HEADS UP DISPLAY

It seems more and more automakers are offering HUD units to display relevant information in lieu of ever busy center dash-any thought on why or if this is coming in the near future?

I'm also puzzled by Ford continues to ignore the benefits of day time running lights? They are advocating safety-so maybe the stats don't show DRL's to be beneficial? I personally think it helps-just like it is mandatory for motorcycles.

It is a law in Canada and has been awhile. RMC your right-it is standard on some vehicles but I am not used to it showing up on Ford's since the vast majority on the road don't have them and I just assumed (know that word:)) it had not migrated towards standard equipment.

It is a law in Canada and has been awhile. RMC your right-it is standard on some vehicles but I am not used to it showing up on Ford's since the vast majority on the road don't have them and I just assumed (know that word:)) it had not migrated towards standard equipment.

Yeah, it seems as though they're slowly proliferating through the lineup.....like getting the more decorative type (see 2016 Explorer) as opposed to just the parking lights on as DRLs.

It is a law in Canada and has been awhile.

It has been the law in Canada for at least 20 years; I know that there was a DRL module available for my '95 SHO (in case it decided to emigrate). They have (or had) a positive safety effect in Canadia, but they don't/didn't have the same effect in the US, and never took off beyond GM products, and then they're really only good for Sylvania and for helping identify GM products (by the one DRL that's inevitably burned out).

As I recall, the main safety benefit in Canada was seen because they logged more miles over rural two-lane highways, where ours tended to be more on multi-lane divided highways. There was something about snow in the mix, but it has been way too long since I read about and discussed DRLs.

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems as though they're slowly proliferating through the lineup.....like getting the more decorative type (see 2016 Explorer) as opposed to just the parking lights on as DRLs.

Explorer and U.S. Edge just use the headlights as DRL, the LED lights are just accent lights and will remain on even if you switch of DRL's in the instrument cluster. The Chinese and Euro Edge (as well as Mondeo) have real LED DRL's that are on the bottom of the headlamp cluster.

It has been the law in Canada for at least 20 years; I know that there was a DRL module available for my '95 SHO (in case it decided to emigrate). They have (or had) a positive safety effect in Canadia, but they don't/didn't have the same effect in the US, and never took off beyond GM products, and then they're really only good for Sylvania and for helping identify GM products (by the one DRL that's inevitably burned out).

As I recall, the main safety benefit in Canada was seen because they logged more miles over rural two-lane highways, where ours tended to be more on multi-lane divided highways. There was something about snow in the mix, but it has been way too long since I read about and discussed DRLs.

When the US studied the accident reduction with DRL's it was found that the sun angle was the difference. The farther south you went the less positive impact they had, by the 37th parallel there was no impact and they actually hurt fuel economy. (GM lobbied and DRL's are deactivated for fuel economy testing) Though even had they shown a huge impact they probably wouldn't have been mandated. Amber rear turn-signals were shown by NHTSA to have an almost 6% reduction in vehicle crashes and they still haven't made them mandatory.

• Like 2

Explorer and U.S. Edge just use the headlights as DRL, the LED lights are just accent lights and will remain on even if you switch of DRL's in the instrument cluster. The Chinese and Euro Edge (as well as Mondeo) have real LED DRL's that are on the bottom of the headlamp cluster.

When the US studied the accident reduction with DRL's it was found that the sun angle was the difference. The farther south you went the less positive impact they had, by the 37th parallel there was no impact and they actually hurt fuel economy. (GM lobbied and DRL's are deactivated for fuel economy testing) Though even had they shown a huge impact they probably wouldn't have been mandated. Amber rear turn-signals were shown by NHTSA to have an almost 6% reduction in vehicle crashes and they still haven't made them mandatory.

03-2016-ford-explorer-fd-1.jpg

My personal theory is most left turn or intersection accidents where DRLs might be helpful are actually caused by people who simply don't look at all, in which case DRLs don't matter one bit.

For DRLs to be effective the person turning left or pulling into an intersection has to A) look for other cars and B) Not see a car that is close enough to hit them in daylight without DRLs.

If you're close enough to a car that they can hit you in the daytime and you actually look for it, you'll see it. With or without DRLs.

