2015 Ford Edge Concept Introduced

What is the obsession with Lincoln having exclusive engines? Just make a great car with great styling that handles and rides appropriately, has plenty of power, and nobody will care if it shares an engine. It will sell regardless!

Many future Lincoln models will simply require unique powertrains to be competitive in their segments. One example: the availability of a 300+ horsepower powertrain isn't the norm in mainstream midsize sedans, but it is normal for midsize luxury sedans. Another example: The power offered by the 2.3 EB in the MKC puts it on par with other small luxury CUVs on the market such as the X3 and Q5. The Escape doesn't need that much power to be competitive with small mainstream CUV's.

In other words, Lincoln doesn't need unique powertrains to differentiate themselves from Ford. They need unique powertrains to keep up with what are supposed to be its competitors.

Edited by NickF1011

Many future Lincoln models will simply require unique powertrains to be competitive in their segments. One example: the availability of a 300+ horsepower powertrain isn't the norm in mainstream midsize sedans, but it is normal for midsize luxury sedans. Another example: The power offered by the 2.3 EB in the MKC puts it on par with other small luxury CUVs on the market such as the X3 and Q5. The Escape doesn't need that much power to be competitive with small mainstream CUV's.

In other words, Lincoln doesn't need unique powertrains to differentiate themselves from Ford. They need unique powertrains to keep up with what are supposed to be its competitors.

another alternative....they bump up the HP in the 2.3 and make an ST model....theres no doubt in my mind the 2.3 WILL see light of day in a Ford product, how about a 350 hp fusion ST....makes sense spreading the wealth as such and amortizing....

another alternative....they bump up the HP in the 2.3 and make an ST model....theres no doubt in my mind the 2.3 WILL see light of day in a Ford product, how about a 350 hp fusion ST....makes sense spreading the wealth as such and amortizing....

I think I just posted a few minutes ago that it's all but been confirmed the 2.3 will appear in the new Mustang. So yeah, of course it will appear in Ford-branded vehicles. I doubt it'll show up anytime soon in the Escape though unless something else above it becomes available in the MKC too.

Exclusivity will be class specific. Meaning, the Escape will not get that engine. Just like the 3.7L is exclusive to the Lincoln MKZ, because the Fusion doesn't get it.

THIS ^^^^

I don't expect the Escape to get the 2.3L from the MKC. I wouldn't expect the Fusion to get the 2.3L if the MKZ gets it.

Lincoln NEEDS this to more fully separate itself from Ford. Not just for perception's sake but also for performance in general and to be more competitive.

For what its worth I am sold on the power delivery if not the MPG of Fords EB startegy. I clocked a 6.65 0-60 and 14.85 @ 91.7 time (G-Meter verifed accurate by other runs/vehicals) in our 2.0EB 3700+Lb Escape. That is a feat that the 3.0 would have difficulty matching. FE, ranges between 21-24 mpg average. The verve of this drivetrain has exceeded my expectations, while the FE has been somewhat disappointing. The highest steady state was in the 27 mpg range at 70+ MPH (expected better). I am ok with the trade off as the torque makes for outstanding drivability.

The cool thing about TC engines; the greater the load (and exhaust heat created) the faster the turbine spins the greater the torque. That is why the EB 3.5 F150 simply outhauls others in its class and does it on the bottom end - torque. Point being; weight (nor altitude) upset turbo boosted motors, on the contrary higher loads shorten spool time.

Edited by Project-Fairmont

For what its worth I am sold on the power delivery if not the MPG of Fords EB startegy. I clocked a 6.65 0-60 and 14.85 @ 91.7 time (G-Meter verifed accurate by other runs/vehicals) in our 2.0EB 3700+Lb Escape. That is a feat that the 3.0 would have difficulty matching. FE, ranges between 21-24 mpg average. The verve of this drivetrain has exceeded my expectations, while the FE has been somewhat disappointing. The highest steady state was in the 27 mpg range at 70+ MPH (expected better). I am ok with the trade off as the torque makes for outstanding drivability.

The cool thing about TC engines; the greater the load (and exhaust heat created) the faster the turbine spins the greater the torque. That is why the EB 3.5 F150 simply outhauls others in its class and does it on the bottom end - torque. Point being; weight (nor altitude) upset turbo boosted motors, on the contrary higher loads shorten spool time.

remember though, every engine has its limits....with the Explorers curb weight, those limits have been exceeded IMO.....

