2015 F150 didn't win TOTY

Oh this is hilarious !! So they push for the Colorado, I guess the F150 didn't have anything "world shattering" to introduce to the market, than a Colorado, a vehicle that gets just about the same fuel mileage being smaller, less capable, and more plasticky. Obviously Ford didn't want to pay for the award and I'm good with that...after the past reviews I wouldn't either. Now in the real world, I'm sure the F150 will be winning North America Car Award, and a few others.

• Like 1

I think MT is just trying to rattle some cages. They said RAM beat the F150 recently and now this. Antaus pointed out the obvious ( near same mileage while being smaller, less capable, and more plasticky, etc.). I think they feel Ford is getting too much "good" press lately and want to be different. Ford has some of the most exciting vehicle line-up right now ( ST family, GT350, Raptor) and they are just trying to cool the flames.

"In what can only be looked upon as a stunning upset, the Chevrolet Colorado is Motor Trend's Truck of the Year, beating out the all-new Ford F-150. Watch for massive spending by Chevrolet to tout the honor. Oh, and that sound you hear? It's the ka-ching of the Motor Trend coffers as Chevrolet spends a bundle and M/T gets a cut for mentioning the award and showing the trophy. What, you were thinking that this whole business has everything to do with actual integrity of the award? Silly you. It's about the money, honey, pure and simple." - Peter DeLorenzo, Dec 2, 2014

• Like 7

I certainly don't agree with all the conspiracy theories here and am not that surprised. The Chevy is a new model and a very big gamble by GM. This type of award means very little except bragging rights to the manufacturer. I've never met anyone who bought a car because of this award....now Consumer Reports top ratings influences people's purchases and benefits the OEM.

now Consumer Reports top ratings influences people's purchases and benefits the OEM.

Debatable. People are starting to see through their ratings too. The mass population looks and see ford at the bottom of the list (only because of MFT being so clunky) yet the worst "rated" products (fusion and escape) are some of their best sellers.

Oh, darn, Ford lost the award for the last three years running, but the F150 sales are still up on an annual basis--even with half of the truck's production capacity offline for a major production change.

I'm sure the execs in the Glass House are wailing and gnashing their teeth all the way to the bank. Who needs to buy a freaking award to sell trucks when they're already selling themselves?

• Like 1

I don't see why this would surprise anyone. The Ram won a comparison due to having a diesel, that MT loves. They also went out of their way to discredit aluminum as an unknown. While the F150 is a great 1/2 ton truck, all 1/2 ton trucks are good, and the Ford does not offer a MT loving diesel. The GM twins are a great product is a subpar segment that has just been treading water.

Thus, they are much more significant to their segment.

I certainly don't agree with all the conspiracy theories here and am not that surprised.

No conspiracy theories here...

It's very well known around the industry that COTY/TOTY entries are encouraged to submit a marketing plan along with their vehicle to show how the award would be used if won.

• Like 1

This was in the works since last year when MT changed the rules and gave TOTY to the Ram Ecodiesel eventhough it was not on sale the first week of January; thus robbing the 2014 Chevy Silverado and setting up for Chevy to make a comeback win with the Colorado against the new F-150.

I certainly don't agree with all the conspiracy theories here and am not that surprised.

If you listen to people who used to work with MT on this award - like Pete DeLorenzo - and you look at the results (especially this year with the Colorado and CR-V winning) - it's a pretty easy conclusion.

• Like 1

SO SURPRIZING, so now after 3 or four pages of erroneous Editers comments, you will be greeted by a 5-10 page advertisement of GM peoducts.....disguised somewhat as an article.....then after 5 or so articles theres WEATHERGUARD......

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 1

Look the problem is there was a lot of MPG hype...warranted or not,The media was expecting something different. Completely changing the truck from a manufacturing standpoint, and the risk Ford is taking,and the balls it takes to do what they are doing should win the award hands down...HOWEVER it's the hype that didn't occur that Ford is being unfairly punished for.

The media and the talking heads are, and will continue to be, very critical of this product.

Look the problem is there was a lot of MPG hype

Hogwash. That award is sold to the highest bidder--and that bidder has been Ford on any number of occasions.

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35918&id=35808

the Chevy Colorado midsize trounced all rivals to be best in class by being a right-sized truck with "sexy" looks and "a big fuel efficiency story," Loh says.

That's from the Motor Trend press release announcing the win.

I'll tell you what the "big fuel efficiency story" is:

It's a crappy 4 cylinder manual transmission midsize truck that can't out-peform a full size truck with a 9,000lb tow rating and 375lb-ft of torque.

Edited by RichardJensen