2014 Ford Fiesta ST and '13 Focus: Dyno Tested

Here's the thing. We've found that turbocharged engines can be something of a wild card when subjected to the truth-telling of a dyno test. Sometimes, the engine overachieves (looking at you, Volkswagen). Other times we find they're sensitive to heat and deliver inconsistent results.

Curious to see how the 2014 Ford Fiesta ST would fare, we headed over to MD Automotive and strapped it down to the shop's Dynojet chassis dyno.

Here's what we found:

fe_1023132_600.jpg

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2014-ford-fiesta-st-dyno-tested.html

Edited by mettech

TTAC - LINK

Of course the biggest difference between the ST and a base Fiesta is under the short hood. Ford’s GTDI 197 hp (as long as you spring for 93 octane fuel), EcoBoost 1.6 I4 delivers 202 ft lbs of torque @ 4,200 rpm. It does zero-60 in 6.9 second with a top speed of 137mph. Ford claims you should be able to see 26mpg city and 35mpg highway “easy”. For some reason, I did not come close to that during my test drive. It’s all electronically assisted by Ford’s Torque Vectoring Control (TVC) system to brake the inside front wheel to aid agility, and 3-mode Electronic Stability Control. The three modes are:

ON = intervenes fully to prevent loss of control,

WIDE SLIP (or sport) = ESC intervenes later to allowing skidding, and

OFF = no intervention.

The TVC is always on regardless what you do with the ESC. Peak power is made in “overboost” mode, when the turbo is putting in a maximum of 21 psi. To stretch the engine’s durability, Ford programmed the computer to cut pressure after 20 seconds at wide-open throttle. As hard as I tried I couldn’t reach that 20-second barrier. Surprisingly Ann Arbor does not have any salt flats nearby. Unless you’re fleeing the cops (see below), you’ll probably never feel the turbo cut out, and if you do, just lift for a second and the timer resets.

Perspective check:

in the late 80's, the Mustang GT and the IROC-Z were fighting it out with 225-230 hp, and the Corvette was getting to the 300 hp mark. Nowadays, the former hp figures are what you get in "hot hatches", and the current Mustang/Camaro have more hp in their base V6s than the old 'Vette.

Occasionally, this stuff hits me, and I shake my head. A 420 (net!) hp 'Stang was worthy of the cover of "Hot Rod" back then. It's the same power a (US Legal) Lamborghini Countach had. A Shelby putting out 662 ponies would have seemed as speculative as flying cars.

• Like 6

Perspective check:

A Shelby putting out 662 ponies would have seemed as speculative as flying cars.

For sure. There's a video of a Shelby doing 200 mph on some European course, all nice and stable, with no giant wing, even. Imagine 200 mph with a warranty, from your Ford dealer.

So, the next Mustang gets built in the EU. Now German gonzo tuners will get a whack at it, too. :)

Bzuh? How does the 184hp 'closely align' with Ford's flywheel figures? Figure 15% drivetrain losses, and that 184hp turns into 216hp. That's every so slightly higher than 197hp.

They are saying the number 184 is close to the number 197. Meaning the car is significantly under rated if the wheel horsepower is almost the same as the stated crank horsepower.

More and more, it seems like the Fiesta is the ultimate performance bargain in the market right now...!

Depends on when the "performance" line gets crossed for you. It's a good performer for its segment, but it's still not very exciting compared to what's available on the market as a whole.

Depends on when the "performance" line gets crossed for you. It's a good performer for its segment, but it's still not very exciting compared to what's available on the market as a whole.

in that price range it has few peers Nick........if any....

• Like 1

They are saying the number 184 is close to the number 197. Meaning the car is significantly under rated if the wheel horsepower is almost the same as the stated crank horsepower.

The vehicle will run in overboost condition for around 20 seconds where it makes more power than the sustained figures.

in that price range it has few peers Nick........if any....

I would argue that the base Mustang is probably one of the biggest bangs for the buck out there period. About 800 more give or take. While not in the same class it would be my pick all day long over the either St's. No turbos, RWD, better styling(subjective) and just more desirable imo.

Edited by chevys

They are not in the same catagory and cetainly not the same market demographic. Some looking at a base mustang is would not be interested in a hot hatch. The ST package would provide a lot more flash than the base Mustang, no offense to the Mustang, but we are talking base here

• Like 1

Oh, I'm not saying it does. It fairs well...in its class. Just saying that in my opinion, nothing in that price range, even the ST, really offers what many would consider to be real "performance".

Your definition of performance isn't shared by everyone. Hot hatches have been big for at least 2 decades. It's not always about huge hp.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm not saying it does. It fairs well...in its class. Just saying that in my opinion, nothing in that price range, even the ST, really offers what many would consider to be real "performance".

With all do respect to Mustangs, lord knows I have had more than a few and currently AutoX an '82 GT, the Fiesta is a more refined vehicle. It rides better, steers better and has better fit and finish inside. That being said the GT500 is extremely desirable IMO.

Nick all I'll say here is as an experienced Mustang owner (have had 7 or 8 through the years) while this car doesn't sport 400+hp which is needed these days for SOME to consider a car "performance", this car is definitely one of the most well sorted, stable, nimble and yes fairly fast cars out there today. Its also quiet on the road, offers all of the best infotainment features and all for under $30k. Right now I fail to be able to think of anything that rivals it in the price range. And no, I'm not going to accept a prior posters comparison of a Focus ST vs a base Mustang. Different platform, rear drive which makes it unmanageable as a daily in bad weather and the Focus is screwed together better in my opinion. There's none of the harshness of the Mustang suspension in the Focus. We're really talking the best available small car in Fords arsenal against their base level "performance" car and I'd bet that from just about any angle the ST will out perform the base Mustang with the exception maybe of straight line top speed. Focus ST will BTW do 155 so I'm not so sure that's even a fact.