Any other situations where DRLs would help (low light or visibility, etc.) would be better served with auto headlamps.

03-2016-ford-explorer-fd-1.jpg

The lights on the Top of the '16 Explorer headlamps are just accent lights and are very dim, you will not see them in bright sunlight (similar to the lights under the headlights in the MKC, or in the Edge) When you activate the DRL in the Explorer it uses the low beam headlight. Focus and Escape have LED DRL's (well I guess the Explorer and some F-150 technically do too because their headlights are the DRL's but those are not styling DRL's)

Mandating automatic headlamps (and taillamps) that also work with the windshield wipers would be a FAR bigger safety improvement. Every day I see at least one or two cars with no lights on and that is a very real danger.

I've wondered if its because so many lights on the dash are always lit up so people assume the headlights are on. I think if its dark and you're driving around the message center should display "Turn on Headlights" if the headlight switch is in the off or parking light position. At least to give people a warning they aren't on. I'm amazed at how many rental cars I see with DRL's on at night, because the people have a faint headlight and the IC dash is lit up.

Also in most new Ford's if you have the lights in Auto position the lights will come on with the wipers, there is a setting though that can disable it.

The lights on the Top of the '16 Explorer headlamps are just accent lights and are very dim, you will not see them in bright sunlight (similar to the lights under the headlights in the MKC, or in the Edge) When you activate the DRL in the Explorer it uses the low beam headlight. Focus and Escape have LED DRL's (well I guess the Explorer and some F-150 technically do too because their headlights are the DRL's but those are not styling DRL's)

I've wondered if its because so many lights on the dash are always lit up so people assume the headlights are on. I think if its dark and you're driving around the message center should display "Turn on Headlights" if the headlight switch is in the off or parking light position. At least to give people a warning they aren't on. I'm amazed at how many rental cars I see with DRL's on at night, because the people have a faint headlight and the IC dash is lit up.

Also in most new Ford's if you have the lights in Auto position the lights will come on with the wipers, there is a setting though that can disable it.

I see that all the time here.

Yes I'm like Akirby in Atlanta and it is everywhere. I am in a lot of rentals and 9/10 I have to turn the lights on. Pisses me off that the car rental companies don't leave the switch in auto.

But this is a huge issue that needs to be addressed quickly. Why should I get a light on my fash if my washer fluid is low or my fuel is low (like I can't read a gauge) but no G D warning that my lights are not on? I taped my switch so my kids would quit touching the damn thing.

How hard could a warning light be that Jason suggested? And I'm not just signalling out Ford since it is an industry issue.

How hard could a warning light be that Jason suggested? And I'm not just signalling out Ford since it is an industry issue.

This is the issue in Canada. With so many cars having back lit displays, when the DRLs come on, many drivers assume the headlights are on.

Only a physical inspection of the headlight switch tells you is they are on or not.

This results in as many as 1 in 20 cars driving at night without lights on.

• Like 1

I'm all for Auto Headlamps, I've never had a car without them. I'm shocked to see how many cars do not have them nowadays. And then I have people asking me "You left your headlights on"...Hmm no...they turn off on their own. And some are surprised...then getting into friends cars like Mazda, Honda, Toyota, I'm seeing that most of them don't have any of that.

Yes I'm like Akirby in Atlanta and it is everywhere. I am in a lot of rentals and 9/10 I have to turn the lights on. Pisses me off that the car rental companies don't leave the switch in auto.

But this is a huge issue that needs to be addressed quickly. Why should I get a light on my fash if my washer fluid is low or my fuel is low (like I can't read a gauge) but no G D warning that my lights are not on? I taped my switch so my kids would quit touching the damn thing.

It would be very simple, it is just very basic programming the hardware is already there! (assuming the car already has auto headlights, people just have the switch turned off) Just looking at the switch position in relation to ambient light form the light sensor. The give the person the option to click okay and exit the warning, then display the warning again after 3min. Hopefully someone at Ford sees this and makes it happen!

That's the biggest reason why I'm glad the Fusion has automatic headlights... I'm that absent-minded at times.

Number 1 reason Cops pull over drunk drivers, headlights aren't on.

Edited by jasonj80