Lincoln Aviator concept at NYIAS to be shown 3-28-18

Also interesting to note - we may be seeing the production one, and not a concept after all. Or it'll be a VERY thinly "conceptized" production model.

Some of the detailing (namely the badge) looked production-like in the video.

theoretically I could have shown you all much more than that 6 months ago but I value my job (as well as my source)

Wonder if you'd be able to privately send those after it debuts? I'd just be interested to see what you saw.

Aviator based on CD6 platform?...

Yup. The presentation confirmed a RWD unibody platform.

Also interesting to note - we may be seeing the production one, and not a concept after all. Or it'll be a VERY thinly "conceptized" production model.

Some of the detailing (namely the badge) looked production-like in the video.

To follow up, Lincoln itself is called in the Lincoln Aviator Preview, and not a concept like they did with Conti and Navi.

So would it be outrageous for someone to think it will come with a plug in hybrid?

I know nothing of powertrains being considered, only what it looks like

That said based on todays release and what theyve said in the past, I think at the very least its safe to expect a hybrid option.

Wonder if you'd be able to privately send those after it debuts? I'd just be interested to see what you saw.

I would rather not seeing as theyre CAD drawings. Sorry.

Show off! That's worse than driving a fancy Porsche around to show up the neighbors.

Im not wealthy by any means so I have to flaunt something to keep up with you high rollers
  • Like 2

So would it be outrageous for someone to think it will come with a plug in hybrid?

Explorer will definitely be hybridized (not sure if that's regular or plug in or both), so Aviator would have to be too.

I would rather not seeing as theyre CAD drawings. Sorry.

Im not wealthy by any means so I have to flaunt something to keep up with you high rollers

No worries! I thought you had meant drawings like artist sketches, not actual CAD drawings. I understand completely!

They touched on that today. Down to the 5 architectures.

FWD passenger unibody

RWD passenger unibody

commercial van unibody

BOF

Electric

I'm sure the electic car shares a lot with the universal uni-body. Unless they are going the Telsa route and having the battery as part of the "frame" of the car.

I'm sure the electic car shares a lot with the universal uni-body. Unless they are going the Telsa route and having the battery as part of the "frame" of the car.

They have to integrate the batteries into the frame of the vehicle - otherwise you take away too much passenger or cargo room. But the new C platform will already have some of that capability to support the PHEVs. So I'm sure they share a lot.

Ford referring to their platforms as architectures is mostly semantics, they are not flexible platforms in the same sense as the new ones we see from VW, Toyota, and MB. Ford has been openly skeptical of the flexible platform strategy so this appears to be mostly a tweaking of the traditional shared platform strategy. Each platform is specifically engineered and locked down to their specific vehicle application but can be more cheaply modified for related products. This doesn't mean we have one platform that scales affordably to everything under the sun.

Edited by Assimilator

Ford referring to their platforms as architectures is mostly semantics, they are not flexible platforms in the same sense as the new ones we see from VW, Toyota, and MB. Ford has been openly skeptical of the flexible platform strategy so this appears to be mostly a tweaking of the traditional shared platform strategy. Each platform is specifically engineered and locked down to their specific vehicle application but can be more cheaply modified for related products. This doesn't mean we have one platform that scales affordably to everything under the sun.

Oh boy I have you mute you already?

• Like 1