.

It amazes me that C&D would think that a 2.9 EB would only produce 300hp. That motor will more than likely make at least as much power as the current 3.5 EB. I don't think the 3.5 EB will be offered in the new MKS - it looks like the 3.5/3.7 engines are replaced by the nano V-6"'s for car and SUV applications with the possible exception of the new Mustang.

I think the new Nano engines are going to be hard pressed to meet the power that the 3.5L EB engine can put out. Its most likely going to be the performance option and the 2.9 V6 Nano will be the mainstream engine.

Of the current EB engines, the 3.5 has the lowest output per liter at just over 100hp/l. If the 2.9 matchs the lowest output EB, it should make 300hp. I'd hope a new engine would do better. If they match the 2.0EB output per liter, it would make numbers similar to the current 3.5EB. If they match Kia's 2.0 turbo, they could make 400hp.

Of the current EB engines, the 3.5 has the lowest output per liter at just over 100hp/l. If the 2.9 matchs the lowest output EB, it should make 300hp. I'd hope a new engine would do better. If they match the 2.0EB output per liter, it would make numbers similar to the current 3.5EB. If they match Kia's 2.0 turbo, they could make 400hp.

But also keep in mind the car is tuned for economy, not performance for the most part...a co-worker of mine has a Kia Optima and he commutes mostly highway to work and I saw he was getting 23 MPG...

I personally think you will see 125hp per liter.....

I personally think you will see 125hp per liter.....

I Agree and you only have to look at the current 2.0 EB to see that a 2.9/3.0 V6 EB which is 50% larger

should be around 360 hp and 405 lb ft which effectively replaces the existing EB 35 in that respect.

I do hasten to add that we already know the EB 35 is soft because of transmission issues,

something Ford would be looking to correct in the near future..

The interesting part for me will be the role of the future 2.3 EB which

may have a greater impact across a wider range of vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

I Agree and you only have to look at the current 2.0 EB to see that a 2.9/3.0 V6 EB which is 50% larger

should be around 360 hp and 405 lb ft which effectively replaces the existing EB 35 in that respect.

I do hasten to add that we already know the EB 35 is soft because of transmission issues,

something Ford would be looking to correct in the near future..

The interesting part for me will be the role of the future 2.3 EB which

may have a greater impact across a wider range of vehicles.

and the numbers being thrown around regarding the 2.3 are 350hp......

• Like 1

And even if we stayed conservative at say, 270-280 HP, it's the torque that really matters more.

I have a feeling that around 310 lb ft is more than likely which approximates an early 4.6 2V....

• Like 1

350HP out of 2.3 liters? I'll believe it when I see it.

I wouldn't touch that with a 20' pole if that's the case. Talk about a high-strung hummingbird engine. Props if that can be made reliable though, that would be a feat.

Edited by EBFlex
  • Like 1

And even if we stayed conservative at say, 270-280 HP, it's the torque that really matters more.

I have a feeling that around 310 lb ft is more than likely which approximates an early 4.6 2V....

I am thinking this is much more realistic. I cannot see even a turbo 4 being and upgrade to the 3.7 in the Mustang and we know the 4 is coming. I just wonder if there is any place for this engine in the F series if it really does lose the weight that is rumored.

Edit: probably not but I was thinking it may get you by in a rcsb 2wd.

Edited by chevys
  • Like 1

I am thinking this is much more realistic. I cannot see even a turbo 4 being and upgrade to the 3.7 in the Mustang and we know the 4 is coming. I just wonder if there is any place for this engine in the F series if it really does lose the weight that is rumored.

Edit: probably not but I was thinking it may get you by in a rcsb 2wd.

Part of the 2.3 EB's mission is to replace 3.5/3.7 V6 and give up to 20% better fuel economy....LINK

Concept Evaluation
*Selected a 2.3L I4 high expansion ratio engine architecture to “right size” the engine
with future North American, high volume, CD size (i.e. mid size) vehicle applications.
*Developed top level engine attribute assumptions, architecture assumptions, and
systems assumptions to support program targets.
*Developed detailed fuel economy, emissions, performance, and NVH targets to
support top level assumptions.
*Developed individual component assumptions to support detailed targets, as well as
to guide combustion system, single
* cylinder engine, and multi cylinder engine design and development.
* Completed detailed, cycle based CAE analysis of fuel economy contribution of critical
technologies to ensure vehicle demonstrates 25% weighted city / highway fuel economy
improvement

I forgot to add, an important advance in ecoboost is the "Micro-Stratified charge" cycle:

“Micro” Stratified Charge =
- Overall Lean Homogeneous
- Early Primary Injection
- Air / Fuel ~ 20-30:1
+
- Locally Rich Stratified
- Late Secondary Injection
- “Micro” Second Pulsewidth
Advantages of “micro” stratified charge capability
- Good fuel economy
- Practical controls
- Low NOx emissions