2019 Ford Focus Spied Camo-free during Photo Shoot

Nope, I was saying the first gen did.

And, let's not pretend the 3rd gen Expy (2007-2017) wasn't just a lightly modified F-150 ('04-08) dash too.

(snip)

I won't pretend that the Expe and F150 dash you mention were far from the same thing. Very little swapped over. I worked in one of Fords old interior parts plants for many years, I know Ford IP's very well. Did it share some of the design DNA? Sure. Far from a carbon copy though.

I won't pretend that the Expe and F150 dash you mention were far from the same thing. Very little swapped over. I worked in one of Fords old interior parts plants for many years, I know Ford IP's very well. Did it share some of the design DNA? Sure. Far from a carbon copy though.

This is what I expect for the Ranger and Bronco.

Oh, I got your point, but you biffed it by using a car with a tell...

...in both pics...

Uh....no, you didn't...point is, your average Focus buyer will not care where it is built and whether it is built in Romania, Spain, Germany or China will not be a concern for them because it is the same car with the same build quality.

A different dash by all means but maybe the IP is not so different to US Ranger. While the Ranger may be a reconfigured global vehicle,

the Bronco will be heavily influenced by US regional preferences. Instead of Everest, the US is getting it own unique top hat.

I still think youre misunderstanding what Im trying to say.

Think of it like the Focus and C-Max IPs

Now as a twist compare a Cmax IP to a Escape IP. Now that is more of a carbon copy than Expedition to F150 of prior years all damn day.

2014-Ford-Escape-interior.jpg

Ford-C-Max-interior.jpg

Edited by wildosvt
  • Like 1

Any idea yet what sort of wheelbase increase we can expect, are we lookin at a small increase

of about an inch or could we expect more so that Ford can fill the large compact - small mid sized car segments?

Just a hunch... but I'm going with 2,700mm... don't ask me why, I just have a good feeling about that number :future:

Wheelbase comparison:

Mk3 Focus: 2,648 mm or 104.3"

VW Jetta: 2,685 mm or 105.7"

Buick Verano (Opel Astra sedan too): 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Chevy Cruze: 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Honda Civic: 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Mazda 3: 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Nissan Sentra: 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Hyundai Elantra: 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Kia Forte: 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Toyota Corolla (sedan): 2,700 mm or 106.3"

Renault Megane (sedan) Sedan: 2,711 mm or 106.7"

Peugeot 408: 2,730mm or 107.5"

So at the very minimum, there will be a 2" stretch just to keep up with the current generation of ALL of the competitors.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

239130d1511205590-next-generation-2019-f

If it ends up looking like this it will be a lot easier for me to overlook it for being made in China. If the ST pictures turn out not to be fake it will be harder to dismiss for being built in China. I'm not sure how I feel about buying a car that is largely identified as being built in China even if the car I bought was not made in China. Something about this one looks very Kia ish or sort of like one of those anime insects

Edited by Fordowner

If it ends up looking like this it will be a lot easier for me to overlook it for being made in China. If the ST pictures turn out not to be fake I will be harder to dismiss for being built in China. I'm not sure how I feel about buying a car that is largely identified as being built in China even if the car I bought was not made in China. Something about this one looks very Kia ish or sort of like one of those anime insects

LOL, so even if it's not made in China, because some of them are made in China, you won't buy one?

• Like 1

If it ends up looking like this it will be a lot easier for me to overlook it for being made in China. If the ST pictures turn out not to be fake it will be harder to dismiss for being built in China. I'm not sure how I feel about buying a car that is largely identified as being built in China even if the car I bought was not made in China. Something about this one looks very Kia ish or sort of like one of those anime insects

STs probably wont be built in China. Theyre probably going to come from Germany.

LOL, so even if it's not made in China, because some of them are made in China, you won't buy one?

Uh yea, because if its just the high end editions being built in Europe, that means the majority of the Focus' in the U.S. will be built in China and that likely will be the narrative in the press. So if this offshoring to China experiment by Ford is successful it likely will continue and I'd prefer not to support that.

I question sourcing the car based on its value - if the general public comes to recognize that there are 2 different Foci, Chinese and European (which I doubt) it will only make the cheaper Foci look like a cheap knock off.

Good grief - the ONLY reason they’re sourcing them from China is that Ranger is going to MAP and they have no place in North America to build the damn things for the next couple of years. They’ve already said it’s more expensive but they don’t have a good alternative.

look at smartphone business! Most are developed and manufactured in China. And they're devices appreciated by the millennium generation. The audience of Focus is not of people who cling to the past

Manufactured in China, maybe, but the two big smartphone players (Apple and Samsung) develop their phones in the US and South Korea, respectively (and Samsung makes their phones in Korea, too).

we know that where billions of dollars for the mexican factories, but it was cancelled, causing great damage. That would be where the Focus 4 would establish its production for North America. I believe that in order to compensate the injury, Ford opted for China and to cut costs by eliminating Fusion in western markets

Edited by RadicalX