2018 Ford Mustang

The boxy and bulbous front-end, from the beginning the designers wanted to lower the fascia but couldn't because of pedestrian crash regulations in Europe. The Mustang has always struggled to look lean and modern and this is definitely a signifiant jump forward.

Although I like the louvered taillights, the hard vertical design didn't do the back any favors. The new sculpted c-shapes flow much better with the carved out back end.

I still think the interior is WAY too retro dopey and over designed, it certainly won't age well, but it has its charms. The new instrument panel makes a huge difference.

I don't think I'd take design advice from a Youtube unboxer....

• Like 1

While I like the new car; I like the exterior design of my 2013 GT better...of course; I'm an old guy.

Funny thing is that it's us old guys that can afford to buy & insure a Mustang GT :D

I am curious though about the improved 5.0L. I also wonder what will have to be done to retrofit into an older chassis...say a 2013?

While I like the new car; I like the exterior design of my 2013 GT better...of course; I'm an old guy.

Funny thing is that it's us old guys that can afford to buy & insure a Mustang GT :D

I am curious though about the improved 5.0L. I also wonder what will have to be done to retrofit into an older chassis...say a 2013?

Cost wise I have no clue but I can't imagine it would be that hard of a project since the block (and iirc the engine mounts) are pretty much the same, it might just be a matter of wiring it all up and fitting the additional plumbing for the added injectors.

And now that I think of it, even if the engine mounts aren't the same as long as the points all line up I can't imagine it would be that big of a problem for someone who knows what they're doing to fabricate new ones. The mounts on the 2015+ are solid hunks of metal anyway, I just don't know what the alloy is.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

What are you going to do about the software that controls all of those new parts and making the 2018 engine parts work with the 2013 body/other parts?

Just wondering out loud for now...don't bring reality into this ;)

I am very happy with my current 5.0L. My dyno sheet shows I'm putting 430.12 hp and 412.01 tq on the rear wheels. That's 495 hp & 475 tq at the flywheel (assuming 15% loss in driveline). This is my daily driver, so it's as much or more than I need currently. Who knows what the future will hold.

As of now, my 'Stang will give my 393 Cleveland all it can stand in the seatofthepantsdyno. My buddy says he thinks the 'Stang would win in 1/4 mile.

something tells me someone who is a lot smarter than I am will end up figuring that out, if nothing else because why not.

Unfortunately it's not that easy nowadays where everything is interconnected like a computer network. If you can get a new pcm calibration that works with the new engine it may not be able to communicate with the BCM, SJB, etc. And I doubt anybody is going to hack all that firmware. These days it's actually easier and cheaper just to swap vehicles.

Unfortunately it's not that easy nowadays where everything is interconnected like a computer network. If you can get a new pcm calibration that works with the new engine it may not be able to communicate with the BCM, SJB, etc. And I doubt anybody is going to hack all that firmware. These days it's actually easier and cheaper just to swap vehicles.

Ford usually comes out with a kit for this. Plenty of Coyote swaps going on in earlier Mustangs.

On a different note,

would anyone know how FRAP will balance out the RHD Export Mustang builds, we're being told that

Ford will go back to exclusively building LHD models until North American demand is covered.

We're worried because of Ford extra slow delivery rate (9-12 month) so does anyone know scheduling

for last builds and whether Ford will finish with a flurry of RHD cars before it pauses production for

those markets?

I've read that the six-speed manual is not carry over and has been upgraded as well. Is this transmission still made in China? There were a number of quality issues with the last manual that was sourced from China, so it would be nice to avoid that this time.

I've read that the six-speed manual is not carry over and has been upgraded as well. Is this transmission still made in China? There were a number of quality issues with the last manual that was sourced from China, so it would be nice to avoid that this time.

My guess is they're using the Tremec from the GT350 since they've upgraded the engine output.

The only thing I saw about the transmission was the clutch was going to be updated...not a new one.

I had read a twin disc clutch and a dual-mass flywheel for added strength and better pedal feel. As well as new gearing with a shorter first gear and two overdrives for improved acceleration and better fuel economy.

That would require widening the 2-4 ratios and would be a different tranny than the Tremec in the GT350.