The Official Crazy Go-Nuts Bronco Speculation Topic

Bench seats wouldn't cut it with safety regulations/airbags

I think it has more to do with the general preference for buckets. The F-150 has three-passenger seating in the form of a split bench (two buckets with a fixed seat to bridge the gap), which is close enough to a bench for most folks.

fuzzy, I think its to do with the fact if the bench is one piece, if the driver is a Midget, everyone else is 6 inches from the dash................theres only so much a telescoping wheel and adjustable pedals can compensate for....Im speculating though

Eh? Did I miss something or were you talking to someone else?

By 'wherewithal', I mean the cash to invest in the program. I do not believe that Nissan/Renault are in position to invest in a 'white-space' product for them.

And MB is just like LR: I do not believe they have the ability, and they certainly do not have the desire to build to an entry-level price point.

Mitsu certainly doesn't have the wherewithal to launch a brand new platform/vehicle in the US.

Nissan's sales in the US were quite strong, at 1.3 million in the US last year and 8.4% market share, no reason they wouldn't want to build on that. Will wait and see on Mitsubishi, they keep promising more is on the way but haven't seen it yet.

Mercedes sells brand new smarts for $12K at the low end in the USA. They also sell things like CLA cars and GLA SUVs to compete directly in the meat of the market in the low $30K range. As 'luxury' brands the Germans dominate in sales because they have a very wide range of products.

Nissan's sales in the US were quite strong, at 1.3 million in the US last year and 8.4% market share, no reason they wouldn't want to build on that. Will wait and see on Mitsubishi, they keep promising more is on the way but haven't seen it yet.

Mercedes sells brand new smarts for $12K at the low end in the USA. They also sell things like CLA cars and GLA SUVs to compete directly in the meat of the market in the low $30K range. As 'luxury' brands the Germans dominate in sales because they have a very wide range of products.

It's not a question of "want" it's a question of money.

And, again, a $30k subcompact sedan is *not* an entry-level product. An entry level product is a < $20k subcompact.

Timely mention of Nissan as media reports says Nissan has notified its suppliers that 2015 is the final year for Xterra. So no, they are unable to figure out how to make the business case work for a new one.

Edited by bzcat

Had another thought pop into my head...could it be possible that Ford could be working on a modified ROW Ranger (or a unibody) platform that could replace the Toller and a truly compact pickup truck? Have to figure that a Wrangler/Compact pickup would be good for at least 150K units in North America at least.

• Like 2

How about the Nissan Patrol? I have a buddy in UAE and he said he heard something about a new 3 door Patrol coming sometime. Drop the Xterra and bring over the real deal for those that want a hard core off roader.

I believe the current one is just a rebadged Infiniti QX80...

2 door SUV has no market viability in the US. Too small of a market, too much drag on CAFE due to SWB, and too much liability (rollover risks, difficulty with side impact crash test etc). It's miracle that Jeep Wrangler is still available with 2 doors. If Wrangler was a clean-sheet idea and not a heritage product, I feel 100% confident in saying that it would be 4 doors only and no 2 door version.

Was looking at used Broncos the other day. clean 180,000 mile 20 year olds are selling for $10K+. I'd say there's some sort of market for a new one. A few collectors couldn't drive the market to that level. I dare say there's a business case to be made as long as it can share an assembly line and parts with a pickup (be it F150, or a new F100 or Ranger).

Think about it. If it shares 90% of its parts with an F150 (like the last generation), all it can do is add volume to the F150 business. From a CAFE standpoint it would be the same as selling more F150s.

Was looking at used Broncos the other day. clean 180,000 mile 20 year olds are selling for $10K+. I'd say there's some sort of market for a new one. A few collectors couldn't drive the market to that level. I dare say there's a business case to be made as long as it can share an assembly line and parts with a pickup (be it F150, or a new F100 or Ranger).

Think about it. If it shares 90% of its parts with an F150 (like the last generation), all it can do is add volume to the F150 business. From a CAFE standpoint it would be the same as selling more F150s.

Sold for $10k or $10k asking price? There is a big difference, and my research doesn't show them bringing $10k with that many miles.

And you cannot possibly equate a $10k used vehicle sale with a $30k new vehicle sale. They just are not comparable at all.

No, from a CAFE standpoint, a Bronco based on shortened F-150 platform is a lot worse than F-150 due to the footprint multiplier rule. That's why 2 door SUVs doesn't exist anymore. And regular cab pickup trucks are going extinct.

CAFE is a made up number using EPA MPG of eact model x multiplier and averaged across the fleet (based on sales volume). The multiple is determined based on "footprint" of the truck. The longer/wider the truck, the bigger bonus it gets. However, if a truck is significantly shorter/narrower than the average truck, the multiplier is effectively negative. So a 2 door Bronco is basically CAFE poison pill... it will lower Ford's CAFE relative to just the F-150.

Edited by bzcat