Diesel F-150 rumor/confirm?

Yes. Because that couldn't possibly be a desperation move to claim relevance in a market where their products are marginalized and inferior.

No one said that. Geesh. The only thing people said that currently,Ford does not offer a diesel option for the F150. No they are not competitive currently with people wanting a diesel motor. Sure they have alternatives like the planned 2.7, but that is an alternative. Some may say it is better, and maybe it is, but it is not a diesel.

Edited by Chester

And diesel is better because you can give more money per gallon to the oil companies, especially in the winter when home heating oil eats into supply. When I looked at the pump this week, the cost of diesel was almost a dollar more per gallon here in the greater Boston area. You would need to get 25% better fuel economy just the match the miles per dollar, that is not even taking into account the additional up front cost for that engine. Give it break

Some of you guys seem not to understand...a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck is really all about status,style and perception. Some of you can highbrow,and look down your nose at a diesel 1/2 ton,but I will tell you that a diesel buyer in the 1/2 ton market wants to tell his friends he has a diesel...not a gasoline 2.7 ecoboost.

Some of you guys seem not to understand...a diesel in a 1/2 ton truck is really all about status,style and perception. Some of you can highbrow,and look down your nose at a diesel 1/2 ton,but I will tell you that a diesel buyer in the 1/2 ton market wants to tell his friends he has a diesel...not a gasoline 2.7 ecoboost.

That is a ridiculous statement.

Not really. In the automotive world, perception is often more real than reality. The buyer buys what the buyer desires. There is the hardcore diesel crowd, and to them there is no desireable substitute. I know some pickup buyers that will only buy a pickup if it has a Cummins in it, The trck could be a converted Yugo, but if it has a Cummins, it is good.

While there may be a hardcore group of diesel light truck buyers, it appears that Ford is betting that they are minute compared to the volume of gasoline truck buyers

that Ford can reach by expanding its use of Ecoboost. No other light truck manufacturer offers anything like Ford's Ecoboost technology, a strategy that currently sees

close to 45% of existing sales covered by the larger 3.5 Ecoboost V6. Offering a 2.7 V6 Ecoboost is simply the next logical step in improving gasoline efficiency.

Ford already has what many other truck manufacturers wish they had, two F150 plants running flat out on three shifts a day producing

as many gasoline trucks as Ford can sell. Defending that volume of gasoline trucks is higher priority than a diesel,,,,,,,,,,right now.

That diesel option is still open to Ford but will buyers want a diesel once they see how good the 2.7 Ecoboost really is..

Edited by jpd80

Every mfg but Ford will be playing in that space.

Where are the Chebbie/GM half-ton diesel plans? Even with their recent slide, they're still the second-biggest gorilla in the jungle.

Without Ford and GM in the mix, Dodge is the only major player bringing out a half-ton diesel. As for Toyota and Nissan, "irrelevant" is far too kind of a description of their trucks.

GM/GMC have confirmed the Colorado/Canyon twins getting diesel. If you do want to split hairs over it I suppose you could call these new models 92% of a half ton, and say they never take sales from F-150 shoppers (and of course no one here has ever asked for a Ranger/F-100). Again, Ram, GM, Nissan, and Toyota all have plans to bring a light duty diesel pickup to market between now and 2016 (maybe 2017 on toyota, I dunno). And yes, they're (again) looking at it for the Sierra too.

I get that Ford is the leader in this market, and some fanbois just want to dismiss every single one of the others as either/both irrelevant/inferior/desperately jealous of Ford for having a unique engineering/production source of light truck turbo gasoline engines, but it is certainly not going to be a shrinking proportion of light pickup sales over the next 5 years.

So, GM has no (stated) plans to bring out a half-ton diesel. Thanks.

As for Toyota and Nissan being irrelevant, the sales numbers speak for themselves.

I remember how the Taurus used to be the best selling car, the Ranger the best selling small truck etc. etc. Times change and peoples buying habits change. Maybe in the truck world, small turbo gas engines will reign supreme. Maybe diesels will catch on in a big way. What I doubt stays is the big block V8's. They will have a place, but at a much reduced rate.

