Do Consumers Even Want Autonomous Cars?

http://www.toptechnews.com/article/index.php?story_id=1300042F3HEU

The results, published Wednesday, found that 80% of survey participants said people should "always have the option to drive themselves." Sixty-four percent of respondents said they need to be in control of their own vehicle and 62% said they enjoy driving.

When asked about fully autonomous cars -- cars that drive themselves and do not have steering wheels or pedals -- a third of respondents said they would never buy such a vehicle. That could be bad news for Google and other automakers currently at work on such products.

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

I support these cars for "other" people... just imagine, drivers (well cars) that actually use turn signals. Where the car picks up the slack and doesn't have like 20 car lengths in front of them during traffic. Cars that don't try to cut you off or squeeze into an impossible fit. Cars that actually turn onto the right lane, and not turn and cut 3 lanes over. I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about THE OTHER drivers who fail most of these previously mentioned points. This tech will make ok drivers, better...and horrible drivers, just as good...

• Like 2

A lot of people see cars as basic transport but equally, the biggest up selling point for manufacturers

is emotional engagement of buyers. Without that "puppy love" moment, it's much harder to sell

all those value adding options that dealers and manufacturers rely on for increased profit.

A lot of people see cars as basic transport but equally, the biggest up selling point for manufacturers

is emotional engagement of buyers. Without that "puppy love" moment, it's much harder to sell

all those value adding options that dealers and manufacturers rely on for increased profit.

Agree-kind of what I was trying to convey in previous post

As I've always thought, when an accident happens, and they will. (That's another thread)

Who will be paying for the damages for property, human injury or the biggest suffering.

Presently we're hearing the manufactures stating they will.

But I'm betting down the road, those same corporations will remove themselves and will be able to get laws passed to protect them too.

Then will the insurance companies step up and if so, how much will that cost?

I just don't trust or want to trust technology or want to rely on technology to that level.

I also realize there will be a day when I should not be driving any more and would like some sort of independence.

My final statement is, this reminds me of the 60's and early 70's when 'everyone will be traveling in their flying cars.

Never happened, not to the extent they were selling us the idea in those days.

As I've always thought, when an accident happens, and they will. (That's another thread)

Who will be paying for the damages for property, human injury or the biggest suffering.

Presently we're hearing the manufactures stating they will.

But I'm betting down the road, those same corporations will remove themselves and will be able to get laws passed to protect them too.

Then will the insurance companies step up and if so, how much will that cost?

I just don't trust or want to trust technology or want to rely on technology to that level.

I also realize there will be a day when I should not be driving any more and would like some sort of independence.

My final statement is, this reminds me of the 60's and early 70's when 'everyone will be traveling in their flying cars.

Never happened, not to the extent they were selling us the idea in those days.

And the clear winners in this debate?? The lawyers of course!