Ford Motor Company 2017 May Sales Figures

I agree. Cars aren't going away, and they need to remain competitive.

And now that car volumes are coming down, it's important to understand what those remaining customers want.

I'n Europe it seems that Ford has been successfuly selling more ST, Titanium and Vignale trim levels, so perhaps

North America can take a leaf from that plan instead of chasing the de-contented entry model buyer.

I think they need to reaffirm Mulally's tenets of affordable quality and best in class fuel economy.

Big difference last month was fleet business for Ford Versus GM.

Ford's daily rental is up around 15.7%, Commercial 12.4% and Government 6.3%

GM's daily rental is down at 9.4% while Commercial/government combined is10%

Ford Retail is 158,282 plus Fleet at 82,844

GM Retail is ~191,315 and Fleet ~46,048

• Like 1

I would love to know what the future plan is for cars.

Forgive me for using Motor Trend as a source, but it's the only place I've seen any info lately. They claim that after the Expy and Navi debut later this year:

For 2019, look for a new Explorer and companion Lincoln Aviator, the EcoSport, Ranger, and Focus. (for 2020) Ford is expected to update its massively important F-150 in 2020 as well as launch a new Escape/Lincoln MKC, the Ford Fusion/Lincoln MKZ, the Bronco, and another crossover. The 2021 lineup should include the overdue electric crossover with a range of more than 200 miles, a Lincoln flagship sedan, Mustang coupe and convertible, and a coupe for Lincoln.

I added the parenthetical 2020, as it seemed to make sense in the context of the article.

How accurate is the above? No idea, again, it's from Motor Trend. Full article: http://www.motortrend.com/news/lots-vehicles-especially-crossovers-way-next-four-years/

Edited by Harley Lover

Forgive me for using Motor Trend as a source, but it's the only place I've seen any info lately. They claim that after the Expy and Navi debut later this year:

I added the parenthetical 2020, as it seemed to make sense in the context of the article.

How accurate is the above? No idea, again, it's from Motor Trend. Full article: http://www.motortrend.com/news/lots-vehicles-especially-crossovers-way-next-four-years/

Sounds about right.

Fuzzy, when the article says "Bronco and another crossover" have we reached a consensus that the Bronco will be a 2 door 'true Bronco' (i.e. the Mustang of the Ford SUV family) and the Territory could very well appear as a 4 door?

Territory? Isn't that dying alongside Falcon? Do you mean Everest?

Regardless I still think we'll see a 2 and 4-door Bronco.

Fuzzy, when the article says "Bronco and another crossover" have we reached a consensus that the Bronco will be a 2 door 'true Bronco' (i.e. the Mustang of the Ford SUV family) and the Territory could very well appear as a 4 door?

I don't really think anyone has reached a consensus on what the Bronco will be, as those of us with contacts have heard conflicting stories on what exactly the Bronco is.

As for what "another crossover" will be, I have zero idea. My understanding was that Territory was on its way out (isn't that BOF anyway?).

Everest, yes. To your point, if we take the Motor Trend article as being accurate, I'm wondering what they reference when they mention "... and another crossover" with the Bronco mention.

Everest isn't a crossover, it's BOF built on the Ranger platform. Maybe they're referring to the Lincoln Aviator that's coming soon?
  • Like 1

As for what "another crossover" will be, I have zero idea. My understanding was that Territory was on its way out (isn't that BOF anyway?).

Territory and Falcon Production ended last October, Territory was a derivative of the Falcon Platform and was RWD/AWD Unitary.

Everest isn't a crossover, it's BOF built on the Ranger platform. Maybe they're referring to the Lincoln Aviator that's coming soon?

Gosh, I hope so.

That way, there'd be a lot of differentiation between The Ford Bronco and a Lincolnized Everest ( Aviator?).

Edited by jpd80

Territory and Falcon Production ended last October, Territory was a derivative of the Falcon Platform and was RWD/AWD Unitary.

Gosh, I hope so.

That way, there'd be a lot of differentiation between The Ford Bronco and a Lincolnized Everest ( Aviator?).

At that point, it wouldn't be "Lincolnized Everest".

I would assume the "other crossover" would be:

1. Aviator, companion to the next-gen Explorer.

2. The Model E electric/hybrid small CUV.

3. A different smaller (i.e. Smaller than the Edge) CUV, alike an "Outback" version of a Focus.

4. A different Lincoln CUV below the MKC.

Aviator is going on the Explorer platform. Everest would make sense as a 3rd vehicle to go with Bronco and Ranger if they have the plant capacity. It won't sell in big numbers but nothing else would either - at this point it's about filling out the lineup with smaller volume (25K - 100K) niche vehicles on shared platforms. It could also be sold globally.

I still wonder how bad Fields F'ed up Ford's new products. Is Focus really going to Hermosillo?

Aviator is going on the Explorer platform. Everest would make sense as a 3rd vehicle to go with Bronco and Ranger if they have the plant capacity. It won't sell in big numbers but nothing else would either - at this point it's about filling out the lineup with smaller volume (25K - 100K) niche vehicles on shared platforms. It could also be sold globally.

I still wonder how bad Fields F'ed up Ford's new products. Is Focus really going to Hermosillo?

It'll certainly be interesting. Hopefully he didn't do too much damage, and hopefully the rumors of things like CD6 existing are true.

They will have the capacity. Lots of talk around MAP about 1 shift for the Ranger until Bronco launches. Where there's smoke there's fire with that one. I personally doubt that plant will ever see 3 shifts again, even when things pick up again unless a 3rd vehicle goes in there. Everest doesn't make much sense to me, why build it for export when they can build it in Thailand where it's closer to its main market of Australia?

bad enough to cost him his job. Yes, HMO is getting the Focus.

Everest doesn't make much sense to me, why build it for export when they can build it in Thailand where it's closer to its main market of Australia?

I didn't say export just to Australia - I'm sure those would continue to be built in Thailand. I was thinking Europe and South/Latin America and Canada.

I think there is room for both an Everest SUV and an Edge CUV now.

I dont understand why so many keep thinking the Everest will come here. If Ford were not building the Bronco, I could see it happening. But the Bronco is coming and the business plan MUST include a 4door version. A 4door Bronco would over lap too much with the Everest which in turn also overlaps with the Edge and Explorer.

I sometimes wonder if the Fkex will be replaced by an "Explorer Max." It could share its interior and engines, etc, but have an increased wheelbase for a larger third row and cargo area, and a unique/altered front end styling. This could capture Flex owners plus some minivan intenders plus people who want more room than an Explorer but don't need/want the size/towing/truckiness of an Expedition.

I didn't say export just to Australia - I'm sure those would continue to be built in Thailand. I was thinking Europe and South/Latin America and Canada.

I think there is room for both an Everest SUV and an Edge CUV now.

Isn't Everest more Explorer-sized?

It is going to depend on what the Bronco ends of being, if its a true Wrangler fighter it would make sense. Everest would be for your small family Towing/Off road vehicle. Bronco your DINK/Single lifestyle off road vehicle.

I can say I'm not interested in Everest. And I'm not interested in a 2-door Bronco. If there's no 4-door Bronco, I wouldn't even consider it.

It is going to depend on what the Bronco ends of being, if its a true Wrangler fighter it would make sense. Everest would be for your small family Towing/Off road vehicle. Bronco your DINK/Single lifestyle off road vehicle.

This. ^^^