Jalopnik Reviews the MKZ

Horrible review. Again with the Fusion crap. If I wanted a Fusion, I would have bought one. Why do people insist on comparing apples to oranges? Anyway, all the Lincoln haters seem to hang out at that site.

Edited by xgman

Bad journalism or not I felt overall the grades and statements regarding the the vehicle were fairly spot on.

The poor scores on handling, acceleration and braking do not agree with most of the other reviews that you like to quote such as motortend. Quite the opposite in fact. You can't pick two reviews that say different things and claim they're both accurate.

Bad journalism or not I felt overall the grades and statements regarding the the vehicle were fairly spot on.

Have you driven the MKZ and it's competition?

I was curious as to how the numbers stacked up to the "average" review of the MKZ's competition. I've driven neither the MKZ nor it's competition, so I don't know how his grades stack up to "real life".

The poor scores on handling, acceleration and braking do not agree with most of the other reviews that you like to quote such as motortend. Quite the opposite in fact. You can't pick two reviews that say different things and claim they're both accurate.

Interesting, since I have made no mention in regards to the MKZ review completed by MT. So how exactly did I agree with the MT review of the MKZ if I never commented on it?

As to the handling aspect, I've seen on other reviews there is a lot of body roll. As for acceleration, did MT review the 3.7L or the 2.0L that Jalopnik did? Jalopnik stated the brakes did stop good, but they were very touchy. How exactly is that bad?

If I have commented on the MT MKZ review, I'd love to see it (please provide post) and would concede, but for the life of me can not say I have ever commented on an MT review of the MKZ

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

I don't mind jalopnik, they have some really good articles. I feel their brand is more of a blogging site and they use humor and satire to make their points. Also, they have explained their scores before. A 5 does not mean bad. A 5 means it places with the standard offering for the segment. Maybe the 5 for handling was a little low, but it doesn't seem like they had the summer tire option.

Edited by jinx8402

It was a 2.0 and they said nothing at all about the brakes being touchy or anything else negative. When most reviewers cite an objective shortcoming then it's pretty safe to assume there is something to it. When different reviews say opposite things then one of them has to be wrong or there was a defect with a test vehicle.

I don't mind jalopnik, they have some really good articles. I feel their brand is more of a blogging site and they use humor and satire to make their points. Also, they have explained their scores before. A 5 does not mean bad. A 5 means it places with the standard offering for the segment. Maybe the 5 for handling was a little low, but it doesn't seem like they had the summer tire option.

It was more about the comments than the actual scores.

Here's what they said about the brakes:

The pedal is soft and the brakes are grabby, it's not the greatest combination. A delicate touch goes a long way here. You have to be thoughtful about how you apply the brakes, or your building blueprints and thin rimmed glasses will slam right into the windshield.

We don't want that, now do we?

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 1

Again with the Fusion crap. If I wanted a Fusion, I would have bought one. Why do people insist on comparing apples to oranges?

It's not an apples to oranges comparison but rather different varieties of apples. Red Delicious versus McIntosh perhaps. Or maybe regular Red Delicious versus overpriced organic Red Delicious.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

What's the line from Star Wars from Obi Wan to Luke, "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view." That's what I was thinking as I was reading the review.

Basically, what are your expectations of Lincoln? If you're expecting a bespoke sports sedan in the 3 series mold and that's what you're comparing to, then yes, in many areas, it's not going to measure up. It's soft by comparison, or is it?

If you're expecting an upscale coach experience that takes an excellent Ford vehicle and upgrades it, imbuing it with its own unique sense of style and flair, then the MKZ is a strong and solid competitor, or is it?

More than any other vehicle I recall in recent times, the MKZ is the ultimate vehicular Rorschach test. It's a measure of the driver's automotive soul that says more about the person than the vehicle. Look at all the widely divergent reviews. It's a great and pleasurable drive, or it's soft and smushy. It's a strong and smooth performer, or its a dog. It's got great seats, or its intolerably uncomfortable. It's a strong value that feature for feature is thousands less than its competitors, or it's a criminally overpriced Ford Fusion Titanium. It's a welcome individualization for Ford's upscale lines, or it's a rebadge.

