New Mustang (allegedly) weighs 200-300 lbs more then previous generation

No need to just "ask Phil" just ask most Ford Dealerships whether they plan to order for Inventory & Stock more 2015 Mustang "Convertibles" with the V6 and a few add on options that will bring a MSRP of between 31K & 34K or have most of their Mustang Convertible Inventory with MSRP`s hovering between 41K and 45K. Unless the younger demographics have leaned more to the wealthier 1%ers, will Ford Credit now start to stretch financing from 7 years and 84 month Loans to a 10 year "Mortgage"? I personally would`nt feel comfortable being (upside down) for two thirds the length of (my) Car Loan. True, the 2015 Mustang Convertible will be the bread and butter of the Rental Car Industry and featured in Red Carpet Leases but don`t discount the fact that even Mustang Addict`s have a limit to their ability to buy or lease a 45K Vehicle, just saying.......

its not just the Mustang Phil...check the MSRPs of basically anything German......

No need to just "ask Phil" just ask most Ford Dealerships whether they plan to order for Inventory & Stock more 2015 Mustang "Convertibles" with the V6 and a few add on options that will bring a MSRP of between 31K & 34K or have most of their Mustang Convertible Inventory with MSRP`s hovering between 41K and 45K. Unless the younger demographics have leaned more to the wealthier 1%ers, will Ford Credit now start to stretch financing from 7 years and 84 month Loans to a 10 year "Mortgage"? I personally would`nt feel comfortable being (upside down) for two thirds the length of (my) Car Loan. True, the 2015 Mustang Convertible will be the bread and butter of the Rental Car Industry and featured in Red Carpet Leases but don`t discount the fact that even Mustang Addict`s have a limit to their ability to buy or lease a 45K Vehicle, just saying.......

this may sound weird, but we , and keep in mind Im talking Southern California, dont stock a lot of convertibles.....we may do initially when the new 15 comes out ( although Convertibles are late availability ) but they tend to sit....$ maybe?.

What you remember was a lot of speculation on the internet from "sources" but nothing at all from Ford, officially or unofficially as far as I can tell.

Ford did say that their goal was to remove between 250 - 700 pounds per vehicle. This would be in the 2011 to 2018 time-frame. See this from the Derrick Kuzak interview from 2011:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2011/04/ford-planning-to-slash-vehicle-weight-up-to-700-lbs/

its not just the Mustang Phil...check the MSRPs of basically anything German......

Exactly, was checking out the MB CLK today and an AMG version starts as the same price as a Fully loaded Taurus SHO. For a car roughly the size of a Focus!!!!

Ford has understandably been very coy about the weight of the 15 Mustang. Weight reduction was one of the features I've looked forward to the most.

So I've tried to pay close attention to all the pre-release interviews from Ford officials (the guys who'll really know).

I only came across two recent quotes that addressed Mustang weight. One by Prakash Patel (Mustang Program Manager) and Raj Nair (VP Global Product Development). Both were very similar and did not offer wording indicating either a overall weight gain or reduction. However they both used wording that strongly hinted at weight savings and certainly lead me to assume the new Mustang will overall weigh less. And both quotes indicated the Mustang team was on track to achieve target weight.

"Wheelbase is same as today's car. The 5.0L engine has been significantly updated including 420+ HP and 390+ ft-lbs of torque. As far as the weight is concerned, we are still in midst of confirming our final weight but the team has set very aggressive targets and we are on track to achieve those"

I'll be disappointed if there is not some weight reduction given the quotes from both of those Ford officials.

See reply #10

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f388/t345616/

How much you wanna bet the folks in Dearborn are getting a big laugh out of this?

I dont know about that. Ford never ceases to disappoint me with weight gains. Every Mustang in the last couple of decades has gained weight. They are going to want to talke about the new 5 liter being X horsepower and the 2.3 getting X mpgs on the hwy. I am so used to their marketing spin that I have grown tired of it. Mustang buyers are a different breed. They know every detail about the cars and weight is right up there at the top of the list.

I dont know about that. Ford never ceases to disappoint me with weight gains. Every Mustang in the last couple of decades has gained weight. They are going to want to talke about the new 5 liter being X horsepower and the 2.3 getting X mpgs on the hwy. I am so used to their marketing spin that I have grown tired of it. Mustang buyers are a different breed. They know every detail about the cars and weight is right up there at the top of the list.

Name a vehicle that hasn't gained weight with every new model. Safety regulations change, resulting in added weight. Customers want more goodies, resulting in added weight. Customers want more HP, resulting in added weight. Customers want quieter vehicles, resulting in added weight.

The new 2014 Mazda 6 weighs less than the 2013 model. Ditto with the new CX-5.

I was going to add to my post 'up until the last 2 years when reduction has become a top priority'. Guess I should have, but thought it was unnecessary since he mentioned 'the last couple of decades'.

Correct me if I`m wrong but the (new) 3.5L going into the 2015 Ford 150 Truck thats replacing the 3.7 Duratec is also a "V6" naturally aspired (without) Ecoboost or Twin Scroll Turbochargers?

He was obviously referring to the EcoBoost 3.5L vs the 5.0L.

No, but it effectively replaces CX-7, I should know, my dealer has been pestering me to switch.

More or less a new fangled Tribute....

The CX7 was always sort of a tweener. CX5 is roughly the same weight as the Tribute which it more closely replaces.

The thing you're missing here: you can't get a V6 convertible with "a few add on options". From what it shows in the order guide, there's one appearance package available for the V6 and that's it. You want anything else besides that? You need to pick a different engine.

Unless you want to return to the days of limp noodle suspension and body flex like a car made of cardboard (ie what Fox bodies weighed) then they're going to weigh more.

You have 3 options:

Get a lighter car.

Get a stiffer/safer car.

Get a cheaper car.

You can only choose 2 at a time though.

Ford may still surprise us yet. There's a reason they haven't announced the weight yet (especially after all this drama with Steeda and R&T). Either because it's a gain and they are waiting for the right time or because they have a surprise.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Ford may still surprise us yet. There's a reason they haven't announced the weight yet (especially after all this drama with Steeda and R&T). Either because it's a gain and they are waiting for the right time or because they have a surprise.

SANDBAGGING!

That should but to rest the imminent demise of Ford`s Duratec 3.7 ltr V6. Despite the fact that only the Ecoboost 2.3 ltr 4 cyl and 5.0 ltr V8 will be exported outside of North America, the vast majority of 2015 Mustang buyers, (exception those with especially deep pockets) will opt for the 2015 Mustang in V6 Trim. Almost the same performance and fuel economy as the Turbocharged Ecoboost 4 cyl, a lot less expensive to purchase and a lot less to go wrong in the future with "natural aspiration", just saying.....

Back to the MUSTANG: The only problem with that theory is that the V6 is only being offered in Base Trim, No Premium. So, if you want leather seats, fancy electronics, the performance pack and others you have to get a GT or EB. The V6 will be mostly rental fleet and bottom dollar buyers. The '15 Premium EB is not that much more than the current V6 Premium and the "rated" mileage should be higher. I think Ford is hoping the EB will be the top retail seller, if not in 2014/15 then real soon, and then the V6 will disappear. By then the retail companies will see that the EB is just as reliable for their businesses to operate.

Edited by traxiii
  • Like 1