Ford Bronco will ride again, says CEO Mark Fields at Detroit auto show

Anyone got a good reponse to this GM hack on PUTC?

1. Ford's Sport Trac did not sell and this Ranger will not sell either. Too heavy for the compact market and not capable enough for the half ton crowd to take seriously.

2. Ford's time-to-market performance on this is classic. By the time that interest in the mid size market is completely watered down, Ford will be selling the Ranger. It's a joke.

3. Ford could make a winner of this Ranger concept if they focused on the value buyer, the 25-35k price point. But they won't. They will try to goose the price on these Rangers into the mid 40s. No thanks.

comments-box-arc.gif
Posted by: papajim | Jan 10, 2017 1:40:00 AM

1. No reason to think the new Ranger won't resolve those issues (if they are issues) - they're not just dumping the current model into the US as is.

2. Oh, you mean like how long it took them to bring back Camaro? GM chose midsized trucks over vans. Ford chose vans over midsized trucks. Which do you think is more profitable?

3. No reason to think there won't be a XL version starting around $25K. But being a winner in sales volume but not profit is what GM does, not Ford.

4. Who really gives a crap what these yahoos think?

• Like 3

1. No reason to think the new Ranger won't resolve those issues (if they are issues) - they're not just dumping the current model into the US as is.

2. Oh, you mean like how long it took them to bring back Camaro? GM chose midsized trucks over vans. Ford chose vans over midsized trucks. Which do you think is more profitable?

3. No reason to think there won't be a XL version starting around $25K. But being a winner in sales volume but not profit is what GM does, not Ford.

4. Who really gives a crap what these yahoos think?

5. Stop going to PUTC. Haven't been there in around 3 years. Don't miss it.

Ranger owners spouting off about the new Ranger, remind me of the Panther Mafia....they never bought them brand new and even when they where new, they didn't make Ford that much money.

Average price of a new car is well north of $25K...if you want something cheap, buy a used car...that isn't as cheap as it used to be either. I was lucky to get $5 grand for my 1998 Mustang when it was 4-5 years old. My 2006 Mustang GT, which will be 11 in April, still commands about $5-6K on the used market, despite it being nearly 3x older.

Anyone got a good reponse to this GM hack on PUTC?

1. Ford's Sport Trac did not sell and this Ranger will not sell either. Too heavy for the compact market and not capable enough for the half ton crowd to take seriously.

2. Ford's time-to-market performance on this is classic. By the time that interest in the mid size market is completely watered down, Ford will be selling the Ranger. It's a joke.

3. Ford could make a winner of this Ranger concept if they focused on the value buyer, the 25-35k price point. But they won't. They will try to goose the price on these Rangers into the mid 40s. No thanks.

comments-box-arc.gif
Posted by: papajim | Jan 10, 2017 1:40:00 AM

1. Mid Sized trucks in general are all much larger then versions from the early 2000s. A nice size and price niche

has developed just below full sized trucks. Next Generation Ranger is different to the current global version and

weight is one big area being addressed.

2. If a market trend is that weak that sales will be gone in two years, then the project really has no decent business case.

GM and Toyota are in mid sized trucks for the long term benefits, Ford also see the market freshening and wants back in.

3. The entry point for F150 is around $26K, that pretty much dictates the entry price for Ranger will be slightly less

It's easy to be dismissive and see Ranger as a nothing product, a lot of that comes from the perception

that Ford is doing nothing more than delivering the very same eight or nine year old truck platform as now.

Those assertions are laughable, Ford has been working on next generation Ranger for the past two years

and should be approaching final engineering lock in by now. There's still plenty of work to do on it between

now and when the first examples hit the roads in late 2018.

Globally, Colorado has been playing catch up since the introduction of T6 ranger in 2010. While the current

example is a much better truck, it has the advantage of a massive mid cycle redesign to be acceptable for

Nth America and to build recognition globally...all of that against an Aging Ranger that surpassed it years ago.

I

magine how the next generation Ranger will again gap Colorado globally and give North American buyers the

mid-sized truck they really want.

Edited by jpd80

Average price of a new car is well north of $25K...if you want something cheap, buy a used car...that isn't as cheap as it used to be either. I was lucky to get $5 grand for my 1998 Mustang when it was 4-5 years old. My 2006 Mustang GT, which will be 11 in April, still commands about $5-6K on the used market, despite it being nearly 3x older.

Believe it or not......

The estimated average transaction price of a new car or truck sold in the U.S. in April was $33,560 — 2.6% higher than in the month a year ago, according to data from auto researcher Kelley Blue Book.

Believe it or not......

The estimated average transaction price of a new car or truck sold in the U.S. in April was $33,560 — 2.6% higher than in the month a year ago, according to data from auto researcher Kelley Blue Book.

I thought it had gone even higher then that...it begs the question though...how can it be sustainable with 7 year loans and the like? It would seem that leasing would be a better route for some people.

High priced trucks and suvs in the $50K - $75K range has driven up the average. But you can still get an affordable new vehicle for less than $20K. I'd like to see a chart for the low priced new vehicles - I bet they haven't risen nearly as much as the overall average.

I was thinking the same for the Bronco...I'd like to keep my payments about $400 month vs what I'm paying now.

My thought has been that Bronco pricing could mirror Edge pricing. Edge starts around $29K and tops out around $50K.

Looking at it, Escape starts just under $24K and goes up to about $38K. So maybe Bronco could start around $26K or so for the ultra stripped model that everyone here wants and go up to around $46 or so for a loaded model (with all the goodies for me :P ).

Edited by rmc523

I would be interested in a Ranger XLT Supercab for less than $30K. The equivalent F150 was in the $32K - $35K range. After rebates.

Intriguing depending on what it comes with

I have a very specific list of what I want, I will not settle for anything different (except the manual transmission because that's probably not happening. Thanks society) and I'll factory order if I need to.

HOW TO AGE INVOLUNTARILY....I remember selling ranger std cab 5 speeds with no A/C for the advertised price of $8995........SCHWING!

I BOUGHT a 1990 standard cab ranger 5 speed manual I4 with sliding rear window, A/C, chrome bumper and wheels and a FOUR (4) speaker cassette stereo for $7995.

5 years later I bought a loaded 1995 4.0L manual supercab XLT for about twice that much.

• Like 1

Paid $5.5k for a new off the lot ranger in 91...our 71 chebby C10 was new for $2k off the lot..best deal i ever got though was a 95 probe gt..luved that car...engine was fantastic..had 5 speed...can i get a 5 speed in a focus hatch today..nope..gotta have that crap auto..seriously a focus hatch and no manual...what the heck ford...

Well i just tried to build a 17 focus SE and all i seen was an auto must have..i will go check...mrs snoots needs a new car...my 12 fiesta has been great...45mpg at times..we dont want an auto for a grocery getter..well since i just woke up id really like a 4sp top loader close ratio like my 70 boss 302 had in the foci..hell put a shaker on the foci and i would be good too..auto's are best suited for snowflakes and yes i feel the need for a safe space

Edited by snooter