Offical 2019 Ranger thread

Why aren't other makers pursing this market then? There has to be a reason they they aren't.

I don’t know why this is so difficult to understand. Same reason we don’t have wagons or manual transmissions. When they do get built nobody buys them.

Everybody used to buy regular cab trucks and almost no super or crew cabs. Now you can hardly find a regular cab truck outside XL work trucks and everybody wants crew cabs.

If it was worth all that trouble somebody would be selling one today.

Yes sir. Main advantage of aluminum over steel is lower density. That means reduced mass for the same volume of material used. Advantages of steel are strength for given thickness, stiffness, form-ability, and cost. In a pickup truck, that makes aluminum best suited to movable parts like doors and hood. Aluminum is good for engine block and head, fenders, and wheels too. Steel is better for components subjected to repeated loads like the bed and parts of the body structure.

I dont disagree with anything you said however, for the way the vast majority of people use their trucks the repeated load is a non-issue. Hopefully you arent taking your position from the thoroughly misleading Chevy commercials. But if you want to dump blocks into your bed like that, buy a plastic bed liner and your problem is solved. Of course no truck owner I know would do it that way whether it was aluminum or steel.

And since you live in the south, you dont have an appreciation for how damaging the salt in the snow belt is. Ill take the aluminum with its perceived disadvantages.

• Like 1

And in the case of the Ranger, what is Ford doing by NOT offering a conventional cab?

It is responding to North American preferences for basic midsize pickup trucks sir. USA, Mexico, and Canada midsize pickup truck customers these days gotta have space in the cab behind the front seats. In Mexico, where the Ranger is already being sold, only double cab configuration is offered. https://www.ford.mx/content/dam/Ford/website-assets/latam/mx/nameplate/ranger/brochure/fmx-ranger2017-catalogo-descargable.pdf

I dont see how it is a waste with a regular cab, I'm guessing but I would say the major investment is the chassis, engine, drivetrain and B pillar forward...all of which Ford already has...jettison all the BS...keep it simple as Ive stated, price it around 24k ( that's 1000 less than the 1.0 Eco sport which by the way has no margin either ) and go at it, have a $300 bed delet option for a chassis and add $500 for a payload upgrade ( extra spring in the rear, and voila...POTENTIAL in a vacant market.

• Like 2

I dont see how it is a waste with a regular cab, I'm guessing but I would say the major investment is the chassis, engine, drivetrain and B pillar forward...all of which Ford already has...jettison all the BS...keep it simple as Ive stated, price it around 24k ( that's 1000 less than the 1.0 Eco sport which by the way has no margin either ) and go at it, have a $300 bed delet option for a chassis and add $500 for a payload upgrade ( extra spring in the rear, and voila...POTENTIAL in a vacant market.

Unless there is some major difference in the cab designs between the NA and ROW trucks, they already have a regular cab/long bed version for the ROW markets that uses the same length frame.

Boy thats a gigantic load of shit right there

Man, they been full of them lately

That is the Fake News Network, right? Seriously though, I think what Hinrichs was trying to say is that compared to shrinking Focus sales and with the anticipated boost from Bronco sales the plant will be in better shape in the long run.

BTW, did they actually show the entire interview? Seems like it was cut short.

That is the Fake News Network, right? Seriously though, I think what Hinrichs was trying to say is that compared to shrinking Focus sales and with the anticipated boost from Bronco sales the plant will be in better shape in the long run.

Hes taking the company line, he's not the only person to say that. I know Im one of the few but Im not buying it for a second.

BTW, did they actually show the entire interview? Seems like it was cut short.

Ive yet to find it. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I don’t know why this is so difficult to understand. Same reason we don’t have wagons or manual transmissions. When they do get built nobody buys them.

Everybody used to buy regular cab trucks and almost no super or crew cabs. Now you can hardly find a regular cab truck outside XL work trucks and everybody wants crew cabs.

If it was worth all that trouble somebody would be selling one today.

Heck, most work trucks are crew cabs these days so the companies can put 5 people in them to go to jobs.

Correct-but obviously you as a sales person and I as a retired customer who bought conventional cabs because that was what I needed for my business are a minority. Like I said-everyone reads the same book. When GM crashed they had SUV's up the ass sitting in lots all over the country-then everyone couldn't wait to build small cars.

Now cars are out-and in particular big sedans-. Someone better tell Toyota, Kia and Hyundai to take a quick look at their product slate.

As for regular cab pick ups, I have to say around this part of the country, GM OWNS that market. I would say I see 3 plain jane conventional cabs by GM for every 150 I see.

I believe it was TwinT who posted a picture of a new Ram half ton in Verizon colors. No ladder rack-no back pack-nothing but transportation for someone who might have to throw something in the back. This is what some of us are talking about.

When the economy swings around-and it will, the buyer for the loaded Lariat crew cab just might disappear.

Ford has a great opportunity to cash in on a market that has no competition.

OH JPD-80- Just ordered American Icon from my library. And if you haven't read "Once Upon a Car" pick it up. Lessons in what happens when everyone marches to the same drum beat.

