'18 Expy Interior Review

for those making pricing comments, in a nutshell,.....the more expensive a vehicle is the smaller the pool of buyers....therein lies the issue, unfortunately the Expedition, due to inflation and content, finds itself at an MSRP that most cannot fathom, let alone afford.....

Then why is GM selling so many?

There are plenty of buyers willing to spend that much (plenty in terms of that market).

• Like 1

for those making pricing comments, in a nutshell,.....the more expensive a vehicle is the smaller the pool of buyers....therein lies the issue, unfortunately the Expedition, due to inflation and content, finds itself at an MSRP that most cannot fathom, let alone afford.....

That's weird, even with their NVH problems GM doesn't seem to have a problem selling them.

Exactly, price is negligent for this market. If you make a product that appeals to all markets, the customers will buy. Gm sells so much because they have three of the same that appeals to different markets, one for the casual family, one for upmarket/quality appeal, anf one for urban appeal. Because of this, gm was able to oversaturate the product which adds nore to the appeal. The ppl who dont buy gms are people who care about those products shortcomings, which are many. It doesn't help that many professional reviewers test all the products then acclaim them, atleast until they are compared against other vehicles. Gm did right by their full size suvs/customers, they make em pretty, and constantly update them feature wise to offset its negatives. The other manufacturers arent as progressive as gm, losing customrs in the process. Ppl will buy the lincoln/ford, and if the 18 sells well enough despite the price jump, hooefully they will be as progressive as they used to be with their fs suvs.

Well I guess they'll have to look at the Explorer instead.

I have extended family that had Escaldes and couldn't stomach the price increases, so they "downgraded" into Tahoes, which where a little bit more affordable.

Cars/Trucks aren't cheap...and a 40K price point for a well equipped for an newer F-150 doesn't seem to be hurting sales.

With new vehicles prices you will see even more people being forced into the Used car market for vehicles, which isn't really bad. Other than a few outliers which are pretty easy to spot with a simple internet search you can get 200K on pretty much any vehicle without a major issue assuming you change the oil and do regular maintenance on them.

With new vehicles prices you will see even more people being forced into the Used car market for vehicles, which isn't really bad. Other than a few outliers which are pretty easy to spot with a simple internet search you can get 200K on pretty much any vehicle without a major issue assuming you change the oil and do regular maintenance on them.

Depending on your view point, used car prices will also rise with new car prices, since pricing (well at least on more expensive cars) needs to keep pace with price increases during trade in to a point to make the car "affordable"...then again 72 and 84 month payment plans are a thing now too.

Depending on your view point, used car prices will also rise with new car prices, since pricing (well at least on more expensive cars) needs to keep pace with price increases during trade in to a point to make the car "affordable"...then again 72 and 84 month payment plans are a thing now too.

I remember when 72 month car loans came into being. The first ones were only for luxury cars, as the sale price had to be over $30K. Of course, this was when a Taurus topped out at somewhere around $27K brand new (and that was a hard loaded SHO).

While purchase price is the initial factor, the bottom line is that customers make decisions on what fits their budget. That means that they buy monthly payments that are affordable. With increased vehicle quality and longer ownership most customers will easily opt for a longer loan or lease term if it helps them get the payment they can afford to get the vehicle they need or want.

I find it interesting when people put Deposit down on new vehicles. I have never had to do that and have never had an issue.

I can understand if it were a vehicle ordered with odd options or color but for a normal vehicle I think shouldn't be necessary.

Edited by tbone

While purchase price is the initial factor, the bottom line is that customers make decisions on what fits their budget. That means that they buy monthly payments that are affordable. With increased vehicle quality and longer ownership most customers will easily opt for a longer loan or lease term if it helps them get the payment they can afford to get the vehicle they need or want.

This may be good for us older guys that want something nice without spending a lot. If I'm no longer able to drive before the payments are up, I may not care what happens to the vehicle.

• Like 1

Is it possible to use the sale price negotiation "tricks" of purchased vehicles for leases as well. I see the tips for purchasing a vehicle and wonder how would they apply for leasing when your not actually purchasing/financing the sale price of the vehicle but the lost applied residual value of the vehicle?

Is it possible to use the sale price negotiation "tricks" of purchased vehicles for leases as well. I see the tips for purchasing a vehicle and wonder how would they apply for leasing when your not actually purchasing/financing the sale price of the vehicle but the lost applied residual value of the vehicle?

That's a common misconception with leases. You are actually purchasing the vehicle and you can negotiate the purchase price of the vehicle just like any other sale. It's just a different form of financing so you have to also take into account the residual value, taxes, interest rates, etc. Now it's true that a lot of leases are factory subsidized and have some preset terms but you can still negotiate to lower the initial cost in most cases.

• Like 1

I never leased a vehicle before but after researching, it seems like a smarter idea than to buy, atleast for newer vehicles. The dealership did give me a sort of dummy plan which looked very good, right where i wanted to be, but if possible how would you negotiate those prices, the same way(work off percentages and final price instead of payment), or through the lease terms and payments? Sorry i learn a lot through u guys and dnt wanna get screwed over since clearly the dealer knows i want this truck lol

• Like 1