Ford Dealership Service Departments

Are You Satisfied with Your Ford Dealer Service Experience  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Satisfied with Your Ford Dealer SERVICE Experience?

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Neutral
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very Dissatisfied

Most tire stores and dealerships use torque sticks. They attach to the impact and twist at 80 or 100 ft lbs etc. its super common. Ive checked them and ofcourse hand torque is preferred. However, Ive found them to be close to the range. I would say they are acceptable but depends on the power of the impact and other variables. Its a time saver, this is where the flat rate system causes skipped steps.

Edited by fordtech1

akirby...based on my experience its the dealer that gets the brunt of the blame NOT Ford at all..yes theres shoddy Dealer service departments, but I can assure you, if you knew some of the hoops and restrictions placed on them BY FORD...you would absolutely cringe and question the logic...that said theres absolutely NO excuse for overtightening lug nuts...or the classic...over filling the vehicle with oil....

akirby...based on my experience its the dealer that gets the brunt of the blame NOT Ford at all..yes theres shoddy Dealer service departments, but I can assure you, if you knew some of the hoops and restrictions placed on them BY FORD...you would absolutely cringe and question the logic...that said theres absolutely NO excuse for overtightening lug nuts...or the classic...over filling the vehicle with oil....

I'm not complaining at all about warranty work itself - I understand that issue. I'm talking about leaving vehicles dirty, not putting things back on, etc. Or what actually happened to me where they kept our Escape for 2 weeks to replace the moonroof motor and replace the 5 way audio system button on the steering wheel because it was not working correctly. I get it back and not only did they put the wrong button on it (from a totally different vehicle) - as soon as I tried it on the way home it still didn't work. That is inexcusable. I complained to the owner who sent out a driver to pick it up, left a rental car, fixed it and sent it back.

I've been buying vehicles from them for a long time because the salesman knows me and it's just a matter of me telling him what I want and he gets it. But I did not buy our last 2 vehicles there. There were a couple of other smaller incidents that just left a bad taste in my mouth.

As for people blaming Ford - yes they blame the dealer but when they go online to complain about it all they say is "Ford did this" or "Ford didn't do that" or "Ford said this" when it's actually just the dealer - and often times they want Ford to do something about it. I see it on almost a weekly basis on some forum. So much I've gotten tired of trying to explain that the dealer is an independent business.

actually not entirely independent...Ford has leverage. And a lot of complaints ( aside from just out and out bad mechanics ) are aimed at the time taken for a repair....and that's a reflection on parts availability....think there were any complaints about the Transit couplers that were on national backhold...or the diesel fuel pumps that took months....or the driveshaft that's 6 months back ordered?....or , a moonroof motor....that's not the dealers fault...I BET that part took a while to obtain...

Edited by Deanh

actually not entirely independent...Ford has leverage. And a lot of complaints ( aside from just out and out bad mechanics ) are aimed at the time taken for a repair....and that's a reflection on parts availability....think there were any complaints about the Transit couplers that were on national backhold...or the diesel fuel pumps that took months....or the driveshaft that's 6 months back ordered?....

Once again you're missing the point.

I'm not complaining at all about warranty work itself - I understand that issue. I'm talking about leaving vehicles dirty, not putting things back on, etc. Or what actually happened to me where they kept our Escape for 2 weeks to replace the moonroof motor and replace the 5 way audio system button on the steering wheel because it was not working correctly. I get it back and not only did they put the wrong button on it (from a totally different vehicle) - as soon as I tried it on the way home it still didn't work. That is inexcusable. I complained to the owner who sent out a driver to pick it up, left a rental car, fixed it and sent it back.

I've been buying vehicles from them for a long time because the salesman knows me and it's just a matter of me telling him what I want and he gets it. But I did not buy our last 2 vehicles there. There were a couple of other smaller incidents that just left a bad taste in my mouth.

