Ford adds fuel-efficient, EB 2.0 non-pursuit cop car to lineup

When the Five Hundred came out, it was dismissed as 'too bland', so they spent $$ to make it 'exciting'.

Now, it's "too overstyled" for police work. Can't have it both ways.

It was designed as an 'exicting' passenger car first. Get an Explorer for more room.

Edited by 630land

It's a Taurus, not a BMW. Save for the SHO, it's never going to provide excitement. I don't know of too many people who given the option of another cup holder up front, more room and less fighter jet touches, who'd want less usability and less space, all for aesthetics. Just doesn't make sense for the Taurus branding...

Edited by chucky2
  • Like 1

When the Five Hundred came out, it was dismissed as 'too bland', so they spent $$ to make it 'exciting'.

Now, it's "too overstyled" for police work. Can't have it both ways.

It was designed as an 'exicting' passenger car first. Get an Explorer for more room.

Mulally insisted I am pretty sure on bringing back the "Taurus" name since it was so recognized. All I remembered about them was the transmissions failing at 60K miles like clockwork. I never understood why he thought the name had any equity. And the old ones were butt ugly with funky dodge neon headlights for a few years. God those cars were ugly.

Edited by chevys
  • Like 2

You're telling me for the past 18 months, no single end user non-business customer has come looking for a Taurus? If so, that is...yikes...

exactly..............sad.....and the Fusion put even more nails in the Coffin....IMO, drop the taurus name, change to ...heck, even Interceptor, move more upmarket, utilize the 5.0 engine and, coup de gra......RWD........FLAGSHIP......

• Like 3

exactly..............sad.....and the Fusion put even more nails in the Coffin....IMO, drop the taurus name, change to ...heck, even Interceptor, move more upmarket, utilize the 5.0 engine and, coup de gra......RWD........FLAGSHIP......

actually wouldnt be surprized if this happened, Fiesta is where the focus used to be, Focus where the Fiusion used to be, Fusion where the Taurus used to be....Taurus...its time to go up-market....

Dang man, I knew they weren't selling well but I never knew they were that bad.

actually wouldnt be surprized if this happened, Fiesta is where the focus used to be, Focus where the Fiusion used to be, Fusion where the Taurus used to be....Taurus...its time to go up-market....

It could be called...wait for it...Crown Vic... :D

• Like 1

Yeah, check out the monthly sales threads on here sometime. The Taurus has always been disappointing sales wise since the 2010 reskin....which makes it understandable why they would offset some of the sales with fleet. But even then, the Explorer is a far better patrol vehicle than the Taurus. Visibility is better, price is comparable. Fuel economy is just as bad, but that's to be expected.

3/5

Edited by EBFlex

W know that CD4 Taurus/MKS is in the pipeline, so that should go a long way towards rectifying the criticisms.

Ford has a great RWD large car and Utility platform just begging to be saved but unfortunately....NOT INVENTED HERE

Edited by jpd80

Yeah, check out the monthly sales threads on here sometime. The Taurus has always been disappointing sales wise since the 2010 reskin....which makes it understandable why they would offset some of the sales with fleet. But even then, the Explorer is a far better patrol vehicle than the Taurus. Visibility is better, price is comparable. Fuel economy is just as bad, but that's to be expected.

3/5

It helps that Taurus and Explorer are D3 based and come form the same plant, effectively increasing Explorer builds and increasing transaction prices.

Taurus is now purely incremental sales on D3, so when it changes it will become incremental product on CD4.

People who want Taurus are buying them, the main game now is the efficient Fusion.

Edited by jpd80

It could be called...wait for it...Crown Vic... :D

retail yes, but they ARE the choice of Police and municipalities, both Dodges and GMs efforts arent being bought nearly as well....and the Explorer PIs are a hit for two reasons, SIZE and utility....

W know that CD4 Taurus/MKS is in the pipeline, so that should go a long way towards rectifying the criticisms.

Ford has a great RWD large car and Utility platform just begging to be saved but unfortunately....NOT INVENTED HERE

that I know J, but something tells me Control Blade WILL see the light of day in something down the road....

the ante better be upped and the interior cavernous with legroom comparable to the Flex second row....and PLEASE, put that damn 5.0 with DI in a sedan......screw CAFE....flagship needs desirability, and as good as the eco is, Im STILL a V8 fan....

