Sad day for my Flex :(

Like everyone else said, glad you're okay. I know exactly what happened to you, same thing almost happened to me once, and I saw it almost happen to another person (Pizza delivery driver, so i get around) Driving is fun but you have to be really careful about other drivers. In one day I swear to god, I was almost hit by three different people trying to turn into my lane while I was in their blind spot.

Glad your baby is back and all fixed up! On the bright side, it could always have been worse.

236868789-4.jpg

Edited by probowler

Like everyone else said, glad you're okay. I know exactly what happened to you, same thing almost happened to me once, and I saw it almost happen to another person (Pizza delivery driver, so i get around) Driving is fun but you have to be really careful about other drivers. In one day I swear to god, I was almost hit by three different people trying to turn into my lane while I was in their blind spot.

Glad your baby is back and all fixed up! On the bright side, it could always have been worse.

236868789-4.jpg

Haha, my family and I just watched that tonight. Its a great Flex commercial.

The Flex is another Ford product that wasnt managed well with no effort by Ford to advertise it. Everyone I know who has one loves it. Just another nice vehicle left to rot on the vine. Such a shame.

I would consider another one, but as much as I love mine, I have a hard time justifying another one when it's basically the same vehicle as the one I have now inside and out. I've always liked the new front end, but the rest has gotten nothing. The interior has been cheapened out (all models have black air vent flaps, even tan interiors, the areas around the window switches are now black or tan instead of the silver it used to be, etc. etc.). Though, crazy enough a loaded Edge and Flex cost about the same.

That said, if I got a new one, I'd get blue with the Titanium upgrade package with the black/gray interior (different than my current tan), and it'd have the black accents on the exterior and black roof. The one thing I HATE about the current titanium package is they kept the standard taillights - the old Titaniums (when it was a trim level to itself) used blacked out taillights and looked fantastic with the black liftgate panel. Now the taillights stick out like a sore thumb.

04-2011-ford-flex-titanium.jpg

new-2018-ford-flex-limitedecoboostawd-60

This is what I would get:

2018-Ford-Flex-Review.jpg

----

I had an Edge rental while my car was being repaired and liked it. So an Edge ST and Bronco are on the short list for a replacement. And then there's always that Mustang too.......

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2

I agree RMC. I see no reason to buy a new Flex that is nearly identical as ours that is 9 years old. We love it, but without any updated technology or refreshed engines while every other vehicle gets upgraded, it'd be silly to pay the new asking price for one. And, since our kids are all out of car seats and we don't need quite as much space, an Edge may be up next.

• Like 1

I agree RMC. I see no reason to buy a new Flex that is nearly identical as ours that is 9 years old. We love it, but without any updated technology or refreshed engines while every other vehicle gets upgraded, it'd be silly to pay the new asking price for one. And, since our kids are all out of car seats and we don't need quite as much space, an Edge may be up next.

Yeah, I don't really need the space 90% of the time - it's great to have it when I do need it, but with it just being me in the car most of the time, an Edge would do just fine.

Don't get me wrong - I still think they look great, but like you said, it's basically identical to the 9-year old one I have, so I can't pull the trigger. To be fair, the existing powertrain would be an upgrade for me (I'd get the 3.5EB, whereas mine has the NA3.5 that was the only option at the time, so it has that going for it,

Beyond that, the only other upgrades would be:

-A/C seats, which here in Florida I'd love and never understood why my mom's '04 Expy had them, but an '09 model didn't

-blind spot monitor

-Parallel park assist (and EPAS), which I can do just fine myself, but wouldn't complain if I had it even if I didn't use it much

-powerfold 3rd row, which is a take it or leave it for me, as I usually have the cargo area filled and have to move stuff to fold them flat anyway.

-updated gauge cluster w/ dual screens

-SYNC3

Those are all nice additional features, but not enough to push me over the edge (pun intended) to look into a new one that shares the same design everywhere, and the same '09-era material quality (which was great for its time, and looked like a luxury car then) that everyone has moved well forward of now.

I will say, the interior has aged well because it was so far ahead of everything else at the time. Compared to the Explorer we drove just before the Flex, there was no comparison...the Flex was miles ahead.

That would've been the BOF Explorer right?

Oh absolutely, it was fantastic then and is still great now, don't get me wrong, but the industry has caught up and moved past it. Materials were definitely far superior to anything else in the Ford lineup at the time, which was mostly hard plastics, especially in the Edge (first gen) that I considered then too. I'm glad I went with the Flex over that Edge - the Edge was nice, but it would've been the "previous gen" technology compared to Flex. That Edge had all the old switchgear and the ancient original Ford nav system setup, which was before SYNC was coming around.

That would've been the BOF Explorer right?

Oh absolutely, it was fantastic then and is still great now, don't get me wrong, but the industry has caught up and moved past it. Materials were definitely far superior to anything else in the Ford lineup at the time, which was mostly hard plastics, especially in the Edge (first gen) that I considered then too. I'm glad I went with the Flex over that Edge - the Edge was nice, but it would've been the "previous gen" technology compared to Flex. That Edge had all the old switchgear and the ancient original Ford nav system setup, which was before SYNC was coming around.

