Ford gets downgraded on rising SUV competition from GM

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/04/ford-gets-downgraded-on-rising-suv-competition-from-gm.html

• Nomura Instinet lowers its rating for Ford Motor to neutral from buy.
  • The firm believes the automaker will lose sport utility vehicle sales to General Motors in the coming year.
  • Ford shares have underperformed the market this year. Its shares declined 9.9 percent year to date compared with the S&P 500's 10.4 percent return through Thursday.

More at link

Stock price is a concern..but losing suv sales to of all brands GM i find somewhat surprising..granted GM suv's have made a huge improvement in interior quality in last year but beyond that i think there exterior styling leaves much to be desired..bottom line is ford stock is poor and needs to improve..

Should we have a new Explored in 2019 as a 2020 model? Expedition SHOULD be doing better than it is now. Ecosport and probably a new Edge? Seems like a lot of speculation to me.

GM does have some nice new models just coming out or set to be out soon, but the article completely ignored the new Expy/Navi, the EcoSport, coming refresh for Edge, MKC, and MKX, and the F-150 refresh; so while Ford does have some aging models in the short term (Escape, and especially Explorer), it's not as if they're doing absolutely nothing.

GM also has about 300,000 more vehicles in inventory than Ford so while it has newer Utilites,

that effect might not filter through for a while as GM needs to sell down that inventory that's

mostly stuffed into dealerships.

In the meantime, Ford will cry all the way to the bank with F Series sales.

2017: New Explorer & Expedition

2018: Ranger

2019 Explorer, Bronco & Escape?

Edited by jpd80

GM does have some nice new models just coming out or set to be out soon, but the article completely ignored the new Expy/Navi, the EcoSport, coming refresh for Edge, MKC, and MKX, and the F-150 refresh; so while Ford does have some aging models in the short term (Escape, and especially Explorer), it's not as if they're doing absolutely nothing.

Yes, I saw that too about ignoring new models and refreshes. It was very light on details as to how they reached that conclusion.

I just read the clif notes and responses. The article says this year and coming year and Ford has nothing that is going to stir things up. Where Lincoln has a MkC Cadillac has their XT5 and an already super hot escalade going against an un known Naviagtor.

The article is correct. The ecosport is not going to do much and is not here tomorrow. Same with Explorer, Bronco, etc.

GM is not sitting around and has more stuff in the pipeline than Ford does.

In another year when some of this stuff gets clearer they will change/can their mind. In the meantime their advice is don't run out and buy shares.

Straightforward to me.

• Like 1

I just read the clif notes and responses. The article says this year and coming year and Ford has nothing that is going to stir things up. Where Lincoln has a MkC Cadillac has their XT5 and an already super hot escalade going against an un known Naviagtor.

The article is correct. The ecosport is not going to do much and is not here tomorrow. Same with Explorer, Bronco, etc.

GM is not sitting around and has more stuff in the pipeline than Ford does.

In another year when some of this stuff gets clearer they will change/can their mind. In the meantime their advice is don't run out and buy shares.

Straightforward to me.

Expedition/Navigator are here in 3 months. And they're hardly "unknown."

• Like 1

I would like to hear an analyst describe what it felt like the exact moment they realized their job was a huge fraud--that knowing a company's fundamentals was unnecessary, that ten seconds with a few different websites was sufficient to churn out another boilerplate report, and that all of this was in service of the creepy, shady people in sales.

I would like to hear an analyst describe what it felt like the exact moment they realized their job was a huge fraud--that knowing a company's fundamentals was unnecessary, that ten seconds with a few different websites was sufficient to churn out another boilerplate report, and that all of this was in service of the creepy, shady people in sales.

I would like to hear from them how much per hour it pays to be this fraudulent. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

I would like to hear from them how much per hour it pays to be this fraudulent. Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

Not as much as they're making over on the sell-side.

But you do get to self-importantly say, "Fnork Forbledorp, Wells Fargo. I was wondering if you could talk about..." several times a quarter.

Quoting the word "priceless" on a message board...

Seriously. Do you think for one minute that these analysts care about what you think? Acting like your job as a message board analyst is more important. Get over yourself. It's an opinion. Your opinion is no better.

Edited by 02MustangGT

My job isn't. But this is one analysts opinion. I am fairly certain that at one point in your life you have been proven wrong. Are you now considered a fraud?

I'm not talking about the analyst being *wrong*.

I'm talking about the sham that is investment bank analysis--at least what they release for public consumption.

Complaining about an analysts opinion on a message board. Priceless.

When his opinion ignores several key facts that would be found out just by looking at Ford's homepage - facts which refute his argument, at minimum to a large degree - then, yeah, he'll complain about it and point out such oversights.

• Like 1

I'm in it for the long run. I'm currently down ~15% on 102 shares (I only initially bought enough to get the X plan). The dividends are great and they get reinvested and I'll continue to buy more while it is low. F is my only red spot in my portfolio, but I see that as a challenge. :)

Edited by Anthony

While Ford has done a good job with Expedition and Navigator, I think they chose the wrong time to raise prices so drastically. With GM improving,the needle won't move much in Ford's favor.