16 Chevy Cruze is getting a hatchback

Fgts

Exactly. They're not just Diesel fans, they're German vehicle fans.

They might buy a Ford, but they have in all likelihood so thoroughly accepted the German vehicle branding messages that they'll be vaguely dissatisfied with their choice, regardless of its objective competence.

Where they happily accepted no end of service visits on their German diesels, and persistent electronic glitches, they will be driven to distraction by, say, a single unpleasant service department waiting experience at their nearby Ford dealer.

I know some people buy the marketing hook, line, and sinker but I know even more people who are frustrated with the poor experience on their luxury import vehicles. My sister has had it with the rude BMW service department - and they included maintenance for the first five years at no charge, so she interacts with them a decent amount. She bought the status of buying a luxury import (BMW x3) but will openly admit that the Escape is a better car. Configured with the same or better options as hers, it would be at least $20k cheaper as well. She is considering trading it in and I can say with confidence she won't be buying another one. Among coworkers with foreign luxury cars, most have zero brand loyalty and a number of them are constantly complaining about the rude, slow, and expensive service departments. Ford won't win the whole market segment, but I definitely think there's an opening.

The diesel Cruze is also expensive. Spec wise, it's very similar to the Jetta but the diesel premium for the Cruze is about $7k and it's $4k for the Jetta. The Cruze is 22/35 MPG in gas, 27/46 in diesel. The Jetta is 25/34 (base) or 25/37 (sport) in gas and 31/46 in diesel. Diesel Cruze starts $4k above diesel Jetta.

I am no VW fan but given the choice between a VW or a GM, I'd lean VW. I definitely wouldn't pay more for a Chevy than an equivalent VW.

I think diesel would be more effective in Utilities where the torque and efficiency are more in evidence.

The international versions of Escape, C-Max, Transit Connect and Edge would be logical to consider..

The big question as always is take rate Vs premium charged Vs added complexity to production plants

I would trade in my 2013 Escape that I intended to keep for 15 years in a heartbeat for a diesel version, assuming a $2-4k premium over gas and a good improvement in MPG. Even better if it's a manual.

Of course, I will openly admit to being a member of the manual diesel wagon mafia.

I would trade in my 2013 Escape that I intended to keep for 15 years in a heartbeat for a diesel version, assuming a $2-4k premium over gas and a good improvement in MPG. Even better if it's a manual.

Of course, I will openly admit to being a member of the manual diesel wagon mafia.

Will all the members of the diesel wagon mafia fit in a diesel wagon? :)

It will be interesting to see if the Focus hatch rate declines as more hatches enter the market. I think the American market is becoming more friendly to hatches (and I hope a return to wagons in the future) but it's hard to tell if a particular model is selling well as a hatch because the competitors aren't offering many hatches or if it's selling well completely on its own merits.

I will say that among my friends who drive vehicles that are available as both a sedan and a hatch, the younger they are, the more likely they are to own the hatch version. All my friends who have vehicles available both ways at time of purchase and are younger than me have the hatch. Most who are older than me have the sedan. While I own a Mazda 3 sedan, I bought it used as a second vehicle and would have preferred a hatch still. The hatch generally was commanding a $1000 premium on the used market. I paid $3500 so that's a huge difference.

Nissan will be the only mainstream car company in the US to not offer at least 1 C-segment 5 door hatchback in 2016 model year so I think it's clear to most car companies that younger buyers have a preference for hatchback and they all want to be on the consideration list.

Ford: Focus

GM: Cruze (2016), Volt

Toyoya: Scion iM (2016), Scion xB, Prius, Lexus CT

Honda: Civic (2016)

Nissan: nada

Hyundai: Elantra GT

Kia: Forte5

Subaru: Impreza, XV

Mazda: 3

VW: Golf, Audi A3 (2016)

Nissan will be the only mainstream car company in the US to not offer at least 1 C-segment 5 door hatchback in 2016 model year so I think it's clear to most car companies that younger buyers have a preference for hatchback and they all want to be on the consideration list.

Ford: Focus

GM: Cruze (2016), Volt

Toyoya: Scion iM (2016), Scion xB, Prius, Lexus CT

Honda: Civic (2016)

Nissan: nada

Hyundai: Elantra GT

Kia: Forte5

Subaru: Impreza, XV

Mazda: 3

VW: Golf, Audi A3 (2016)

FCA doesn't have a C-segment hatch either, nor does Mitsubishi(not sure if you consider Mitsu to be mainstream...)

FCA doesn't have a C-segment hatch either, nor does Mitsubishi(not sure if you consider Mitsu to be mainstream...)

I forgot FCA but it does offer a C-segment hatch with Jeep Compass.

Mitsubishi is not mainstream. It barely exists.