2015 F150 weighs in at under 5,000 lbs

More details from PUTC:

Ford had two F-150 Lariat models on display, one a 2014 crew cab with the 5.0-liter V-8, and the other a comparably equipped 2015 model with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6. Both trucks were rolled onto electric scales, with the 2014 model weighing in at 5,674 pounds, while the new 2015 model totaled just 4,942 pounds, a difference of 732 pounds. Ford spokesman Mike Levine said that even if the 2015 had been equipped with a comparable 5.0-liter V-8, the difference would have been just 25 pounds less.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/07/2015-f-150-ford-reveals-two-powertrains.html

So there we have it, that is a 700 lbs weight savings even with 5.0 V8 in both versions.

Edit,

By comparison,

T6 Ranger XLT Crew cab 4x4 3.2 Diesel = 4749 lbs (2159 Kg)

'15 F150 Lariat Crew cab 4x4 2.7 V6 EB = 4,942 lbs (2246 Kg)

207 lbs difference......

Edited by jpd80

I really believe that Ford has an opportunity to come up with a F150 based truck that can come in at 4000 lbs for a 4X2 and 4500 lbs for a 4X4....a light duty version that can appeal to the suburban buyer that won't ever haul or tow anything huge....but wants the versatility of a truck that is not a monstrous beast....you already know what I would call it....time for F100 to return to the stage....such at truck could have the 2.3L Ecoboost 4 cylinder for economy..

I really believe that Ford has an opportunity to come up with a F150 based truck that can come in at 4000 lbs for a 4X2 and 4500 lbs for a 4X4....a light duty version that can appeal to the suburban buyer that won't ever haul or tow anything huge....but wants the versatility of a truck that is not a monstrous beast....you already know what I would call it....time for F100 to return to the stage....such at truck could have the 2.3L Ecoboost 4 cylinder for economy..

And in true throwback form they could call it a F100 Ranger!

76ford71087-1.jpg

• Like 3

But is there enough differentiation to make it worthwhile? Nobody bought the SportTrac when it was around, would they now?

And there's no guarantee that shrinking the platform will dramatically cut weight. (thinking of the last BMW 1 Series built off the 3 Series platform)

Exactly! You would have to shrink EVERYTHING to make it worthwhile, and when you do that, you are investing a fortune in that thing for a small number of incremental sales. I think building a small truck off of the D3 platform would be more productive and show better returns.

The F-100 is a really great idea, until you have to meet side impact regulations with a truck that is cheaper than the F-150. By the time that's done, it's almost as wide and heavy. If you make it significantly narrower, big-butt drivers in super-size America won't fit. So, IMHO, for what it costs to farkle with the F-150 to try to 'shrink' it, the ROI just isn't there.

IMHO, there is a market for a smaller pickup, but a FWD one, based off the TC platform to keep the costs down. Then again, I could be completely mistaken. :)

Read the foxnews comments for a laugh. Got one:

"The other problem is the F-150 does not come with an 8 foot bed except reg cab."

Seems like most websites that have a comments section (esp news related ones) must have a requirement that your writing IQ level has to be below room temperature.

I was fascinated by the comments on a CNN article on the MH17 yesterday.

There were a number of comments by a particular troll that were tagged with an odd SGML tag called <bot>, and there were settings inside it that indicated that it was a collection of stock responses that could be inserted (e.g. 'slogan113'), etc. that were posted by a piece of software with minimal human interaction.

Did some research on it, couldn't find any info on this software.

Read the foxnews comments for a laugh. Got one:

"The other problem is the F-150 does not come with an 8 foot bed except reg cab."

That comment section is a Ford slam fest! Then again, I don't know a single Fox News devotee who drives an American car or truck

Nice job Ford on the F-150 and pushing forward. I remember when aluminum bicycle frames first came out and the abundant criticism! Now - you would be hard pressed to even find a metal frame under $2500 that is NOT aluminum.

Edited by Kev-Mo

The weight differential will vary by model, but will be at least 625 pounds across the board.

Is this still true of Single cab where the lightest version is currently just under 4,700 lbs?

I have a feeling that Ford may have given Fox news details for Supercab and Crew cab only,

if a single cab 4x2 V6 comes in at just over 4,000 lb I'd be very surprised... and delighted at the same time.

Is this still true of Single cab where the lightest version is currently just under 4,700 lbs?

I have a feeling that Ford may have given Fox news details for Supercab and Crew cab only,

if a single cab 4x2 V6 comes in at just over 4,000 lb I'd be very surprised... and delighted at the same time.

I would say 4k lbs is probably pretty close for a 4x2 V6 based on the numbers. That'd be a blast with a 3.5 EB or 5.0 in it!

• Like 1

.....You would have to shrink EVERYTHING to make it worthwhile, and when you do that, you are investing a fortune in that thing for a small number of incremental sales. I think building a small truck off of the D3 platform would be more productive and show better returns.

The F-100 is a really great idea, until you have to meet side impact regulations with a truck that is cheaper than the F-150. By the time that's done, it's almost as wide and heavy. If you make it significantly narrower, big-butt drivers in super-size America won't fit. So, IMHO, for what it costs to farkle with the F-150 to try to 'shrink' it, the ROI just isn't there.

IMHO, there is a market for a smaller pickup, but a FWD one, based off the TC platform to keep the costs down. Then again, I could be completely mistaken. :)

You don't "shrink it down"....you make it lighter duty....lighter duty components in the suspension, composite box sides, lighter duty axles, work on making the frame lighter by going to an open "C"-channel aft of the cab. It would really drive toward a goal of 4000 Lbs for a 4X2....

....but wants the versatility of a truck that is not a monstrous beast....

You don't "shrink it down"....you make it lighter duty....lighter duty components in the suspension, composite box sides, lighter duty axles, work on making the frame lighter by going to an open "C"-channel aft of the cab. It would really drive toward a goal of 4000 Lbs for a 4X2....

If you don't 'shrink it down', wouldn't it still be a 'monstrous beast?' With the '15 F150, I don't think the issue is weight so much as it is size. Given the weight decreases, I'm betting a RCSB 4x2 is going to be down around 4k lbs.

Plus, in my mind, 'making it lighter duty' = 'shrinking it down'. At least, as far as components go. :) And that is still going to be rather costly. I mean, you have to re-engineer and re-test EVERYTHING! At that point, it is a whole new truck and you may as well just make it dimensionally smaller as well.