Jump to content

The Ford Order Tracking System Is No Longer Available.  THANKS Cyberdman For Making Available All Of These Past Years.  More Here.

rmc523

Rivian Amazon EV Delivery Van Shown

Recommended Posts

Is ford building these or is this an all rivian product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Is ford building these or is this an all rivian product?


Rivian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long wheel base is long 

 

Also, the lack of dual rear wheels means this is optimized for Amazon's light duty use. It will be interesting to see if Rivian can sell this van to someone else or if Amazon has some sort of exclusive right to use the van.

 

The real question... how does this compare to the Transit EV, especially on total life cycle cost.

 

edit: also, I think this is really what the USPS LLV program should have spec'd. Instead of sticking with ICE, they should have gone electric (on a smaller scale van).

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, bzcat said:

 I think this is really what the USPS LLV program should have spec'd. Instead of sticking with ICE, they should have gone electric (on a smaller scale van).

I think the issue is cost and then upgrades to the posts offices to have them charge overnight. Other issue could be distance factors in say the mid west or Alaska, where impact of battery range would be most felt 
 

I see FedEx or UPS using electric first, since they are a bit more flexible and can put in areas where they can see improvements with it before rolling it out to areas that it would t work as well in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In time for the Christmas season in 2022, Amazon expects to have several thousand Rivian vans in operation across about 100 cities/metro areas in the U.S by the end of 2022. 1000 Rivian Electric Vans Are Out Delivering for Amazon across the U.S. (caranddriver.com)

 

amazon-edv6-1667833879.jpg

Edited by rperez817

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve had the Rivian vans by us for months now. They look sharp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivian Amazon van and Brightdrop FedEx vans are both familiar sights now in my neighborhood. I've also seen a few Transit EV as well. 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of that styling, in particular the covered rear wheel.  It looks ridiculous IMO.  I thought we were past  hybrid/electric vehicles looking like clown cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tbone said:

Not a fan of that styling, in particular the covered rear wheel.  It looks ridiculous IMO.  I thought we were past  hybrid/electric vehicles looking like clown cars. 


It’s a pretty standard looking van just with a more forward cabin without an engine up there...far from a “clown car” just because it has covered wheel wells.  Only so many ways to design a box.

Edited by rmc523

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, bzcat said:

Rivian Amazon van and Brightdrop FedEx vans are both familiar sights now in my neighborhood. I've also seen a few Transit EV as well. 


Haven’t seen a Brightdrop yet. Have been curious if they’d strike a deal with an RV manufacturer.  Would make a cool rv. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rmc523 said:


It’s a pretty standard looking van just with a more forward cabin without an engine up there...far from a “clown car” just because it has covered wheel wells.  Only so many ways to design a box.

I don’t disagree on design options for boxes, but they can start by not covering the wheels. It didn’t look good on Caddie Coup Devilles and it doesn’t look good now IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 9:35 PM, akirby said:

Rivian

 

These aren't the ones being built by TDM (Troy Design & Mfg., a fully-owned Ford subsidiary) in Plymouth, MI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, balthisar said:

 

These aren't the ones being built by TDM (Troy Design & Mfg., a fully-owned Ford subsidiary) in Plymouth, MI?

 

Rivian has a plant in Normal, Illinois, where they are said to build R1T, R1S, and the Amazon vans.  Formerly Mitsubishi.

 

https://stories.rivian.com/vehicle-plant-tour-normal-illinois

 

https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2022-10-04/vehicle-production-accelerates-at-rivian-plant-in-normal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a transport truck full of these stopped on the shoulder of I-80 in Iowa over Thanksgiving weekend.  First time I've seen them in person...they haven't yet hit any neighborhoods around us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×