One for the Panther Mafia

I heard about this. I have no idea how in the world that car ran for as long as it did with a goddamn tree embedded in the engine.

Looks like it didn't go back far enough to reach the mill. The weird part is that it must've folded up the radiator, but it doesn't appear to have leaked--you would expect to see a big daggone pool of antifreeze under there.

The worst thing I've ever found embedded in my radiator was a frog, though a raccoon barely missed getting himself embedded in my radiator at 75mph (though he did bust the front bumper cover and mash the AC condenser back into the radiator). I'm pretty sure "tree" tops them all when it comes to "stuff embedded in your radiator" stories, though.

Looks like it didn't go back far enough to reach the mill. The weird part is that it must've folded up the radiator, but it doesn't appear to have leaked--you would expect to see a big daggone pool of antifreeze under there.

By her admittedly foggy reckoning, she'd already driven 3 miles.

And, based on some crappy repairs performed by the local Ford dealership, I can testify to the ability of a car to travel at least two miles through town with hardly any coolant in it--at least during winter.

Edited by RichardJensen

Not doing the research but Failsafe Cooling System was in my 97 Mark8, and I understand it was in a few other vehicles prior to that. I believe it's circa early 90s tech starting with the Intechs. Continental bragged about it in '94 as well. Although from personal experience I will say it goes into 4 cylinder mode, but those ponies don't jump past 2000rpm when they do, so hitting even 25MPH for very long feels like eternity, then the system will nicely tell you "Turn off the road"...then "Vehicle will Turn off", and u better do it within seconds because it will if you wont.

4.6L 5.4L 6.8L all the way back to the introduction in 1991, Duratec 3.0L also had it. Not sure if any of the new engines will do it, but think the NA v8 would as well.

Thanks guys for responses Good feature in any case-rather than immediately shut down say and leave you in the middle of an intersection. Suppose I could contact my dealer for specifics on my vehicles

Thanks guys for responses Good feature in any case-rather than immediately shut down say and leave you in the middle of an intersection. Suppose I could contact my dealer for specifics on my vehicles

In your owners manual under fail-safe cooling will give you specific information.

What exactly is this "owners manual" you speak of?

It's that book in the glove compartment that's still wrapped in plastic for 5 years. By the way, I always suggest people take out all reading material out of the bathroom and replace it with the owners manual. Maybe then it will get read.

• Like 1