2017 PIU "No Profile" light bar.

The hub caps will always give it away.

Yesterday I passed an accident scene on a State highway, I saw a Deep Impact Blue Fusion with the slim light bar, flashing bumper and high output headlights. I would have never known it was a squad if the lights weren't flashing. It was either a local or State Patrol, either way, it was very unmarked.

We have an all white "stealth" PUI around here, it doesn't have any markings at all. All you can see is the housing for the LEDs in front of the visors, steel wheels, mesh cage for the back seats and painted white side spotlights. Could be undercover or detective unit, not sure the agency as there was no one near it.

Yesterday I passed an accident scene on a State highway, I saw a Deep Impact Blue Fusion with the slim light bar, flashing bumper and high output headlights. I would have never known it was a squad if the lights weren't flashing. It was either a local or State Patrol, either way, it was very unmarked.

If it's a Fusion, it's more likely a supervisor's car rather than a patrol car, but you never can tell.

The hub caps will always give it away.

They have started offering regular Explorer Rims now on the PIU vehicles. I've seen several including my town which is a Black PIU with no exterior lights visible and regular Explorer rims.

I believe this started with the 15MY PIUs..

We have an all white "stealth" PUI around here, it doesn't have any markings at all. All you can see is the housing for the LEDs in front of the visors, steel wheels, mesh cage for the back seats and painted white side spotlights. Could be undercover or detective unit, not sure the agency as there was no one near it.

Stealth in white....hard to spot for sure...rims are the quickest give-a-way.

19749516876_7f2fde4acc.jpg

Edited by twintornados

I would say half of the Explorers I see are PIUs, to me Explorers have become the new Panthers, mostly synonymous with fleet duty like the Charger or Impala.

Well, yeah, except for the 90% of them that *aren't* PIU's and carry an ATP near $40k.

They're so fleet focused and Panther-like, they had to make up a new top trim level that stickers over $50 grand.

Good grief.

• Like 2

The italic "Police" Livery Ford shows on the PIs - can it be ordered from Ford? I've seen cities that have it and wondered if it was factory or if someone capitalized on selling Fords design.

1d1d585e3a9d95944f4ddbab3bfa130b.jpg

Edit: Looks like it is available from Ford, both "POLICE" and "SHERIFF".

Edited by sullynd

The italic "Police" Livery Ford shows on the PIs - can it be ordered from Ford? I've seen cities that have it and wondered if it was factory or if someone capitalized on selling Fords design.

1d1d585e3a9d95944f4ddbab3bfa130b.jpg

Edit: Looks like it is available from Ford, both "POLICE" and "SHERIFF".

Question- are those wheels with the center caps a special option? All the Mass State Police have those cheesy fake "spoke" hub caps- they look like hell and I wonder if they are also less effective in terms of dissipating heat???

Question- are those wheels with the center caps a special option? All the Mass State Police have those cheesy fake "spoke" hub caps- they look like hell and I wonder if they are also less effective in terms of dissipating heat???

I think it's just the opposite. I think those cheesy ones you mentioned that the Mass State Police use are the optional ones. I've only seen the ones pictured in the wild myself.

I think it's just the opposite. I think those cheesy ones you mentioned that the Mass State Police use are the optional ones. I've only seen the ones pictured in the wild myself.

I sure hope not! I can't believe they are functional vs the center caps. My small town has two Chargers-Hemi's of course-you never know when they will get a " Code-3" for a possum struck by a car on the state road that runs through town-as well at two Explorers-one with the fake wheel covers the other with the center caps. If you want a tough "puposeful" look, the center caps have it hands down IMO.