What I would like to see Ford do with their half tons is keep pushing their small gas turbos, but have a 4-5 liter diesel as the top engine choice. Beef up the half ton slightly with a little better payload, breaks and a tow rating at say 14k for the diesel. Kind of split the difference between the current 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Something suitable for smaller goosenecks and 5th wheels. I'd buy one.

I hate to break it to everybody, but Ford had been testing diesel's for longer than everybody thinks. They had diesel mules in PN96 and the U152. You just don't know about them.

Then there must be a reason Ford hasn't offered one and has instead decided to offer EB engines. Ford will offer one if/when they feel it is right.

I remember how the Taurus used to be the best selling car, the Ranger the best selling small truck etc. etc. Times change and peoples buying habits change. Maybe in the truck world, small turbo gas engines will reign supreme. Maybe diesels will catch on in a big way. What I doubt stays is the big block V8's. They will have a place, but at a much reduced rate.

What I would like to see Ford do with their half tons is keep pushing their small gas turbos, but have a 4-5 liter diesel as the top engine choice. Beef up the half ton slightly with a little better payload, breaks and a tow rating at say 14k for the diesel. Kind of split the difference between the current 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Something suitable for smaller goosenecks and 5th wheels. I'd buy one.

So you want an F200. Honestly, that's what I would like to have myself.

If Ford were dumping F150s into low-margin fleet sales while simultaneously decontenting and failing to update the truck, I could see a parallel with the Taurus and Ranger, but that's not what they're doing. The situation is very much different in other ways, too--f'rinstance, the union contracts are structured differently, so Ford can adjust production to meet demand.

As for what we'd like, I'd like to see a manual transmission become available in the F150 again, but I'm not holding my breath on that one...

I want one, therefore everybody wants one and Ford is stupid not to build it.

Got it. Move along.

Musing about new possibilities is how ideas happen.

This is a market niche that may or may not be worth pursuing. Contemplating its possibilities is far healthier than "stupidly" dismissing it, as ruminating and observing at this level harms...nothing.

Move along, indeed.

It's pretty clear that Ford has investigated half-ton diesels on more than one occasion.

I guess people here that have no experience making billion dollar decisions in the auto industry must know better than the company that has made the best selling truck over the past 38 years.

Which is totally a logical conclusion, you know.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

I get that Ford is the leader in this market, and some fanbois just want to dismiss every single one of the others as either/both irrelevant/inferior/desperately jealous of Ford for having a unique engineering/production source of light truck turbo gasoline engines, but it is certainly not going to be a shrinking proportion of light pickup sales over the next 5 years.

Guilty as charged but let's turn that around to:

Ford fans on a Ford website supporting Fords decision to to go with efficient gasoline solutions and actually trying to understand

why there are a lot more sales at the bottom of the gasoline truck market with Ecoboost 2.7 than would ever be possible with a diesel.

Not dismissing diesel but how about some of us wait and see see what Ford offers with Ecoboost first before lamenting the lack of a diesel.

Edited by jpd80

My olny comment since I'm hard core pro-diesel is, (and I've said it before) if ford builds a 4 door one ton (or half ton now that the rating are so high) with a 8ft box and a small diesel, I'll buy it. My N/A 7.3 is only 175hp and 320lb's of torque and it's plenty. A smaller diesel with better milage but has 2-300hp and 3-400lb's would be awesome.

Been gone for a while so I should mention the wife just picked up a loaded 2013 edge in November. Love it so far..well that's not true..it's done everything it's supposed to, but it's new so I don't have a "relationship" with it yet. Heck I just changed the oil for the first time last weekend! LOL Turn key and go and has all the bells and whistles..meh, it's the wifes so I don't even drive it, I guess I'm more of a "old vehicle with character" kind of guy.

I'd buy a new little diesel though...and run veggie oil through it! hehehe.

Since this thread is going in circles, I thought it appropriote to repost my comment from page 8 or 9 or whatever. If you guys are still rehashing the exact same argument in 10-12 pages from now, I'll stay current and repost it again...you know...to keep the endless cycle from stopping.

I'm sorry, did that sound a bit sarcastic? LOL