Offical 2019 Ranger thread

Bob, I cant see why it would be any different....Boss loaded crewcab Ranger, Super XLT Supercab, workers either base Supercab or std cab with longer bed......

I think his thought is that since it's a cheaper truck, perhaps the "boss" will pay a higher price to get a mid range model since it'd be similar to a low range F-150.

And answering those questions determines #4 - is it worth the investment to achieve the results projected in #3.

It’s amazing folks don’t understand the cost of offering a different configuration - different sheet metal, crash testing, frames, driveshafts, EPA mpg testing, possible suspension changes, etc. etc. etc. It adds up so there better be a significant amount of profit there to offset it.

chassis is one wheelbase...check...one engine, ...check, doors... check, interior .....check, B pillar forward check....all that leaves is capping off the cab ( already done in Australia ) and the requisite bed size...already done in Australia...whats left...crash tests...and I would say because the trucks already developed B pillar forward that's a shoe in....

• Like 2

Not sure what the official name of this is but I assume it is a dealer talking points list for customers who inquire about the 2019 Ranger:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175224

Duh, I guess the title of the thread says what it is.

Here's a graphic. States Ranger will not be in showrooms until next February. They should have revealed it next year.

post-14602-0-75903500-1516321035_thumb.jpg

It’s amazing folks don’t understand the cost of offering a different configuration - different sheet metal, crash testing, frames, driveshafts, EPA mpg testing, possible suspension changes, etc. etc. etc. It adds up so there better be a significant amount of profit there to offset it.

Just a minor nit pick, but the driveshaft and frame are determined by the wheelbase, not the cab configuration. Ford already has multiple cab structures on the same wheelbase in the F150, and it's likely true of the new Ranger. I don't have the current numbers handy, but in '13, you could get all three F-150 cab configurations on a 145" wheelbase; all that changed was the length of the bed.

• Like 2

Pioneer, I guessed march April....and I agree....or at the bare minimum waited till June/ July to unveil as they have....Ford has a bad habit of doing this thinking it will drum up interest....people have memories like gnats and novelty wears off fast...the Bronco may be different....haven't seen so much interest in an upcoming vehicle for YEARS.

Edited by Deanh

Just a minor nit pick, but the driveshaft and frame are determined by the wheelbase, not the cab configuration. Ford already has multiple cab structures on the same wheelbase in the F150, and it's likely true of the new Ranger. I don't have the current numbers handy, but in '13, you could get all three F-150 cab configurations on a 145" wheelbase; all that changed was the length of the bed.

I know but that would require at least a 8 foot bed which seems too long for a Ranger.

Bob, I cant see why it would be any different....Boss loaded crewcab Ranger, Super XLT Supercab, workers either base Supercab or std cab with longer bed......

Dean, I guess I'm making the case that I don't see the Ranger competing with 150 or really in the case of the contractor class, 250. To me the field boss is going to be in a 3/4 ton. be it std cab, super or crew. And most of the guys I know in that group have std cabs.

I make the case for the std cab Ranger as that guy that wants the lowest cost small truck he can get for personal use.

Or the fleet that does NOT carry any kind of either weight or cube (volume). Its the exterminator (Orken was a huge Ranger customer), the parts house who is running around with minimal weight in the bed. Or any business owner who wants a low cost means of moving some goods on occasion-be it taking some trash bags to the "dump"-"transfer station", picking up parts whatever.

Contractors? In my mind most are going to want a vehicle with some capacity be it carrying or towing.

In my life, our pick ups were always 3/4 ton 4 x 4. They had to function as snow plows, road service trucks if a big truck had an on road issue and a mechanic went out on a road call , or if we went to a rental house to drag a big air compressor or some other piece.

If a facility was large enough (acreage) perhaps a Ranger would work to get an operator from area "A" to area 'B"

I doubt the wheelbase of this Ranger differ from the ones already on the road in Aussie/ New Zealand...in which case theres NOTHING that isn't already avail for any cab configuration barring getting it federalized.

I don't know if the wheelbases are different, but someone (Mike Levine?) already said that the NA and ROW Rangers ride on different frames, although they apparently have common mount points for the cab and bed.

I know but that would require at least a 8 foot bed which seems too long for a Ranger.

I'm not sure which wheelbase it has, but it would only need an 8' bed if the SuperCrew has a 5.5' bed (those are what you'd get on a 145" 2013 F-150--Regular Cab with 8' bed or SuperCrew with 5.5' bed).

If the Ranger cab is like the F150 cab, the regular cab will be a lot bigger than it was previously, so you might not even need a full 7' bed to take up the space.

I'm not sure which wheelbase it has, but it would only need an 8' bed if the SuperCrew has a 5.5' bed (those are what you'd get on a 145" 2013 F-150--Regular Cab with 8' bed or SuperCrew with 5.5' bed).

If the Ranger cab is like the F150 cab, the regular cab will be a lot bigger than it was previously, so you might not even need a full 7' bed to take up the space.

I was just guessing by the Supercab having a 6’ bed with the back seat being at least 24 inches. I think a 6 foot bed regular cab on a shortened wheelbase is the best option but that’s obviously more expensive.

I was just guessing by the Supercab having a 6’ bed with the back seat being at least 24 inches. I think a 6 foot bed regular cab on a shortened wheelbase is the best option but that’s obviously more expensive.

I haven't checked the relative sizes between the F150 Regular Cab and Super Cab, but there's a lot of space behind my '13's driver's seat. Even with it all the way back, there's enough for a Craftsman toolkit (100-ish pieces, IIRC) to lie flat and still have space fore and aft, so I'm going to guess that it's somewhere around 18" of space. The cab is significantly larger than the cab on my '91 F-150.

differences could just be regarding the requirements for the powertrain in the US compared with ROW....does Aussie chassis have 6 crossmembers?...

I think that's part of it but they also said they modified the ends of the frame to accommodate mounting the steel bumpers. I sure hope those powertrain frame mods include enough space for the 2.7EB. :stirpot: