2017 MKZ, cribbing from the Continental

My biggest "pet peeve" is the corporate grille.....why do the various manufacturers feel it is necessary to graft the same style of grille on their various cars...the winged grilles may look fine on one design, then look ridiculous on another. the "Continental grille" looks great on the Continental...leave it at that. Come up with an equally stunning design for MKZ / Zephyr that showcases the style of that car and not simply "ape" the Continental grille making end up being known as a "Baby Continental"....

Each car deserves its own style...and that includes the grille....

• Like 1

So they are ditching the current grill they were praising for so long, and slapped on the Navi (which personally I think looks horrible with), to the new Kia looking grille?

I figure the 2.7L V6 would have been the top offering, not the 2.3L but then again I'm doubting they got that info correctly.

Just me I feel it is taking a knife and blunting it at the tip. The current grill works for the MKZ and could use the updated one from the MKX. Replace the base EB 20 with the EB23 and dump the D37 for the EB27. IMHO.

My guess is that they go with the new 2.0 (maybe a few more horses found) and 2.7 eco. Both along with the new 8/9 speed transmission (not sure which it is). I think the 2.7 will be the limit in mkz. I can't imagine the mkz being able to handle just about 400 horsepower of the 3.0 TT. The next gen hybrid would be along for the ride too. Just my guesses here.

Not sure how it will be styled but I anticipate the top line engine will be in the mid to low 5's for 0-60. I think this will be more luxury oriented but it will have the muscle to flex.

Edited by jcartwright99

Maybe save money with just one good 2.3 Ecoboost and one good hybrid...maybe an energi variant this time round?

I'm betting the waterfall grille wasn't working in raising brand appeal, maybe changing the Aston Martin like Ford front

to a a bit of Bentley/Jaguar front works better all round?

Edited by jpd80

2.0 EB will be around for sure because Chinese market dictates something under 2 liters, but it will be updated to the new version. It's also a useful marketing tool for Lincoln in the US because they can offer the 2.0 EB and 2.0 Hybrid for the same price... making the 2.0H a more compelling value. Upgrading the "base" model to 2.3 EB, you lose the flanker effect of the 2.0EB because now the "base" engine (i.e. 2.3 EB) is far more powerful than the 2.0H.

I'm also expecting the Energi version to show up finally on the Lincoln side... it's a curious absence right now. Ford will have to come up with a new marketing name though... Energi is for the Ford brand.

Then it comes down to a choice between 2.3 EB and 2.7 EB as the replacement for 3.7 V6. In the Edge Sport, Ford replaced 3.7 V6 with 2.7 EB; but in the Mustang, 2.3 EB replaced 3.7 V6. For sure 2.3 EB is more than capable of matching 3.7 V6 performance in a lighter car like MKZ, so I can see it go both ways.

The 3.0 EB Lincoln exclusive engine is a wildcard... I assume initially, it will be available only in Continental. And depending on the tune, it may be "too much" engine (~350hp?) in a normal MKZ. If Lincoln ever wants to build a performance version of MKZ, the 3.0 EB is the obvious choice.

Edited by bzcat