Wow! Really???

Just when you think that they might finally be starting to get a hold on QC, Friday Ford issued a service message about "contamination" of the washer solvent bottles with brake fluid on the 20 Explorer/PIU/Aviator. No build dates included in the message, but brake fluid and paint are a bad combination. 

4 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Just when you think that they might finally be starting to get a hold on QC, Friday Ford issued a service message about "contamination" of the washer solvent bottles with brake fluid on the 20 Explorer/PIU/Aviator. No build dates included in the message, but brake fluid and paint are a bad combination. 

Now just hold on a second because in the Explorer PI Hybrid an article from the Chicago sun times was linked and a person was quoted as saying:

"After quality issues last year and a two-month shutdown due to the coronavirus, the company reports its local operations are running 24 hours a day to meet demand.

“We’re really proud of the vehicles we are building in Chicago,” Savona said. “The quality by all available measures has been terrific.”

Perhaps they need to reassess.  Acknowledging problems is not a bad thing although I’m very surprised Ford hasn’t come into Chicago with an iron fist and started fixing all the issues.  They need to be aggressive and swift.  I think a lot of higher ups at that plant need to be fired (or be fired a year ago).  

28 minutes ago, FR739 said:

Now just hold on a second because in the Explorer PI Hybrid an article from the Chicago sun times was linked and a person was quoted as saying:

"After quality issues last year and a two-month shutdown due to the coronavirus, the company reports its local operations are running 24 hours a day to meet demand.

“We’re really proud of the vehicles we are building in Chicago,” Savona said. “The quality by all available measures has been terrific.”

Perhaps they need to reassess.  Acknowledging problems is not a bad thing although I’m very surprised Ford hasn’t come into Chicago with an iron fist and started fixing all the issues.  They need to be aggressive and swift.  I think a lot of higher ups at that plant need to be fired (or be fired a year ago).  

They already replaced the plant manager.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Some dope could have hooked up the wrong fill machine to the washer bottle on the line. Doubtful but plausible. 

Sounds logical.  Or for sure I would believe a plant the size of CAP has bulk systems and both products are received in bulk via tank truck.  If so you would think think QC procedures would require after delivery checks on bulk tanks.

Someone has suggested sabotage.  Certainly possible too.  Once again, in all cases -ex sabotage- could procedure should preclude this sort of problem.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Sounds logical.  Or for sure I would believe a plant the size of CAP has bulk systems and both products are received in bulk via tank truck.  If so you would think think QC procedures would require after delivery checks on bulk tanks.

Someone has suggested sabotage.  Certainly possible too.  Once again, in all cases -ex sabotage- could procedure should preclude this sort of problem.

the more I think about it the less I think that was the case. The brake fill system is a vacuum fill, just like the radiator and air conditioning. No way a washer fluid reservoir would hold a vacuum. If it fails the vacuum test it won't start the fill process. Maybe we're  reading too much into this and it was simply accidental contamination somehow. It doesn't sound like sabotage to me. 

• Like 1

OT: A couple years ago the attendant at the gas dock on our lake told us about the brand new pontoon boat ahead of us that got tired of waiting for the attendant and decided to fill up themselves. They put ten gallons into the potable water tank (ruining it) before the attendant stopped them. That was an expensive mistake. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

the more I think about it the less I think that was the case. The brake fill system is a vacuum fill, just like the radiator and air conditioning. No way a washer fluid reservoir would hold a vacuum. If it fails the vacuum test it won't start the fill process. Maybe we're  reading too much into this and it was simply accidental contamination somehow. It doesn't sound like sabotage to me. 

I thought you were inferring the contamination occurred in the bulk tank that feeds the line.  There was nothing wrong with the fill process/machinery-the contamination occurred  in the supply tank-somehow brakefluid got into the washer supply bulk system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I thought you were inferring the contamination occurred in the bulk tank that feeds the line.  There was nothing wrong with the fill process/machinery-the contamination occurred  in the supply tank-somehow brakefluid got into the washer supply bulk system.

Is that so? I must have missed that. I got nothing then.