And my opinion is based on CAFE reality. The 2017 standards will leave no room for such beast as a 3.5 V6 in a midsize CUV in a high volume trim level.

2.3 Ecoboost will most certainly have better EPA mpg rating than the 3.5 V6. If Ford offers an alternative big V6 in the Edge with worse EPA mpg they will only be shooting themselves in the foot. And frankly, no one else would either unless they are prepared to pay a big fine (e.g. someone like Mercedes so they can keep selling ML63).

I think the MKX will definitely have V6 option. Perhaps the 3.7 initially but replaced by 2.7 nano after a year or so when that engine is ready.

A 3.5L V6 is a beast now? My, how times have changed.

Here's my thing... if other companies (namely the Japanese ones) can offer a V6 that gets 35 mpg highway in some applications, surely Ford can. If they don't want to, then hey.

Regarding a 2.3EB, if it's substantially better in the EPA test than the engine it's replacing, fine. If it only improves MPG by no more 2 and is less powerful than what it replaces, there should be some reevaluation in Dearborn.

the 2.0 eco works in the Edge...but based on sales very few want to pony up the extra $1000 for trivial MPG improvements, and Ive said it once, and I will say it again, the same 2.0 eco in the Explorer is an utter failure...doesnt work.....weight is the ecos enemy in the Explorer.....now MAYBE the 2.3 would work in the Explorer, offset the additional poundage, and work similar to the 2.0 in the Edge...but I would still wager the take rate on the 6 to be significantly better....

Somebody feels me. :)

I believe that was the 3.0 PIP from the Fusion. I think my 2007 Mercury Montego was only 203 hp. Curb weight on my car is 3670 lbs. 0-60mph was about 7.9 seconds.

Just a FYI for everyone's comparison.

Huh? I could have swore the PIP D30 was a 240 HP engine. I had a 2011 Escape with it and unless Ford was doing false advertising it was always rated at 240 HP.

THIS ^^^^

I don't expect the Escape to get the 2.3L from the MKC. I wouldn't expect the Fusion to get the 2.3L if the MKZ gets it.

Lincoln NEEDS this to more fully separate itself from Ford. Not just for perception's sake but also for performance in general and to be more competitive.

That's too bad because the 2.3L would have made a nice Fusion ST. With the need to give Lincoln better engines then Ford does this mean we won't see performance models from Ford in the future? Just curious.

Edited by 2005Explorer

But as the base engine, not as the top engine. 2.0L - top engine in Fusion and Escape, Base engine in MKC and MKZ.

Pretty sure you'll find 2.0 Eb is basic in MKC and 2.3 EB available as AWD only

Think about it, the V6 EB and 3.7 launched in Lincoln as exclusive but usage widened pretty quickly after 12months.

I hive a feeling that the 2.7 V6 would probably replace the 2.5 I-4 and giv Fusion nice image boost with revvier fuel efficient engine.

In any case, it shows that Ford may be just about to change ll the rules again with new engines coming on line next year.

If Ford really wanted to stir the possum with GM, consider Silveardo with it's upgraded 4.3 V6 - 286 hp and 305 lb ft.

A much lighter F150 sporting a 2.3 Ecoboost with 275 hp and 300 lb ft of torque would be more than a match,

think about the possibilities in Taurus nd Explorer - especially the PI units....The competition would have no answer.

Edited by jpd80

Huh? I could have swore the PIP D30 was a 240 HP engine. I had a 2011 Escape with it and unless Ford was doing false advertising it was always rated at 240 HP.

That's too bad because the 2.3L would have made a nice Fusion ST. With the need to give Lincoln better engines then Ford does this mean we won't see performance models from Ford in the future? Just curious.

It was 240hp. Someone just made up some random numbers to support his point of view.

Ford had a very clear marketing message when the 2.0 Ecoboost came out - it was to replace 3.0 V6. Same horsepower but lots more torque.

The 2.3 Ecoboost will likely be phased in to all Ford vehicles that current use 3.5 V6. I don't know why anyone would even debate that. Look at the published horsepower and torque... it's being setup as the 3.5 replacement. I can see it being the mainstream engine choice in the next Taurus and Explorer.

3.7 V6 will have a longer shelve life because it is in F-150 and Transit, but I expect the 2.7 Nano V6 to replace the 3.7 in most passenger cars by 2017.

