Nissan shows off new Titan pickup

silvrsvt

Looks fine, consistent with other trucks. The rest depends on ability and engineering and somehow I doubt Nissan has put the resources into their truck that Ford has.

To go a step further, I don't think Nissan has the resources to put into their truck that Ford has. If nothing else, Ford has been building top notch trucks for longer than Nissan has even been a company.

Most people who buy trucks don't actually use the truck so perhaps it doesn't matter to all customers that Ford has engineered their truck to meet a wider variety of conditions and uses. It's one of the reasons the SUV has become the crossover. The F-150 is often criticized for it's harsh and unsettled truck ride and handling which isn't ideal for those non-truck users who would ultimately prefer a posher luxury truck for on-road commuting. That is one avenue to taking marketshare away from the Ford, it's one of the reasons RAM trucks are standing out and I think it was a smart strategy. Ford clearly shouldn't change their strategy, but it can't be all things to all people and there is clearly room for others to play. That's one of the advantages to not having an entrenched customer with specific needs to fulfill.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

Wonder when they are going to go into full "rip off" mode and offer a direct injected twin turbo V6...

GM will have to do that first. Along with pop can panels.

They'll claim they've always been into turbo's ever since Saab. Make it look like they invented the idea.

Most people who buy trucks don't actually use the truck so perhaps it doesn't matter to all customers that Ford has engineered their truck to meet a wider variety of conditions and uses. It's one of the reasons the SUV has become the crossover. The F-150 is often criticized for it's harsh and unsettled truck ride and handling which isn't ideal for those non-truck users who would ultimately prefer a posher luxury truck for on-road commuting. That is one avenue to taking marketshare away from the Ford, it's one of the reasons RAM trucks are standing out and I think it was a smart strategy. Ford clearly shouldn't change their strategy, but it can't be all things to all people and there is clearly room for others to play. That's one of the advantages to not having an entrenched customer with specific needs to fulfill.

Excellent post BORG! This is the era of the "lifestyle" pickup truck, evidenced by strong growth of high-end variants such as F-Series King Ranch & Platinum, Sierra Denali, Silverado High Country, Ram Laramie Limited, Tundra 1794 Edition, and TITAN XD Platinum Reserve.

There's room for even more growth in this market, as yuppie whippersnappers apparently love luxury oriented trucks. ;) I'm sure Nissan will get its share with TITAN and TITAN XD.

Edited by aneekr

It may also point to the reason why Ford should be considering a softer ride in the next Expedition,

I think that's the area where Ford really needs to lift its game now that crew cabs are the bulk of F150 sales.

The Expedition could then offer a more car like experience to those buyers wanting a softer more plush ride..

Edited by jpd80

It may also point to the reason why Ford should be considering a softer ride in the next Expedition,

I think that's the area where Ford really needs to lift its game now that crew cabs are the bulk of F150 sales.

The Expedition could then offer a more car like experience to those buyers wanting a softer more plush ride..

As long as they can do it without compromising towing capacity. I see a lot of Expys pulling campers and large boats.

As long as they can do it without compromising towing capacity. I see a lot of Expys pulling campers and large boats.

The current Expedition has a pretty nice ride....

The new Expedition/Navigator can't come quick enough and IMO, probably just as important

as Super Duty given the sales potential of those new versions.

Edited by jpd80

This is an alternative to the 8000 people a month that have to have a non-American brand truck like the Tundra. They simply don't shop, they just know what they want.

Or what they don't want.

As long as those customers continue to be satisfied with Nissan's and Toyota's offerings in the segment, those two OEMs should likewise be satisfied with the revenue from TITAN and Tundra sales.

Incidentally, both TITAN and Tundra seem to have a very loyal following in the Southern U.S., more so than in the Midwest. In my visits to Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma, I was amazed at the popularity of those two truck models there.

Edited by aneekr

As long as those customers continue to be satisfied with Nissan's and Toyota's offerings in the segment, those two OEMs should likewise be satisfied with the revenue from TITAN and Tundra sales.

Incidentally, both TITAN and Tundra seem to have a very loyal following in the Southern U.S., more so than in the Midwest. In my visits to Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma, I was amazed at the popularity of those two truck models there.

Nissan trucks (both Titan and Frontier) are popular in Virginia. I saw a bunch of them when I was there on my honeymoon last year.

• Like 1