As for this vaunted single cab market that everyone keeps clamoring for...

Perhaps the reason that it no longer exists is that the alternative for it meets the requirements that the market demands or wants.

Why be stuck with a single cab pickup that can barely fit two people in it when you can get a extended or crew cab that can fit at least 4 people in it? Is a 8 vs 6ft bed going to make that big of a difference to most people?

I see full sized Single cab trucks as stand in for something that could be done by a midsized truck or another product. If its being used just as transportation to get people around, its being vastly under utilized that can be met by something else that is more efficient in space/gas/whatever. A Park Ranger really doesn't need a F-150 (well around where I live at for the most part) when a Ranger could do the same thing.

its much like 2 door SUV's-They died off in the mid 1990s for the most part, because 4 door models did the same thing with better passenger space. Its the same deal with Single cab vs super/extended cab/whatever trucks.

The original Ranger was built for the average home owner that need a good tough little truck to make the occasional run to the dump and lumber yard on weekends. During the week he could use it for his commute to work because it had a good ride and decent gas mileage. We are now looking at a Ranger that is what, 85% the size of a full size truck, 90% of the cost? Four doors, a bed so high you can't reach into the back of? If you need a truck to carry the wife, your 1.3 kids and 1.2 dogs around you would be better off with a full size truck. Lets go back to a good little truck for the home owner, remember when the Ranger first came out they were a huge success. I have had 5 Rangers and loved them all, well except for the '85 4x4, the 2.8 and 4AOD, it lacked speed, even going down hill :) Personally I would love to see the Ranchero return, give me a MKZ 2 door with all wheel drive and the 2.7L EB with a pickup bed.

The original Ranger was built for the average home owner that need a good tough little truck to make the occasional run to the dump and lumber yard on weekends. During the week he could use it for his commute to work because it had a good ride and decent gas mileage. We are now looking at a Ranger that is what, 85% the size of a full size truck, 90% of the cost? Four doors, a bed so high you can't reach into the back of? If you need a truck to carry the wife, your 1.3 kids and 1.2 dogs around you would be better off with a full size truck. Lets go back to a good little truck for the home owner, remember when the Ranger first came out they were a huge success. I have had 5 Rangers and loved them all, well except for the '85 4x4, the 2.8 and 4AOD, it lacked speed, even going down hill :) Personally I would love to see the Ranchero return, give me a MKZ 2 door with all wheel drive and the 2.7L EB with a pickup bed.

CAFE-everything is getting bigger so its easier to meet requirements.

If the size of full sized pickups was such an issue, why do people have no problems driving around /buying ginormous Super Crew cab configurations?

The price of full sized Pickups is why the medium range market can exist now- A Ranger will start around $25K and top out at 40K or so-where as the F-150 will start a little more but go up to 60K or higher.

Granted, GM and Toyota stopped building single cabs, but those companies buying them may have ran the numbers and determined they get more resale value out of the ext/crew cab justifying the higher up front cost. Therefore they stopped buying them which subsequently reduced demand.

The only reason people buy regular cabs is because they’re typically cheaper.

That and if they don't need the extra space why pay extra for it. Personally, I don't need the extra space very often but when I do I'm glad I paid for it when I bought my Sport Trac (I had two Ranger supercabs before that). I just never need the extra space of a full-size and if most truck buyers were honest they'd say the same thing.

akirby...its not like price is one of the boxes buyers actually check right?......a single cab/ chassis would be a cheap experiment....we sell PLENTY of regular cab f150s....why not the Ranger?.....and for those stating the 1 1/2 and 4 door are the new standard trucks, you're basically saying Ford should/ could kill regular cab F150s and Superduties right?....because apparently theres no market right?....the major reason the Supercab and Crewcab market is as strong is fundamentally due to the fact those cab configurations are bought by retail consumers that utilize the truck as a daily driver....Company vehicles and true fleet are used differently...purely for work purposes.....and if anyone doesnt think the Fleet/ business market isn't big enough , you need to get out more...Fords the market leader which is why I'm scratching my head on this one...opportunity ( at least for now ) lost.

• Like 1

Assuming the same ratio of regular cabs to others, the lower volume of Ranger sales (~100K vs. 900K) means the actual volume of regular cabs would be much much smaller.

It’s not that they CAN’T do it, it’s more a matter of is it worth the effort? How many of those folks who WANT a regular cab would walk away rather than just getting a supercab? If they walk away - where are they going to go?

akirby......used, because the prices of anything new with an 7-8foot bed are too much for the people targeted. First thing I would do ( if theres no chassis ) remove the bed add a small stakebed with tubular tool holders and market a small landscaping truck under $27k...now try that with an F150 or 250...I think theres more of a market for a std cab than you think....BUT, I will give you this, I BET Ford analysed global sales on such a unit so we shall see...I just see potential, especially given that its empty, but even prior to that the Toyotas and the like that were in that segment , were overly lightweight for what Ive described. I STILL see the older Toyotas with dual rear wheels running around...