• Like 1

It was 240hp. Someone just made up some random numbers to support his point of view.

Ford had a very clear marketing message when the 2.0 Ecoboost came out - it was to replace 3.0 V6. Same horsepower but lots more torque.

The 2.3 Ecoboost will likely be phased in to all Ford vehicles that current use 3.5 V6. I don't know why anyone would even debate that. Look at the published horsepower and torque... it's being setup as the 3.5 replacement. I can see it being the mainstream engine choice in the next Taurus and Explorer.

3.7 V6 will have a longer shelve life because it is in F-150 and Transit, but I expect the 2.7 Nano V6 to replace the 3.7 in most passenger cars by 2017.

Well said.

And to add support to what you're saying, Ford offers the 2.0 Ecoboost alongside the 3.5 V6 in vehicles like Taurus, explorer and current Edge.

If the 2.0 EB was a 3.5 V6 replacement then Ford wouldn't be likely sell both alongside each other.

• Like 1

The PIP D30 was rated at 240 HP.

The confusion comes with the older, non-PIP D30, which was rated at 221 HP in the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr and 203 HP in the Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle.

Yes, I was quoting the non-pip version from Wikipedia. I did not scroll down to see the pip version. I did NOT make up anything as somebody suggested.

I drove a non pip fusion 3.0L for 7 years.

Edited by akirby

The 2.3 Ecoboost will likely be phased in to all Ford vehicles that current use 3.5 V6. I don't know why anyone would even debate that.

So what happens to the 2.0L? You don't need both - they're too close in power. So now you only have one small EB engine for both ford and Lincoln.

Why didn't they make the 2.0 a 2.3 from the beginning?

Why did Lincoln say that the engine was developed for them?

I could be totally wrong and if you were only looking at ford without Lincoln it makes sense. But with Lincoln it makes more sense to me to keep the 2.0L for Ford and the 2.3 for Lincoln just like the 3.5/3.7 is today. You can still use the 2.3 for a ST fusion or mustang.

It all depends on the buyers...the 3.5/3.7L still have plenty of life in them design wise. I don't see them getting phased out anytime soon, esp since the Ecoboost versions are more or less V8 replacement engines.

I don't disagree with this statement in the mid to long term time frames. It's the smart business thing to do. However, for the short term, the Lincoln brand needs some exclusivity from the ford products that are coming off the same line. Unique Lincoln features for a while can help to build some of that much coveted cachet, which long term can help boost profits for the FMC overall.

2015 Ford Edge Concept Introduced

1384926729717.jpg

FordEdgeConcept_02_HR.jpg

FordEdgeConcept_03_HR.jpg

Top image looks to eggish shaped and has a very Santa Fe design (front clip), which isn't bad, but would like to see something more unique to Ford.

The 2nd image makes the rear windshield to have a crazy aggressive rake, which looks nice. But looking from the profile (3rd), it appears to be an illusion based on the angles. Still there, but doesn't look nearly as pronounced.

Not bad for a concept, want to see how the design changes for the production model.

Edited by V8-X

So what happens to the 2.0L? You don't need both - they're too close in power. So now you only have one small EB engine for both ford and Lincoln.

Why didn't they make the 2.0 a 2.3 from the beginning?

Why did Lincoln say that the engine was developed for them?

I could be totally wrong and if you were only looking at ford without Lincoln it makes sense. But with Lincoln it makes more sense to me to keep the 2.0L for Ford and the 2.3 for Lincoln just like the 3.5/3.7 is today. You can still use the 2.3 for a ST fusion or mustang.

Why does something needs to happen to the 2.0? Ford needs 2.0 Ecoboost because engine size and/or CO2 based annual tax is prevalent in the rest of the world so 2.3 liters will make the engine uncompetitive in those markets. 2.3 Ecoboost is primarily aimed at the US market, just like the 3.5 V6 was and still is.

Lincoln also said 3.7 V6 was exclusive for MKS and MKT and now it is in a Ford pickup truck and will soon be in a Ford van.

I think you are missing the big picture here... 2.3 Ecoboost is a new clean sheet design so it will have spawn many different versions later on for different applications, including smaller displacements to make economic sense. It doesn't make sense for Ford to invest in a brand new engine design and only put it in 20,000 Lincolns a year. It will be in Lincoln models for the first year or two but it will get rolled out to other Ford models.