2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Autoblog

2017-chevy-camar-zl1004-1.jpg

Its (sic) runs a supercharged 6.2-liter V8 cranking out an estimated 640 horsepower and 640 pound-feet of torque. Codenamed LT4, you know this engine from the Corvette Z06. That power allows the 2017 ZL1 to outgun the '15 model by 60 hp and 84 lb-ft. "This is the hammer in the Camaro lineup for Gen Six," Reuss said. It will go on sale late this year.

All of that power will be hooked to GM's first use of its long-awaited 10-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, which is tuned for the prodigious output of the ZL1.

Looks like both companies are debuting the 10AT on performance models.

That grill is hideous. (IMO)

When are we expecting the new GT500?

Looks like a piece of cyclone fence!

I dunno, haven't heard any rumors lately about it....though I think the best thing to do is drop the Raptor Ecoboost engine with a different tune...but they haven't even said how much the production GT engine is doing...and I think Wiki is smoking crack with their numbers and I don't think instagram is exactly a citable source.

Or we'll see a supercharged 5.2L maybe?

I'm betting supercharged 5.0 or an ecoboost 4.x or 5.0. I don't think you can use forced induction on a FPC engine very easily.

I'm also betting closer to 700 hp (708?) and you're not getting that from a 3.5LEB. Race version is 600, Raptor is 450. That's not enough.

I'm betting supercharged 5.0 or an ecoboost 4.x or 5.0. I don't think you can use forced induction on a FPC engine very easily.

I'm also betting closer to 700 hp (708?) and you're not getting that from a 3.5LEB. Race version is 600, Raptor is 450. That's not enough.

The engine in the GT race car only makes 600hp because the rules require it to run 33.2mm inlet restrictor on each turbo. Roush/Yates people that build the race engines said they make about 1000hp unrestricted.

The "Little" 5.0 Coyote in supercharged form has been used for years reliably in the Aussie GT Falcons.

Although rated at 335 Kw (449 HP), the cars actually make close to that at he rear wheels with only 9 psi boost..

Super reliable and dependable at close on 500 hp at the flywheel, so it's conceivable that a properly

upgraded Coyote with intercooler and more boost gould easily go beyond Chebby's 630 hp.

The "Little" 5.0 Coyote in supercharged form has been used for years reliably in the Aussie GT Falcons.

Although rated at 335 Kw (449 HP), the cars actually make close to that at he rear wheels with only 9 psi boost..

Super reliable and dependable at close on 500 hp at the flywheel, so it's conceivable that a properly

upgraded Coyote with intercooler and more boost gould easily go beyond Chebby's 630 hp.

Hellions twin turbo kit with bigger injectors can do 900hp at the rear wheels all day on a stock Coyote.

• Like 1

The engine in the GT race car only makes 600hp because the rules require it to run 33.2mm inlet restrictor on each turbo. Roush/Yates people that build the race engines said they make about 1000hp unrestricted.

I didn't realize that was with the restrictors.

It makes sense though as these type of car will only sell to the most dedicated drivers, (the thing that makes it special is that not everyone can have one) so over the course of a few model years the'll probably "unrestrict" some hp and sell a new wave of them or keep demand strong throughout.

Hellions twin turbo kit with bigger injectors can do 900hp at the rear wheels all day on a stock Coyote.

Maybe so but you're comparing retrofit to factory fit and full warranty.

By no means is the coyote at its limit - not at 9 psi and no inter cooler.

That has more to do with the limits on the Falcon's firewall, insufficient

Funds to upgrade before the end.

I've heard from local owners that 900 RWHP is within reach with those

Bullet proof hand built Miami engines, much stronger internal than atmo

Engines you're talking up, the atmo's scintered iron rods are a concern

at that power level

Edited by jpd80

Maybe so but you're comparing retrofit to factory fit and full warranty.

By no means is the coyote at its limit - not at 9 psi and no inter cooler.

That has more to do with the limits on the Falcon's firewall, insufficient

Funds to upgrade before the end.

I've heard from local owners that 900 RWHP is within reach with those

Bullet proof hand built Miami engines, much stronger internal than atmo

Engines you're talking up, the atmo's scintered iron rods are a concern

at that power level

Yes, but it's not some "delicate flower" that doesn't have potential.

An LS with the same turbo kit needs internal upgrades to make those numbers.

Yes, but it's not some "delicate flower" that doesn't have potential.

Of course but it's really false economy not to upgrade with better rods and pistons.

If you're only going to a small upgrade in power then I'd say the internals are fine

but once you really start leaning on those engines, a sturdy foundation is essential.

....and it's not mega dollars either.

Edited by jpd80

Chevy engineers talking smack already about ripping the GT350R a new one on or off the track. Remember when Chevy guys used to blow their bags about how Ford needed a blower to compete? Haha, shoe on the other foot now. Believe me, they'll be using the whole "factory stock" argument to their advantage this time. With us though it was BS.

Edited by 97svtgoin05gt

Chevy engineers talking smack already about ripping the GT350R a new one on or off the track.

You mean to tell me that Chevrolet needs a S/C 6.2 v8 to blow a 5.2 NA car to the weeds?

Then all I can say is God help them when a GT500 turns up.......

Edited by jpd80