Ford to show all-new vehicle tomorrow. New Expedition?

Seriously? You think this is "more adventurous styling"?

2016-chevrolet-tahoe-exterior-07.jpg

I did say I didn't really like them, but my experience is that they do have "presence" on the street. People buy lots of them for some reason. My first impression of the new Expedition certainly wasn't "Wow!" For me, it feels like it just mixes into the crowd of SUVs/CUVs. My opinion.

I did say I didn't really like them, but my experience is that they do have "presence" on the street. People buy lots of them for some reason. My first impression of the new Expedition certainly wasn't "Wow!" For me, it feels like it just mixes into the crowd of SUVs/CUVs. My opinion.

Ok, fair enough, but there's a point you made that's important - you've seen the GM triplets in person, you haven't seen this (none of us have, for that matter), so it may in person have that presence that doesn't come across in pictures.

That's because it is the only domestic full size SUV with modern tech in it. The Expedition wasn't competitive with it from that standpoint. Outside of the fact that the body has been essentially the same since 2007.

• Like 1

Ok, fair enough, but there's a point you made that's important - you've seen the GM triplets in person, you haven't seen this (none of us have, for that matter), so it may in person have that presence that doesn't come across in pictures.

That seems to be a common issue with Ford vehicles.

True. I thought I did write that in my reply but apparently the thought didn't get to my keyboard.

That's because it is the only domestic full size SUV with modern tech in it. The Expedition wasn't competitive with it from that standpoint. Outside of the fact that the body has been essentially the same since 2007.

2003 in fact. The body of the current model hasn't changed since 2003 - it's gotten two new front designs since then, while the back has gotten 1 new bumper and a chrome bar across the same liftgate from 2003.

I find a lot of Japanese cars these days look bad in pictures and worse in person.

+1, no kidding. And just when you think they can't make a vehicle any uglier, they come out with an even uglier redesign.

3.5EB won't be the only mill.

Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

I think the new Expy looks great and will be very successful. No doubt the GM triplets are the benchmark, but Expy will be lighter, more fuel efficient and better dynamically with IRS and better P/T options. At a minimum, it offers a very compelling alternative to the triplets .. something GM hasn't had to face in more than a decade in this segment.

Since it looks so much like the Explorer, I wonder if it will steal sales from upper end Explorers to say a Limited Expedition to get the newest features?

Apparently there is going to be a updated Explorer at the Chicago Auto Show also...we'll find out in a couple days.

Since it looks so much like the Explorer, I wonder if it will steal sales from upper end Explorers to say a Limited Expedition to get the newest features?

I suppose it's possible, but there are some people who will want the smaller Explorer. And we're hearing they're going to reveal a refreshed Explorer at Chicago as well, so they'll both be new.

I really doubt it. Moving up to the Expedition is a decent jump in size, and if you don't need that size, you likely won't move up to the Expedition for the new features. My $0.02, but I know my wife wouldn't, and we will be in the market for a new Explorer in 2-3 years.

We surley haven´t heard the final alternatives for engineering yet.

Hoevner wont comment on whether Ford might consider dropping the F-150s coming 3.0-liter turbodiesel V-6 under the hood of the new Expedition, though from our point of view, that seems inevitable.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/2018-ford-expedition-first-look/

I like their little crack about brand loyalty at the end. Of course there's no brand loyalty, the only brand that's really competitive in the segment is GM until today.