I took my 2018 Mustang in for a couple warranty things (wires sticking out from the rear seats and the rims had black spots UNDER the clearcoat). I get it back, they put 2015-2017 wheels (pre refresh, so a completely different wheel) on it......

now, I happened to like those wheels better, so I didn't put up a stink haha.

I took my 2018 Mustang in for a couple warranty things (wires sticking out from the rear seats and the rims had black spots UNDER the clearcoat). I get it back, they put 2015-2017 wheels (pre refresh, so a completely different wheel) on it......

now, I happened to like those wheels better, so I didn't put up a stink haha.

Wow, that's pretty crazy to have completely different wheels put on.

There is no excuse for giving a car back to a customer dirty or damaged or for not testing to make sure the problem you fixed is actually fixed. There are always some extenuating circumstances but there are too many dealers out there who just don't care.

If the customer service program based on surveys is like the one for new car sales where anything less than a perfect score is a fail then that would explain some of that behavior. If I know I can't attain perfection then why try at all? The penalty is the same whether I screw up once or 50 times. That and warranty rates are something Ford does control.

• Like 1

sidbar... the lug wrenches supplied with the car are worse than the lug nuts....I had a flatin the ST...managed to loosen two nuts, rounded out the other two...1 hour wait in pitch darkness for AAA. Next day ordered Gorillas....problem solved.

I am a very laid back dude, but nothing cheeses me off faster than people that treat my stuff with little respect.

Let's look at it from another angle:

• If you were at a restaurant and bought a steak and it came out burnt, would you just eat it or send it back?
  • If your internet you use for work went down out for a week, would you be ok with that?
  • If you brought your shiny new iPhone into the Apple store to get fixed, and they gave it back you without the case you had purchased for it, would you shrug it off?
  • If someone came to your house to fix your air conditioner and left all their trash and dirty rags on your floor when they left....would you be ok with that?
  • If you had to clean up after your landscapers because they constantly left piles of grass clippings all over your driveway, would you still use them?

Lemme answer that. No, you wouldn't. Not only that, you'd be pissed.

A dealership service department is part of the SERVICE industry. You should not have to expect crappy behavior for the second most expensive thing you buy in life, (especially at the prices you pay for the vehicle AND the service).

Wanna make me a happy customer? It is super easy. Please do the job I'm paying to have done and give me my car back in the condition you got it (which in my case, is clean).

I think that is my biggest rant I've made in the 17 years I've been on this site. :headspin:

• Like 8

Ford has been using crappy lug nuts for years. They were problems on the Lincoln LS and they've even been problems on the F-150 (they might've put better ones on the current generation, but they're probably the most widespread forum complaint after "Sync won't listen to me anymore" on the '09-'14 generation). I actually bought a set of Gorilla lug nuts for my truck because the factory units are so bad.

Ford has been using crappy lug nuts for years. They were problems on the Lincoln LS and they've even been problems on the F-150 (they might've put better ones on the current generation, but they're probably the most widespread forum complaint after "Sync won't listen to me anymore" on the '09-'14 generation). I actually bought a set of Gorilla lug nuts for my truck because the factory units are so bad.

Damn it! I am wondering if my Fusion has these. If so, I will probably go the Gorilla lug nut route as well.

@akirby...wrong...its a mixture...sloppy workmanship is the individuals fault....cutting corners or not being authorized to repair an issue, along with parts delays are Fords...but fact is the Dealerships ARE the sounding boards for complaints, issue I have is sometimes the crux of the complaint is deeper than is on the surface.....

@akirby...wrong...its a mixture...sloppy workmanship is the individuals fault....cutting corners or not being authorized to repair an issue, along with parts delays are Fords...but fact is the Dealerships ARE the sounding boards for complaints, issue I have is sometimes the crux of the complaint is deeper than is on the surface.....

Like I said you missed the point. Giving a car back dirty or without testing the repair you just completed is 100% on the dealership and not just on the tech - the service process should make sure stuff like that doesn't happen. And that has nothing to do with Ford.