• Like 2

Yeah, check out the monthly sales threads on here sometime. The Taurus has always been disappointing sales wise since the 2010 reskin....

I'm not so sure that Ford is that disappointed, given the lack of visible consumer marketing effort to sell the car.

It seems that fleet sales to police, government and industry plus the MKS is sufficient for CAP with the D3 platform, for now.

Consider that the next MKS should be quite an advance over the current one, with more "bespoke" options like Max has talked about. The point is, if the MKS is to be built at CAP, then the assembly systems for its increased complexity will have to be built and organized, so it could well be that Ford is OK with the Taurus while it works on getting CAP ready for the next generation.

that I know J, but something tells me Control Blade WILL see the light of day in something down the road....

I sure hope so, a "maverick would be nice..

CB IRS is being replaced by Integral link suspension that does the job better, it's under new Fusion and coming Mustang

Page4_zps37f8e90a.jpg

Page8_zps53882884.jpg

Mulally insisted I am pretty sure on bringing back the "Taurus" name since it was so recognized.

Taurus had a recognition rate with the general public of something like 80%. Five Hundred was probably in the single digits if that high. It was a no-brainer that didn't cost them a dime. Where's the downside?

What I find interesting is why the 2.0 is not pursuit rated. It's got 10 less HP than the Crown Vic (plus two more gears) and slots nicely between the 3.5 and 3.7 for torque.

Really, there is no reason that the 2.0 shouldn't be pursuit rated. In reality, even in civilian trim, the 2.0 Taurus is still considerably faster than the 'pursuit rated' Crown Vic.

Not rating it for pursuit is pure marketing.

What I find interesting is why the 2.0 is not pursuit rated. It's got 10 less HP than the Crown Vic (plus two more gears) and slots nicely between the 3.5 and 3.7 for torque.

Really, there is no reason that the 2.0 shouldn't be pursuit rated. In reality, even in civilian trim, the 2.0 Taurus is still considerably faster than the 'pursuit rated' Crown Vic.

Is there a specific definition of "pursuit rated" or is that just a marketing term?

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing, but...

Is there a specific definition of "pursuit rated" or is that just a marketing term?

I think there is more to it than just HP. I think it has to do with better brakes, handling upgrades, ability to use all that HP for extended lengths of time, etc. being required to make it "pursuit rated." While it probably is a marketing term, I'm betting there are other things that go into making it "pursuit rated" than just HP, and this EB I4 just doesn't get those goodies.

Edited by fordmantpw

I was wondering the same thing, but...

I think there is more to it than just HP. I think it has to do with better brakes, handling upgrades, ability to use all that HP for extended lengths of time, etc. being required to make it "pursuit rated." While it probably is a marketing term, I'm betting there are other things that go into making it "pursuit rated" than just HP, and this EB I4 just doesn't get those goodies.

If I had to guess I would say mostly brakes and tires to handle higher speeds, but without an objective definition it's still just marketing whether they want to call it pursuit rated or not.

Taurus had a recognition rate with the general public of something like 80%. Five Hundred was probably in the single digits if that high. It was a no-brainer that didn't cost them a dime. Where's the downside?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ford actually saved some dimes related to costs of model name decals affixed to the decklid: eleven characters for FIVE HUNDRED versus six for TAURUS. ;)

$T2eC16VHJGwFFY-SmV)bBRhw7Tz)5!~~60_35.J

• Like 4

Are the Taurus's sales really that bad? They're selling at about the same rate as the Fiesta--according to the August retail sales figures, the Taurus and Fiesta have each sold ~50K units YTD, and the Taurus is significantly more expensive.

Maybe a better name for the top dog would be Galaxy 500? Sure sounds better to me than Taurus. Mulally is a wizard but I disagree with him on the Taurus name. It does have a lot of recognition but its not all good. It would be like Chevy bringing back the Cavalier or something. Well, not that bad but you get the idea. Sometimes you need to shed the luggage of the past.

I would be interested to know more about what is and isnt "pursuit rated". Probably just tires and brakes with some bs marketing thrown in.

• Like 1