5 car brands people don't buy twice

Fiat-Chrysler's decision to spin off Dodge pickups under the new "Ram" nameplate isn't building Dodge's brand loyalty. When loyal Dodge pickup customers buy another one, they have bought a Ram, not a Dodge.

Agreed.....FCX's fragmenting of Chrysler/Dodge vehicles hasn't helped much here.

As far as the other brands, they've been pretty stagnat when it comes to new product.

my family did go through a Mitsu phase with two galants, they were actually very good cars and their 4cyl engine had plenty of pick up, but man I dont know what has happen to the company; it needs a rebirth they need to bring back the Eclipse and Galant, maybe the eclipse might be asking for much but there was a time everyone had one.

Mitsu is in trouble in this country. They make nothing that is all that appealing now. Their halo (EVO) is gone and they have 3(?) models now?

I've seen a whole lot of DSP6's in Focus and Fiesta selling other brands with an "I'll never be back!" from most customers.

Mitsu is in trouble in this country. They make nothing that is all that appealing now. Their halo (EVO) is gone and they have 3(?) models now?

I've seen a whole lot of DSP6's in Focus and Fiesta selling other brands with an "I'll never be back!" from most customers.

I can see that. However, I found that with the correct repair most customers are happy with the dsp6. The latest update and clutch make a difference. However Ford is making technicians jump through hoops to get approval for replacement. They want you to clean old crap design clutches. When it's been found that the new clutch seems to solve most issues.
  • Like 1

I know. I did 6 three weeks ago, did 1 last week and have 2 on the schedule for this. One for this week is a new clutch that has under 1000 miles and shudder over 250 rpm that has been at a competing dealer 3 or 4 times. One other 'trans guy' in the shop got one of my cleaned ones in that had about 10k on it since the clean. Heavy shudder, still dry. I have a Fiesta on the back lot is still waiting on a throwout bearing assy. The latest software is lightyears ahead of the release software, but still can't fix the basic design issues. But hey, at least we are married to them forever now with the warranty extension.

• Like 1

IMO, Ford should have us verify an excessive shudder and replace the clutch and update. Instead of this patching via cleaning. They need a "one and done" repair. Ford prior approval is a joke. Basically we are dealing with a insurance company who finds an excuse not to pay. They preach customer service out of one side of their mouth, and one other side tell us we are "above the average" for repairs and look for a way to deny a claim. As a dealer we guilty of warranty fraud before we get started.

Daughter had an '02 Eclipse for a while and yes it had quite a few miles on it but the thing was a mess. A lot of issues and it was clear more would be on the way. The trans went and we dumped it. No more Mitsu for me. They make it easy for you honestly. The stuff they're selling is just weak compared to all others in the respective segments.

5 brands I won't buy period.

#1. Toyota (including Lexus, Scion)

#2. Mercedes-Benz (too high maintenance)

#3. Nissan (any of them)

#4.Subaru (other reasons)

#5.BMW (also too high maintenance)

I could list more, but a lot of them would end up being in a tie for #1.

Toyota and Subaru are excellent cars. In the case of Toyota-if you work (or have worked for Ford I understand your reasons). With Subaru (I currently own a Legacy) they will plow through a moderate amount snow like it's not there. In Ford's infinite wisdom (at least at the time I was looking) you could only get AWD in their "top of the line" Fusion as far as a sedan was concerned.

Other than AWD, I've never seen the appeal to purchasing it. I think they are just rather bland, boringly styled, lower tech, option. I can just imagine what the repair costs are on them.

Similar with Mitsu, friend has an Outlander and months ago I had to hear "Well we only buy Japanese vehicles" then 2 months ago I heard "Well the power window broke and the dealer wanted $490 to replace the part"...I'm like "We are having SUSHI to honor your purchase, and practice using some Vaseline for when they stick that one into you".... She decided to just let it be instead...other priorities. Now her 2 year old Kia Sorrento had the exterior door handle break, she took it thinking warranty repair would take care of it, because she bragged SSSSOOOOO much about her 10 year warranty and turns out they told her that its "wear and tear" and wont cover the $400 repair on that either...So that night, "TONIGHT we are honoring your purchasing and eating Korean, and your paying the bill so you get used to getting screwed over again"... :happy feet:

A little clarification here- Subaru's design has gone "mainstream" with the all new redesign of the 2015 Legacy. See here-

https://www.google.com/search?q=subaru+2015+legacy&client=firefox-a&hs=eZk&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6sL7U9LLPIWzogSalYLYAg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=567

In addition - even though there have been "isolated cases" of oil burning issues, it doesn't appear to be widespread.

In spite of isolated "oil burning" and past designs that were not for everybody their sales growth has been nothing short of remarkable. See here-

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140124/RETAIL06/301259989/with-subaru-sales-soaring-dealers-plan-for-more-growth

Quite frankly-they do not need a lot of repairs. And yes-the point of Subarus is affordable all wheel drive vehicles.

A little clarification here- Subaru's design has gone "mainstream" with the all new redesign of the 2015 Legacy. See here-

https://www.google.com/search?q=subaru+2015+legacy&client=firefox-a&hs=eZk&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6sL7U9LLPIWzogSalYLYAg&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=567

In addition - even though there have been "isolated cases" of oil burning issues, it doesn't appear to be widespread.

In spite of isolated "oil burning" and past designs that were not for everybody their sales growth has been nothing short of remarkable. See here-

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140124/RETAIL06/301259989/with-subaru-sales-soaring-dealers-plan-for-more-growth

Quite frankly-they do not need a lot of repairs. And yes-the point of Subarus is affordable all wheel drive vehicles.

I used to like Subarus much better before the Toyota-fied styling. It's evident that there's some cross-pollination involved.

Part of me liking Subaru has to do with the fact that the first vehicles I remember my parents having were Subarus. '84 and '85, before they became all-AWD all the time.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

It looks more impressive then it actually is...some Ford name plates sell more then entire lineup of Subaru's in the USA. If you only sell 450K cars a year an extra 20K looks impressive.

• 3 weeks later...