Jalopnik Posted the Continental Concept

Really, the car has a passing resemblance to the bently and the A8 but that is exactly what Lincoln wants,

to remind luxury buyers of those cars when considering a Continental....

How does this play for the rest of the Lincoln range, does anothe design language now filter through

and we see a MKZ redone as more AudiA6?, does that leave room for a LWB Focus A4 impersonation below?

And what of Land rover when they lay eyes on the new Alloy body Navigator?

I think Ford is on the right track with Lincoln and the more "Hey, WTF are you doing..." that comes back the better.

because Lincoln is become everything its luxury competitors never envisioned, a real threat...

So how do you capture that Lincoln magic that buyers most certainly want but the essence that eluded Ford for so long?

Latch onto something like Continental and think about every other product that Lincoln wants to offer,
Ford needs to keep vetting and rejecting lincoln proposals until they are the better vehicles the company wants to see,
no good spending money on differentiation that doesn't go far enough or that doesn't really attract buyers, it's just a waste.

Edited by jpd80

I cannot wait to see MKT morph into Aviator with styling ques from Continental.....

That would be a massive turnaround in fortune and lay to rest the last vestige of Peter Horbury's styling.

Not meaning to make that Continental styling look derivative but a lot of the elements should transfer.

much better to othe vehicles. Maybe this has been the big hold up with going forward - the missing essence?

Bentley can go suck it.

He may as well have said,"How dare you copy our $200K car, the one with the with the name we lease from you..."

That would be a massive turnaround in fortune and lay to rest the last vestige of Peter Horbury's styling.

Not meaning to make that Continental styling look derivative but a lot of the elements should transfer.

much better to othe vehicles. Maybe this has been the big hold up with going forward - the missing essence?

.."

It is sad that the best, and only good, Horbury era design was the MKR which was never built.

• Like 1

Thinking this is on CD4; and the base will be FWD, with AWD and Performance AWD being options.

I can't get over how much this car is the child of the 70s Lincolns though. I just can't.

I'm thinking the blue interior has a lot to do with that. I think they dug up some old velour and wool carpet for sh:+s and giggles. The styling IP and center console in metal is pretty damn sharp! I sincerely hope that makes production.

Really because I don't recall a single Bentley looking like a Ford.

There is undeniable similarities to the Flying Spur and XJ. However, it is sufficiently different. But maybe Bentley needs to acknowledge how they and others were evolutionally influenced by the Telnack-era Fords.

Really because I don't recall a single Bentley looking like a Ford.

No, I never said they copied Ford. I said they and others were evolutionally influenced by the soft styling. I say that because that was a new paradigm in design that set the template for the future. It was as extraordinary as the '61 Continental in dragging design out of the previous decade.

Every car today was influenced by the Taurus. You could no more deny the influence of that car on vehicle design than you could argue that Elvis Presley had no influence on rock music.

But, at the same time, I don't think any Bentley has looked as much like a Ford as this Lincoln looks like a Bentley.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

It reminds me of that scene in a few good men,

SAM
I strenuously object? Is that how it
works? Objection. Overruled. No, no,
no, no, I strenuously object. Oh,
well if you strenuously object, let
me take a moment to reconsider.

JO
I got it on the record.

SAM