Ford Motor Company 2017 May Sales Figures

I can say I'm not interested in Everest. And I'm not interested in a 2-door Bronco. If there's no 4-door Bronco, I wouldn't even consider it.

Just because you wouldn't consider it doesn't mean that others will not. Ford sold 25K Flex's in the US and Canada last year, the Everest in its current form would easily double that. Toyota sold 118K 4 Runners last year and Jeep sold 226K Grand Cherokees last year. Very few of those buyers are looking at anything in the Ford stable right now.

• Like 1

Just because you wouldn't consider it doesn't mean that others will not. Ford sold 25K Flex's in the US and Canada last year, the Everest in its current form would easily double that. Toyota sold 118K 4 Runners last year and Jeep sold 226K Grand Cherokees last year. Very few of those buyers are looking at anything in the Ford stable right now.

I didn't say others wouldn't buy/consider Everest, just that I wouldn't, at least in current form compared to a 4-door Bronco.

But what should also be considered is that Grand Cherokee is Jeep's Explorer; 4 Runner is Toyota's Explorer. You'd certainly pull some sales away from Explorer by adding an Everest. Now could you have a net gain of units between Everest and Explorer, yeah, but you'll definitely steal some Explorer sales. Where would Everest be priced? Less than Explorer? Are you then diverting sales to a lower priced (and therefore less profitable) products?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

Edited by rmc523

I didn't say others wouldn't buy/consider Everest, just that I wouldn't, at least in current form compared to a 4-door Bronco.

But what should also be considered is that Grand Cherokee is Jeep's Explorer; 4 Runner is Toyota's Explorer. You'd certainly pull some sales away from Explorer by adding an Everest. Now could you have a net gain of units between Everest and Explorer, yeah, but you'll definitely steal some Explorer sales. Where would Everest be priced? Less than Explorer? Are you then diverting sales to a lower priced (and therefore less profitable) products?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

It is a valid question, I would think base it would start more than a Explorer but end up cheaper on the top end but I also think the next Explorer goes up a bit in Size and price which allows for the 3 row edge to show up here. There will be a bigger gap between the Explorer and Expedition length with the new one with the Expedition growing 4"

I would say the Highlander is Toyota's Explorer (200K) and the Durango (73k) would be FCA's Explorer.

• Like 1

I think Explorer is going upmarket a bit leaving room lower in the lineup for folks who want something smaller but still just as capable.

4 runner and JGC don't have 3 rows and Explorer seems a good bit larger but I didn't check actual dimensions.

I think Explorer is going upmarket a bit leaving room lower in the lineup for folks who want something smaller but still just as capable.

4 runner and JGC don't have 3 rows and Explorer seems a good bit larger but I didn't check actual dimensions.

Doesn't Everest have 3 rows? (I could be wrong, and am too lazy to look it up). Fair enough, though, if it doesn't. Hopefully it wouldn't step on Edge too much either, though they'll obviously cater to different markets.

Doesn't Everest have 3 rows? (I could be wrong, and am too lazy to look it up). Fair enough, though, if it doesn't. Hopefully it wouldn't step on Edge too much either, though they'll obviously cater to different markets.

It's a 3-row SUV with 112" wheelbase, in between Edge and Explorer in overall length.

It's more rugged and off-road capable like the older BOF Explorer

News-New-Ford-Everest-Interior-3rd-Row-S

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

It's a 3-row SUV with 112" wheelbase, in between Edge and Explorer in overall length.

It's more rugged and off-road capable like the older BOF Explorer

News-New-Ford-Everest-Interior-3rd-Row-S

How big is the 3rd row in the Everest? Is it a Kid 3rd row, a teen 3rd row, or an adult 3rd row? I Can't imagine anyone over about 5'9" fitting in there based on that photo.

IMO still too much overlap between the Bronco and Everest if they where going to make both products in North America.

