Ford open to partnership on small cars

Ford and Fiat collaborated on their 'A' class 500/Ka so this isn't new territory. Ford and Mazda worked well on the last 'B' platform and with Volvo the 'C' platform. Ford/GM JV transmissions have been pretty successful. So much so they are back at it. If there is to be future projects, I would probably want to work with Mazda again. Frankly I don't trust FCA as far as I can throw them.

It's the job of these C-level guys to, for lack of a better word, spitball stuff.

Like, "Hey, run some numbers on a joint small car program with _________, see if there's enough savings to justify talking to them in depth."

Would Ford partner with FCA? They have in the past. I don't know if the business advantages that Fiat offered then still apply.

Rebadged Focus and Fusion to replace Dart and 200?

Dodge Focus?, Ford 200?...

Hearing more info FCA is doing rwd midsize/fullsize for cars only. I can definitely see a joint developed Dodge/Chrysler fwd cars but it depends who wants to do it. Mitsubishi still have the Illinois factory going...

Ford doesn't need FCA volume to utilize their plants, and they're sure as shooting not going to add capacity to contract build for FCA.

Correct... there is no incentive for Ford to collaborate with FCA on Dart and 200 replacement.

But notice Field mentioned this during the quarterly conference call and the question apparently was couched in "small cars" and nothing specific. Clearly, Ford can probably use a partner in emerging market deathtrap cars*. Ford is lagging behind in this area and a partnership with FCA could be lucrative for both.

* deathtrap car is not literal... just a short hand for value engineered to meet local price point

• Like 1

But notice Field mentioned this during the quarterly conference call

I wouldn't read anything at all into that. The whole framework of the question came from the person who asked it.

Fields is an astute CEO. He's very good at providing a dollop of information tucked inside a rephrased version of the question he was just asked.

Edited by RichardJensen

If Ford was to do something like this, it would have to be more than a car, it would have to be an entire platform. For this reason alone, I kind of doubt it.

I agree, The C and CD Segments are not Like the commercial segment where you could get away with re-branding.

FCA has been making mention of hybrids too, are they going to develop that tech by themselves

or just buy in technology form another car maker - don't just think of Ford building $20k compacts.

Is FCA looking at Ford's next gen offerings and looking to pay less just to get properly designed

and built vehicles instead of cheating.....it would only work if it suits Ford and its next gen product

and electrification roll out - an increase in volume in that direction may suit its ends as well as FCA?

Or it could be Fields taunting FCA by saying Ford is open to partnering but never extending the offer to them.

Edited by jpd80

But A and B?

Toyota is doing it with Mazda now.

It's possible but I can't imagine it yet with cars larger than the Fiesta.

the margins are too small to import from the EU for FCA yet cost for such limited production to to great to keep a factory going.

FCA could look to Nissan or Hyundai for products but it will take time to show results.

Correct... there is no incentive for Ford to collaborate with FCA on Dart and 200 replacement.

But notice Field mentioned this during the quarterly conference call and the question apparently was couched in "small cars" and nothing specific. Clearly, Ford can probably use a partner in emerging market deathtrap cars*. Ford is lagging behind in this area and a partnership with FCA could be lucrative for both.

* deathtrap car is not literal... just a short hand for value engineered to meet local price point

Yup, this would be my take as well. A partnership with FCA, Nissan, or VW could do wonders for emerging markets.

South America is --and will continue to be-- a mess, unless Ford broadens their lineup at the lower end over there.

Edited by pcsario

Yeah I don't think there's much risk of a vehicle built in a Ford plant being replaced with one built in an FCA plant. But shared R&D on low-margin vehicles probably has a lot of appeal. Also, considering how much the major nameplates share the same suppliers there's probably some money to be made back in sharing costs on components.

• Like 1