Both perspectives are probably correct, from a certain point of view, and that view depends upon your expectations. If you *expect* that Lincolns should be A-list, bespoke sports sedans going mano-a-mano with Caddy, BMW and MB, then you're probably going to be underwhelmed. If you *expect* a second tier Acura-esque vehicle that is Ford derived but bristles with upscale features, comforts, and style at a competitive price, then you're going to be happy. It depends upon what you expect. Which Lincoln *should* we expect?

Well, as far as I've read, Ford is aiming to be an excellent second-tier brand right now targeting big market niches with, if successful, a future attempt at leaping up to A list.

If you're argument is that Ford *should* aiming for A-list Caddy/BMW/MB level right now, well, that's a different argument for another thread and isn't about the MKZ of today. How many A-list brands can the market support? This is an existential question many brands are deciding right now. Some, like Lexus and Jaguar, have decided to go for broke and aim for those brands. Others, like Volvo, are having a civil war in their HQ about whether they go upmarket and aim for the S-classes of the world or if they go mid-range and aim for the TL's of the world. Other makes, such as Honda with Acura or GM with Buick, appear to be solidly and publically in the entry premium class. And Lincoln? Ford's public statements indicate they aspire to be an excellent second-tier brand aiming at large market niches that, if all goes well, might vault for A-list. Is that OK?

As a 39 year old who is about to order an MKZ Hybrid and has driven and owned BMW's, MB, Saabs, Contour SVT's, and Taurus SHO's, it's OK with me. I'm fine and down with Lincoln being a "Better Mercury." I'm keeping my thundering, modded, 320+HP, AWD, manual Turbo-X wagon for the fun weekend drives in the twisties. What I want and need, though, is a relaxing, comfortable, premium vehicle that looks fantastic and modern inside and out that gets great MPG and is a good value in its class and resonates with me emotionally. For me, that's the MKZ. I don't want a Ford Fusion, and I don't want a BMW 5 series. I want an MKZ, and about 3000 or so people a month seem to agree.

That said, I believe to fully succeed, Lincoln does need to do a few things in the future:

- I still think the entire line is overpriced by about $2-3000 if they really want to drive the value equation home, and I don't think there should be a "base" MKZ as it is now...

- They need to be HP and 0-60 competitive with the class with every engine (save hybrid, for now) or they are inviting critique. Not be sport sedans, but be in the performance game... I think they'll get that with the upcoming engines...

- I believe reviews are right that they're not 100% there yet making sitting in an MKZ a different sense of occasion than in a Fusion. They're about 3/4 of the way there, but not all the way yet. Happy, all the interviews I've read with Lincoln people indicate they get this... This is fine now, but does need to be fixed fast.

I'm greatly looking forward to my MKZ, and to following the evolution of this brand into the future. I think the MKC will be a solid success and very much believe the next MKS will be critically important to setting the future tone.

Sorry for the length, but reviews like this one just make me mad...

• Like 5

excellent review, Iiari

More than any other vehicle I recall in recent times, the MKZ is the ultimate vehicular Rorschach test.

^ love this ^

the only thing I liked at Jollypop was the grille closeup I swiped for future chopping

He commented a lot about handling, ride, etc., but never mentioned whether he tried all 3 levels of comfort, normal, and sport. First report I've read that doesn't reference those levels when writing about how the vehicle rides and handles.

As for value, I bought the top of the line Preferred Hybrid, and paid $3K less than my son paid for his new Taurus.

There have been about a dozen identities in the last decade, none of them have resonated with the public, and Lincoln has floundered. Sales have decreased and the once proud leader of American luxury is now Ford's Miley Cyrus.

Best line in a review ever!

Come on Lincoln Horseless Carriage Motor Company, stick out your tongue!

Not a great review, but not a bad one. Like V8 said, the points raised are spot on and have been found in many other reviews. It's just not a solid effort. When your biggest feature is a big moon roof, you have issues.

• Like 1

Not a great review, but not a bad one. Like V8 said, the points raised are spot on and have been found in many other reviews. It's just not a solid effort. When your biggest feature is a big moon roof, you have issues.

What do you consider the ES's biggest feature to be, or the C-Class', or the 5-series. What makes a 5 special or unique?

Edited by Iiari