Top Steelmaker Fights for Autos After Ford Defects to Aluminum

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-16/steelmaker-defending-automobile-market-from-encroaching-aluminum

All you insider smarties I'm just curious as to whether Ford is working with steel manufacturers also to lighten where steel is still required versus aluminum. Example ; frame... Like is the steel itself lighter or the dimensional engineering?

Materials are evolving rapidly today. Earlier this year I saw where an aluminum casting was replaced with an iron casting for weight savings. Yes, a cast iron part was stronger and lighter than a comparable aluminum part. This was in the heavy equipment market, but if it can be done in that market, there could be advanced cast iron chassis components that cut weight in the automotive future. Any automaker that does not keep up with the latest material developments will be behind the curve

Yeah, it's been such a problem on the 5 million F150 hoods that have been produced since '03.

Judge Allows Suit Over Aluminum Corrosion in Fords to Move Forward

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/15/judge-allows-suit-over-aluminum-corrosion-in-fords-to-move-forward/?_r=0

Yes it has been a problem. A very common problem. I've had to have the hood on my Mustang repainted because of it.

0bcb1ef0-8418-102d-8f1f-678b82e8086br.jp

Edited by BlackHorse

A common problem on the 2005-2009 Mustangs? Or a common problem on the 5 million F-150's produced since 2003?

it's a common problem on just about anything Ford has made with an aluminum hood. My Mustang is a 2014 and within a year it had corrosion issues. There are many post 2009 Mustangs that are still developing hood corrosion. The same is true for the F150. Taurus owners have experienced hood corrosion. Explorer owners have experienced hood corrosion issues. It's a common problem with pretty much any Ford aluminum hood. Now they have an entirely aluminum vehicle.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2013/body_paint/rust_bubbles_on_hood.shtml

http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14805

http://www.f150online.com/forums/other-body/370914-rust-aluminum-hood.html

http://ford.pissedconsumer.com/corrosion-front-edge-of-hood-ford-not-honoring-warranty-20130329396725.html

Edited by BlackHorse

I own a 2013 F150 and have not noticed any issues with the aluminum hood. I also owned a 2005 Lincoln LS for 8 years and did not notice any issue with the hood. Am I in the minority?

I don't know. It depends on a number of things. Most often the hood corrosion begins as a small blistering area on the underside of the hood at the seam. If you don't know to look for it you may well have overlooked it and never known it was there. Or you may have been lucky enough to have vehicles that were unaffected. Regardless, the hood corrosion issue is fairly common and well documented.

I know what to look for as I wipe the underside of the hood after every wash. In fact, prior to the LS, my wife had an 02 Alero which was developing corrosion bubbles on the inner door seams. Guess what, I kindly asked the GM dealer to perform a repair/repaint. I have yet to see an aluminum panel on an F150, LS or Mustang corrode. My immediate family currently owns 5 2004-2014 F150's and 2 2005-2007 Mustangs. We must be in the minority since this a common problem.

I've noticed that ford has moved to a new coating on the under side of the hood on newer vehicles. It's almost like a thing layer of spray in bed liner. I wonder if this is to help fight corrosion

Can't remember which vehicles but I believe the 2015 F150 and 2016 Explorer have this coating.

Only corrosion issues I've seen in multiples are expedition liftgates. I don't recall seeing any other corrosion issues that you are posting pictures of around here. Is it a ruat belt issue? Around here we don't have the common rust areas like old escape wheel wells or Taurus quarter panels like up north.

So we have a few pics of it happening. I can find the same pics of rust on body panels. Doesn't make it a common problem.

LOL Only common enough that there is a class action law suit over the matter. Look you guys and spin it whatever way makes you feel better. At the end of the day the reality is that Ford has a problem with alumimum hood corrosion and nothing you say is going to change reality.

And no Fordtech it is not a rust belt issue as my car developed the problem and I don't live anywhere near the rust belt.

LOL Only common enough that there is a class action law suit over the matter. Look you guys and spin it whatever way makes you feel better. At the end of the day the reality is that Ford has a problem with alumimum hood corrosion and nothing you say is going to change reality.

And no Fordtech it is not a rust belt issue as my car developed the problem and I don't live anywhere near the rust belt.

A tiny percentage of 5 million vehicles is still a very significant number of vehicles and there's no denying that people have issues with corrosion.

I think that this is a case of inconsistent quality, over so many builds you only have to get one, two or three bad examples in a thousand for those

numbers to seriously mount up. Getting right all the time even with steel components is probably not possible either but addressing issues in a

timely manner should always be upper most in customer service.

Edited by jpd80

I just go by what I have seen and since working at a ford dealer since 96 I have not seen this issue enough to call it a epidemic. I'm sure there plenty of hoods with paint defects, but around here and the hundreds of f150s we see a year, it hasn't been a issue.

• Like 1

Didn't have a corrosion issue on my '05. I follow several F150 forums and I have not seen any corrosion issues.

The issue is all over f150online and f150forum.

My 05 has it although I have covered it up with a bug deflector.