Wouldn't make much sense having 4 products that are in the 30-55K price range between the Explorer, Everest, Bronco and Edge competing against one another.

The Wrangler and GC are different enough mostly because the Wrangler is alot like the pre-2015 Mustang...its rough around the edges and is more off road focused. You'd be playing the Explorer/Everest and Bronco against one another and the Everest and Bronco would be more or less competing against one another for the same market if they both have 4 doors. It would make more sense just to have the Bronco in NA and market it like the Mustang in the rest of the world...it is more or less the Mustang of the SUV world it seems.

The Wrangler and GC are different enough mostly because the Wrangler is alot like the pre-2015 Mustang...its rough around the edges and is more off road focused.

That's what I expect from the Bronco which leaves room for a more civilized yet still capable Everest. In terms of price I'd say Everest would fit between Bronco and Explorer. I don't expect a Platinum Bronco but I could definitely see a Platinum Everest.

Of course nothing says they have to do Everest either. I'm just saying if there is going to be another SUV there that makes the most sense. Aviator would be with Explorer either in CAP or FRAP.

Zero chance Aviator goes to FRAP Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Could simply be 7 passenger Edge. That'd allow Explorer to move up, but would probably lose some volume.

But they'd build that at Oakville, not MAP. It wouldn't share anything with Ranger/Bronco.

I do think it's coming though - maybe with the next MCE?

How big is the 3rd row in the Everest? Is it a Kid 3rd row, a teen 3rd row, or an adult 3rd row? I Can't imagine anyone over about 5'9" fitting in there based on that photo.

When there's only 112" wheelbase, the third row leg room suffers,

consider all these mid sized offerings as occasional third row.

If you want an adult sized third row then a longer wheelbase is necessary,

by that I mean something you'd find in Flex, Expedition and the like.

Edited by jpd80

When there's only 112" wheelbase, the third row leg room suffers,

consider all these mid sized offerings as occasional third row.

If you want an adult sized third row then a longer wheelbase is necessary,

by that I mean something you'd find in Flex, Expedition and the like.

The 2002 Gen Explorer had a 113.8 wheelbase with an overall length of 190 inches with a 3rd row

The Everest is 192 inches long

I'm 6'2 and sat in the back of my Mom's 2002 Explorer's 3 row...it was tight but nothing horrible for a short trip under 30 minutes for an adult if you need too.

• Like 1

A scenario I would be on board with, which I don't think anyone has mentioned:

Next Everest becomes the next Explorer (returning to rugged roots)

Current Explorer evolves to become CD6 3-row "Edge" (volume softroader)

Hey, it could happen. Probably won't, but it could.

I mean if Aviator is RWD, it seems like they'd get more economies of scale with making Explorer RWD too.

Not sure how the current Explorer would evolve into an Edge though, given the size disparity.

I mean if Aviator is RWD, it seems like they'd get more economies of scale with making Explorer RWD too.

Not sure how the current Explorer would evolve into an Edge though, given the size disparity.

I think he means to do like they are doing in China. A stretched Edge 3 row.

4 Runner and JGC are nearly identical to Edge in all dimensions. All three are midsize SUV.

Explorer is ~8" longer and 2" wider than all of them.

Edited by bzcat

4 Runner and JGC are nearly identical to Edge in all dimensions. All three are midsize SUV.

Explorer is ~8" longer and 2" wider than all of them.

That's why I expect the Bronco to focus in that area...to be honest if its any bigger then that, I'm really not interested in it.

I don't think Ford should have more than 1 3 row mid sized CUV/SUV. Even the mighty Toyota is dropping the Venza and just making the Highlander.

Now throw in a Lincoln 3 row, that sounds good.

Venza was only a 2 row wagon, Honda is also said to be bringing back the Passport as a 2 row SUV. I wouldn't be shocked to see Toyota re enter that market with a 2 row SUV type vehicle. The Venza and Crosstour had horrid styling.