Yep, that was the BOF Explorer. We always called my '08 F250 a clunker because the interior was so far behind the Flex. Now the Flex looks dated (though still extremely nice) next to my 2017 F350. And yeah, cooled seats, a heated steering wheel, and remote start are very nice and missed in the Flex. We now use the truck for most family trips instead of the Flex.

Just when you think Ford would have understood not to let a product rot in the vine, they continue to carry that nasty habit moving forward. It's a shame because all those who have a Flex, love it. But they too can't find reason to replace it with a new one...Some were new to the brand and I doubt will stay.

"Cheapened"... I had a presentation done in one of my boards recently and they used "Value engineering" for a project we commissioned. I was personally disgusted at that "label"...so throughout my comments and questions I used creative wording... "Tackify", "Poverty stricken", "value whored", "Hyundai-fied", to get my point across. Audience loved it though...something tells me "Value engineering" will no longer be used in our board meetings... :whistling:

• Like 1

Just when you think Ford would have understood not to let a product rot in the vine, they continue to carry that nasty habit moving forward. It's a shame because all those who have a Flex, love it. But they too can't find reason to replace it with a new one...Some were new to the brand and I doubt will stay.

"Cheapened"... I had a presentation done in one of my boards recently and they used "Value engineering" for a project we commissioned. I was personally disgusted at that "label"...so throughout my comments and questions I used creative wording... "Tackify", "Poverty stricken", "value whored", "Hyundai-fied", to get my point across. Audience loved it though...something tells me "Value engineering" will no longer be used in our board meetings... :whistling:

as it relates to the Flex, my personal theory is that its existence in the first place was to test the market to see if the new unibody Explorer would fly. It sold enough to justify the investment in the D4 Explorer.

I had a 2011 Taurus SEL for work, which I drove for 100k miles and was a great car. I temporarily drove a 2015 SEL and it was clear that value engineering had taken place. I was actually taken aback by how cheap the dash and center stack had gotten. it was quite disappointing.

I had a 2011 Taurus SEL for work, which I drove for 100k miles and was a great car. I temporarily drove a 2015 SEL and it was clear that value engineering had taken place. I was actually taken aback by how cheap the dash and center stack had gotten. it was quite disappointing.

The Fusion is the same way. Big difference between my Dads 2014 and his brothers 2017.

The Fusion is the same way. Big difference between my Dads 2014 and his brothers 2017.

Never been in a 2014, but had 2016 and 2017 loaners back to back for a week each (the 16 hit max mileage) and the 17 was a more significant improvement over the 16 than I expected. (Though I hated the rotoshifter)

as it relates to the Flex, my personal theory is that its existence in the first place was to test the market to see if the new unibody Explorer would fly. It sold enough to justify the investment in the D4 Explorer.

Eh, I think it was more Ford trying to throw darts at the wall and make something from D3 work. Think about it - what had been on it previously were the 2005-07 Five Hundred/Montego (which morphed into 2008-9 Taurus/Sable under Mulally) and the 05-07 Freestyle (08 Taurus X), all of which didn't do well. Flex, they expected to sell more, and while it didn't, it did reach a market Ford doesn't usually reach. MKS also joined Flex for 2009, while MKT and Taurus were added for 2010, and finally Explorer for 2011, which finally gave life to the platform.

Never been in a 2014, but had 2016 and 2017 loaners back to back for a week each (the 16 hit max mileage) and the 17 was a more significant improvement over the 16 than I expected. (Though I hated the rotoshifter)

We know lol.

• Like 1

I agree RMC. I see no reason to buy a new Flex that is nearly identical as ours that is 9 years old. We love it, but without any updated technology or refreshed engines while every other vehicle gets upgraded, it'd be silly to pay the new asking price for one.

What are you considering updated technology?

Eh, I think it was more Ford trying to throw darts at the wall and make something from D3 work. Think about it - what had been on it previously were the 2005-07 Five Hundred/Montego (which morphed into 2008-9 Taurus/Sable under Mulally) and the 05-07 Freestyle (08 Taurus X), all of which didn't do well. Flex, they expected to sell more, and while it didn't, it did reach a market Ford doesn't usually reach. MKS also joined Flex for 2009, while MKT and Taurus were added for 2010, and finally Explorer for 2011, which finally gave life to the platform...

I wonder IF the Explorer had never made the D3/4 profitable,

IF Fomoco could've gotten a cD6 going sooner?

OR ... ? hmmz.png

What are you considering updated technology?

• Adaptive cruise
  • Lane keep assist
  • 360 camera
  • Auto headlights
  • LED headlights
  • Improved engine that has been updated more recently than 9 years ago
  • EcoBoost other than the unchanged 8 year old 3.5L

Those are things that I have come to love in my PICKUP, and it's sad they aren't available on a pseudo-luxury family hauler.