Ford Bronco will ride again, says CEO Mark Fields at Detroit auto show

That's exactly what I meant in that post but changed it later.

Ah.....well that wouldn't seem very efficient to me production wise. They'd essentially be designing two different vehicles at that point, no? As opposed to designing one and extending it to a 4 door (I know it's not that simple, but still)?

Ah.....well that wouldn't seem very efficient to me production wise. They'd essentially be designing two different vehicles at that point, no? As opposed to designing one and extending it to a 4 door (I know it's not that simple, but still)?

To be honest I was just rambling. Slow day at work. I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

I'm sure there is going to be multiple frame lengths for the Ranger to be able to accommodate the various cab/bed configurations. Pick 2 for the Bronco that best suits a 2 and 4 door model and engineer accordingly.

I'm sure there is going to be multiple frame lengths for the Ranger to be able to accommodate the various cab/bed configurations. Pick 2 for the Bronco that best suits a 2 and 4 door model and engineer accordingly.

Exactly. My point was that it wouldn't make sense to engineer a "basic" 2-door model with removable doors and roof, and then engineer a completely different "traditional" 4-door model that has fully enclosed (non removable) doors and a solid roof.

All of this is being driven by customer feedback that tells Ford those buyers want "rugged" looking SUVs

to go wth the existing unitary soft roaders. So I think Ford will be open to versions that underscore those

differences and could include things mentioned (removable doors / hatches) - a two door version on

a shorter wheelbase would probably act as a great counterpoint against Escape while allowing the

longer wheelbase four door to occupy the traditional BOF Explorer space and go to work there.

The potential to grow sales in another direction and worry less about car sales..

If this goes to plan, we'll see that re-balance away from cars increase.

Edited by jpd80

Following on from the other thread where i showed that like for like, T6 Ranger is similar weight to Colorado (LINK)

An evolved version of T6 is therefore more than a match for any of GM or Toyota's Mid sized truck offerings.

Making Bronco a derivative adds up to big savings over a dedicated platform, it's money that doesn't have to be

recovered while delivering a very different Utility that Ford's buyers have been asking for, that's gotta be a win-win.

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like R&T has a slightly different take on what the 2019 Ranger and 2020 Bronco will be. They seem to think the first vehicles sold here will be nothing more than slightly restyled for the US versions of the current T6 Ranger and Everest. Then, depending on how well they sell, we could get the next gen versions. Looks like they are still buying what the "designer" on Reddit is saying. Doesn't make sense to me but whatever...that guy could very well be an "insider" but he probably works for GM or FCA. :doh:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a31079/new-ford-bronco-ranger-details/

Edit: Changed link to more recent R&T article. This one sounds better but still relies somewhat on Redditor.

Edited by blksn8k2

Looks like R&T has a slightly different take on what the 2019 Ranger and 2020 Bronco will be. They seem to think the first vehicles sold here will be nothing more than slightly restyled for the US versions of the current T6 Ranger and Everest. Then, depending on how well they sell, we could get the next gen versions. Looks like they are still buying what the "designer" on Reddit is saying. Doesn't make sense to me but whatever...that guy could very well be an "insider" but he probably works for GM or FCA. :doh:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a31079/new-ford-bronco-ranger-details/

Edit: Changed link to more recent R&T article. This one sounds better but still relies somewhat on Redditor.

"Ford's Chief Technical Officer Raj Nair, however, contradicted that assertion. According to him, the new Bronco will be a unique vehicle, not a reworked Everest. Size-wise, he said expect something smaller than the Bronco II but bigger than the original Bronco. "

That doesn't sound right at all....

The Bronco II was pretty small, no?

Bronco II was based on the old Ranger Platform and was small

The Bronco of the same era was based on the F-150 and bigger..but as frame of reference:

1996 Bronco

Wheelbase 104.7 in

Length 183.6 in

Width 79.1 in

1990 Bronco II

Wheelbase 94.0 in

Length 1983-1988: 158.3 in

1989-1990: 161.9 in

Width 68.0 in

2016 Escape

Wheelbase 105.9 in

Length 178.1 in

Width 72.4 in

IMO the new Bronco is going to be roughly the size of the Edge next go around:

2016 Ford Everest

Wheelbase 112.2

Length 192.6

Width 73.3

2016 Ford Edge

Wheelbase 112.2 in

Length 188.1 in

Width 75.9 in

Bronco II was based on the old Ranger Platform and was small

The Bronco of the same era was based on the F-150 and bigger..but as frame of reference:

1990 Bronco II

Wheelbase 94.0 in

Length 1983-1988: 158.3 in

1989-1990: 161.9 in

Width 68.0 in

The '96 Bronco isn't really relevant. The '76 Bronco's specs are, as best I could find:

Wheelbase 92"

Length: 152"

Width: 69"

Height: 71"

There's not a lot of room to be bigger than the original Bronco and smaller than the Bronco II.

I think he meant "second generation" Bronco. That one was based on the F150. So, bigger than the original, but smaller than the second generation.

Road and Track's quote:

Size-wise, he said the new Bronco will slot between the first and second generation.

• Like 2

I never would have guessed that the Bronco II had a wheelbase that was actually 2" longer than that of the original.

BTW, has there been any mention of the next Ranger (and Bronco) being any wider than the current T6? Everything I have seen recently seems to indicate not.

The problem is we have two contradictory indirect quotes from R&T. One article references first and second generation Broncos, but the other references the Bronco II.

Yay, precision journalism.

Latest quote from edmunds.com....

What the heck is a Bronco?

• Like 2