Ford Motor Company March 2015 sales down 3%

fuzzy, now compare it with the tomb that is the Edge......and guess which is heavier.....the Domestics also use a thicker gauge of steel....slam the door and you will be able to witness both issues Ive mentioned...that said, compare the Toyota Camry and its Lexus equivilent...without googling, my money is the lexus is heavier...its also quieter...

Over 29,000 Fusions sold last month with good ATP, I doubt a little extra weight matters with cheaper fuel these days

and to that, I notice that hybrid Fusion sales have significantly reduced for the moment..

Edited by jpd80

jpd80...it could be the fact that the plug ins lease a hell of a lot better than the Regular Hybrids, and supply of the Energi models is 3-5 a month max...and trust me on this one...weight has NOTHING to do with fusion sales...NOTHING. We don't get a lot of people through the front door that embark on Ice Fishing ventures.

• Like 1

There is always an excuse, for why the Fusion is so heavy.

DYK the 2011 Mondeo Weighed closer to 3200lbs too.

I don't think that curb weight should be a priority--I think if you set curb weight as a target, you invite compromises elsewhere.

I couldn't begin to tell you why an Accord weighs less than a Fusion; but at the same time, I think it should be clear that weights aren't related to ATPs or sales volume.

jpd80...it could be the fact that the plug ins lease a hell of a lot better than the Regular Hybrids, and supply of the Energi models is 3-5 a month max...and trust me on this one...weight has NOTHING to do with fusion sales...NOTHING. We don't get a lot of people through the front door that embark on Ice Fishing ventures.

My mistake, reading incorrect data,

Fusion energi is actually 837 sales up 38% year on year..

and Fusion hybrid is 2,534 up 4.9% year on year...

That's well over 10% of monthly sales now going to electrified versions.

Edited by jpd80

fuzzy, now compare it with the tomb that is the Edge......and guess which is heavier.....the Domestics also use a thicker gauge of steel....slam the door and you will be able to witness both issues Ive mentioned...that said, compare the Toyota Camry and its Lexus equivilent...without googling, my money is the lexus is heavier...its also quieter...

I have no grounds to compare the two, I've never even ridden in an Edge, let alone driven one

I have no grounds to compare the two, I've never even ridden in an Edge, let alone driven one

On my trip to the US in 2009, I go plenty of seat time in a V6 FWD Edge, loved it so much that when we went

back to Australia I bought a CX7 little brother, different platform but similar size, ride and quietness.

Edited by jpd80

We loved our old 2007 Edge but in the end my wife felt it was just two big as a daily driver for one person, we replaced it with a 2015 Escape titanium. We get the ability to tow 3500 lbs in smaller more nimble package and fuel efficient with the Escape. When you go from 4 people and dog to two people and a dog, the need for the commodious space of the an Edge is just overkill. Originally want a Flex when we bought Edge and after driving one on business I am glad we didn't wait, it drove well but would have been total waste of space and money for what we need in vehicle. Great Highway cruiser.

A 1.5 ecoboost Fusion will consistantly get 30-33 mpg on the highway as long as you stay between 58- 60 mph...with a steady foot.

My 2013 2.0 will do the same on somewhat flat ground @ 70 mph with cruise.

My wife took this over my shoulder right after the car was "broke in"

photobucket-59867-1370269667306.jpg

A 1.5 ecoboost Fusion will consistantly get 30-33 mpg on the highway as long as you stay between 58- 60 mph...with a steady foot.

That's poor for a small displacement engine (< 2.5 liter). My 2010 Fusion with the 2.5 liter MZR engine and 6-speed manual easily achieves 35 mpg at 65 mph cruise.

I don't think that curb weight should be a priority--I think if you set curb weight as a target, you invite compromises elsewhere.

I couldn't begin to tell you why an Accord weighs less than a Fusion; but at the same time, I think it should be clear that weights aren't related to ATPs or sales volume.

It's ironic how much effort Ford has put into marketing how awesome the lighter weight F-150 is.

Edited by Biker16

It's ironic how much effort Ford has put into marketing how awesome the lighter weight F-150 is.

Not in a vacuum. Straight off the F150 website (emphasis added):

• High-strength, military grade, aluminum-alloy body and high-strength steel frame for less weight yet greater strength
  • Best-in-class towing and payload*
  • Improved power-to-weight ratio across the entire 4-engine lineup for greater performance
  • Better fuel efficiency by up to 20 percent over the previous year's F-150

They're talking up 'less weight' because that means more towing/payload, better performance, and better fuel economy in that order.

In the realm of midsize cars, less weight gives you better performance--but that doesn't seem to be too high a priority for most customers.

Edited by RichardJensen

I'm in hill country,flat land should move that to mid 30's+. Use the ecoboost power,and it will use fuel. Customers should be educated on getting the most out of the ecoboost in any application.

I live in central VA. Compared to western NC, this is "flat ground" but it is rolling hills.

I am fully aware of the "use it and lose it" nature of the EB. Love that little motor.

That's poor for a small displacement engine (< 2.5 liter). My 2010 Fusion with the 2.5 liter MZR engine and 6-speed manual easily achieves 35 mpg at 65 mph cruise.

My V-10 F-250 with 4.30 gears gets 22 mpg with the cruise set at 80.

Mine is just as believable as yours.

Honda is dumping the Crosstour, Toyota is killing the Venza. Shows that makers can have 'too many SUV's'. Ford should dump the dead weight, too.

What the Flex and MKT? They are dead men walking....

Both those products where glorified station wagons that are getting killed off.

Honda is dumping the Crosstour, Toyota is killing the Venza. Shows that makers can have 'too many SUV's'. Ford should dump the dead weight, too.

Ok - so aside from Flex and MKT (which havent sold well since its introduction and are pretty certain they won't live past this generation), which Ford suv/crossover do you propose eliminating?

Edited by rmc523