Lincoln Teases (Likely) MKX Concept to debut in China

Again with this. It's like a broken record for people. You don't have the data to conclude that people are buying these vehicles because they're RWD! Are there those who do buy them because they're RWD? Of course. Does a BMW handle the way it does merely it's RWD? No. Would the vast majority of buyers still buy it if it was FWD/AWD? Of course. And a large chunk of those buyers probably don't even know it's RWD! So why are they buying them? BECAUSE IT'S A BMW! You can't engineer or price that advantage away. Cadillac has tried...at a cost of BILLIONS. Is it a moderately successful brand? Sure, I suppose. Has it come close to supplanting BMW? Hell no...and it certainly hasn't made the progress you'd expect after spending $8 BILLION. You realize Lincoln is even further behind than Cadillac was when it started that investment.

The issue here is a misplaced expectation of what Lincoln should be/what it should do. It doesn't NEED to "beat" BMW, M-B, Audi, anyone. It simply needs grow on Ford's intended pace and be profitable. Like Kevin O'Leary says "I only care about the MONEY". THE CORPORATION'S ONLY REASON TO EXIST IS TO MAKE A PROFIT. It does not need to cater to the whims of people who will never buy their product (but say "if you only you'd build X, THEN I'd buy") or to try to beat entrenched competitors with dominant market share.

Where's this magical quote saying it will sale only if it's RWD?. I'll be more focus and say a RWD Xover is needed in addition to the MKX for the "got to have it" crowd (and if you dont think Lincoln is not in that market see Navigator for details) and it can be done on a Mustang platform without much cost. Now I did say I wont buy a FWD lux Xover but look at a RWD one.

I take back what I said about the MKX in another thread. It looks gorgeous in that shot.

The color is a terrible choice though (Gold has lots of good meanings in China, so understandable) but it would look far better in a darker color to show off its cruves

• Like 1

The immense success of the RWD gotta-have-it Lexus RX. Oh...uhhh...wait.

He must have meant the hugely popular RWD gotta-have-it Cadillac SRX. Ummm....errr?

He was clearly referring to the huge worldwide success of RWD Audi Q5... :headspin:

The immense success of the RWD gotta-have-it Lexus RX. Oh...uhhh...wait.

He must have meant the hugely popular RWD gotta-have-it Cadillac SRX. Ummm....errr?

Lol at least those brands offer RWD thats not a truck, as for AUDI its always will play 3 string to MB and BMW, also please name a Lincoln on sale that can match an AUDI?. Edited by Fgts

Lol at least those brands offer RWD thats not a truck

Not really sure how that's relevant to whether they should offer a RWD CUV or not. Fact is the two best-selling luxury CUV's in the US are both FWD-based. And don't try to tell me that people are attracted to the Lexus RX because it's sold under the same brand that sells the "exciting" RWD IS, GS, and LS.

Edited by NickF1011

Lol at least those brands offer RWD thats not a truck, as for AUDI its always will play 3 string to MB and BMW, also please name a Lincoln on sale that can match an AUDI?.

Okay. So if I understand your reasoning, Ford should offer a RWD crossover because Audi will always play 3rd string to MB and BMW.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 1

Okay. So if I understand your reasoning, Ford should offer a RWD crossover because Audi will always play 3rd string to MB and BMW.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Audi 3rd string because many lux buyers know Audis are high-strung VWs on a mission.

Just sayin is why not offer a cheap-to-dovelop luxury/RWD sport crossover and supplement the MKX and Lincoln?. Offering one isnt out-Germany anyone but have one at the party.

Since all those FWD Ford crossovers which the Lincolns will be based upon (with changes) are failing so miserably....

A RWD sport crossover should be (and is) way down on the list of priorities, it it's on it at all.

Audi 3rd string because many lux buyers know Audis are high-strung VWs on a mission.

I could cite that statistic that what was it? 80% of 1-series drivers thought it was FWD, or something like that.

Some do know which wheels drive the thing, but I think the majority of people have no idea whether the vehicle is FWD, RWD, or whether it's based on another product (Audis on VWs)......the only place where it's always pointed out is Ford/Lincoln.....and granted, the last generation of vehicles, that was warranted, but with this new set of vehicles coming through, I don't think it's right to immediately dismiss them as tarted up Fords.

Right... I see you live in an alternate reality... that explains all your nonsense posts :superhero:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140311/RETAIL01/140319966/audi-passes-bmw-in-global-sales-to-take-lead-in-luxury-race

Selling cheap VWs with rings dont make luxury, what you posted is subjective.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-13/bmw-posts-surprise-fourth-quarter-profit-gain-on-3-series.html

The Germans are ego-measuring among themself that dont mean the domestic makes should be left out vulnerable to anything Euro.

Edited by Fgts

Because there really isn't anything "cheap-to-develop" about it.

That's for sure. When the next new-chassis Navigator/Expedition appears, the Lincoln PD folks might offer high-performance options eventually, especially as all sorts of security and law types will want high-performance Expeditions, IMHO. :)

Why do people not understand the costs of developing a new platform or opening a new plant?

If you sell 25K vehicles per year at a profit of $3k per vehicle that's only $75M profit per year or $450M profit over 6 years. If the new platform and/or new plant cost $1B to develop then you just lost $550M. You were better off to never build it at all. Why is that so hard to understand?

Just sayin is why not offer a cheap-to-dovelop luxury/RWD sport crossover and supplement the MKX and Lincoln?. Offering one isnt out-Germany anyone but have one at the party.

:stop: Please substantiate this "cheap-to-develop" characteristic. Then, please substantiate how a cheap platform would do ANYTHING for Lincoln's reputation.

• Like 1