Jump to content





Lavien

2022 Ford Maverick Pickup thread

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, T-dubz said:


Here’s a good video TFL did with the Mavericks Engineer Manager. At the 9 min mark he states it can’t run on battery alone. There’s also a lot of other good info in it too.

 

...I guess the embargo of TFL is over at Ford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy, the trim with the tow hooks looks so much better than the ones with the bumper pods on the lesser versions. 

 

Are driving lights not available on any version?

 

1044742359_ScreenShot2021-06-10at8_27_15AM.png.38314aad7667d77a1078c4f1ce1b6727.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twintornados said:

 

...I guess the embargo of TFL is over at Ford.


There was never an embargo per se they just quit loaning them certain pre production vehicles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this has yet been covered (or maybe I missed it):

 

There seems to be some sneaky decontenting going on here. SYNC 3 is optional and only available via the Lariat Luxury Package, yet every trim includes the 8" touchscreen. Ford's Maverick microsite (and associated marketing materials) do a non-existent job of delineating the difference between these infotainment setups. I browsed other vehicles on Ford's site and—across the board—all the other vehicles with the 8" touchscreen have SYNC 3. All the vehicles running smaller screens utilize the more basic "productivity screen" interface

 

So...just what is this 8" non-SYNC infotainment system? Obviously it's lacking SYNC 3 features such as voice control...or is it? Original SYNC/SYNC 2 was deprecated 5+ years ago when the Microsoft system was canned in favor of the QNX-based system that comprises SYNC 3. Seems ass backwards in 2021/2022 to offer CarPlay/Android Auto capability without the ability to input commands with Hey Siri or Hey Google. Is this a one-off system running Ford software or is it just neutered SYNC3 software? Inquiring minds, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will probably replace the Escapes & Fusions our salespeople currently use. Between the MPG's, standard CarPlay, and price, it can't be beat.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, beefdaddy said:

I don't think this has yet been covered (or maybe I missed it):

 

There seems to be some sneaky decontenting going on here. SYNC 3 is optional and only available via the Lariat Luxury Package, yet every trim includes the 8" touchscreen. Ford's Maverick microsite (and associated marketing materials) do a non-existent job of delineating the difference between these infotainment setups. I browsed other vehicles on Ford's site and—across the board—all the other vehicles with the 8" touchscreen have SYNC 3. All the vehicles running smaller screens utilize the more basic "productivity screen" interface

 

So...just what is this 8" non-SYNC infotainment system? Obviously it's lacking SYNC 3 features such as voice control...or is it? Original SYNC/SYNC 2 was deprecated 5+ years ago when the Microsoft system was canned in favor of the QNX-based system that comprises SYNC 3. Seems ass backwards in 2021/2022 to offer CarPlay/Android Auto capability without the ability to input commands with Hey Siri or Hey Google. Is this a one-off system running Ford software or is it just neutered SYNC3 software? Inquiring minds, etc. 

 

I would be surprised if that's the case. If it has a touch screen it is 99% going to be Sync 3. There really is no other option. Will there be an optional Sync 3 that maybe opens up the capability (Navigation)? Maybe. If you look a Doug's video (link below), you see he has an XLT and it appears to be Sync 3 (looks basic) and he references it. He says all Mavericks will be equipped with Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beefdaddy said:

I don't think this has yet been covered (or maybe I missed it):

 

There seems to be some sneaky decontenting going on here. SYNC 3 is optional and only available via the Lariat Luxury Package, yet every trim includes the 8" touchscreen. Ford's Maverick microsite (and associated marketing materials) do a non-existent job of delineating the difference between these infotainment setups. I browsed other vehicles on Ford's site and—across the board—all the other vehicles with the 8" touchscreen have SYNC 3. All the vehicles running smaller screens utilize the more basic "productivity screen" interface

 

So...just what is this 8" non-SYNC infotainment system? Obviously it's lacking SYNC 3 features such as voice control...or is it? Original SYNC/SYNC 2 was deprecated 5+ years ago when the Microsoft system was canned in favor of the QNX-based system that comprises SYNC 3. Seems ass backwards in 2021/2022 to offer CarPlay/Android Auto capability without the ability to input commands with Hey Siri or Hey Google. Is this a one-off system running Ford software or is it just neutered SYNC3 software? Inquiring minds, etc. 

In Brazil they downgraded the Sync 3 to a Sync 2.5, as it has been called unofficially, in entry vehicles. It looks very similar to Sync 3 but it loses some features - don't know exactly which ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't Ford handing off infotainment work to Google for its products in the future? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sync 3 optional. On lariat requires the luxury package.  

B9130C94-B4E5-4925-877A-859EEC73D420.jpeg

85A7DEC4-79FB-4A8A-BEC3-887A6593CE29.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Isn't Ford handing off infotainment work to Google for its products in the future? 

 

Unfortunately! Google's software is horrible, especially the Android platform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

 

I would be surprised if that's the case. If it has a touch screen it is 99% going to be Sync 3. There really is no other option. Will there be an optional Sync 3 that maybe opens up the capability (Navigation)? Maybe. If you look a Doug's video (link below), you see he has an XLT and it appears to be Sync 3 (looks basic) and he references it. He says all Mavericks will be equipped with Android Auto/Apple Carplay.

 

 

 

Right? I thought the same thing after watching Daddy Doug's walk-around—the UX/UI is a dead ringer for SYNC 3. My initial thought was that the Lariat package upgrade is to "SYNC 3 WITH NAVIGATION" similar to the packaging/a la cart option available for the Ranger, F-150 and several other vehicles. 

 

1 hour ago, passis said:

In Brazil they downgraded the Sync 3 to a Sync 2.5, as it has been called unofficially, in entry vehicles. It looks very similar to Sync 3 but it loses some features - don't know exactly which ones.

 

Oof. I suspect that this may be the case then, and if so, I really hope it doesn't eliminate voice control. I need to take another look through the videos/real life still images of the XLT to see what buttons are on that steering wheel 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ford drop sync on entry level versions in favor of CarPlay/ AA with the 8” screen and offer connected Navigation only.

 

Come to think of it, with the Ford pass connect now standard they could switch SiriusXM to an app or the user could stream it via CP/AA.

 

Built in nav is just about dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, beefdaddy said:

 

Right? I thought the same thing after watching Daddy Doug's walk-around—the UX/UI is a dead ringer for SYNC 3. My initial thought was that the Lariat package upgrade is to "SYNC 3 WITH NAVIGATION" similar to the packaging/a la cart option available for the Ranger, F-150 and several other vehicles. 

 

 

Oof. I suspect that this may be the case then, and if so, I really hope it doesn't eliminate voice control. I need to take another look through the videos/real life still images of the XLT to see what buttons are on that steering wheel 😛

 

Took another look at Doug's video, and it does appear that the "non-SYNC" XLTs with the XLT Luxury Package DO have voice accessibility if this build combo is to believed. The truck in Doug's video is an XLT Hybrid with the XLT Luxury Package (heated seats, leather wheel, etc) but without the upgraded instrument panel/productivity screen in the IP. 

 

So, it looks like the "standard" 8" infotainment system is a flavor/re-skin of SYNC without nav, SiriusXM, and probably a lower grade processor/SOC and cheaper capacitive touchscreen as there won't be a need for pinch-to-zoom or map-related graphics processing. 

 

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 2.31.59 PM.png

Edited by beefdaddy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, akirby said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ford drop sync on entry level versions in favor of CarPlay/ AA with the 8” screen and offer connected Navigation only.

 

Come to think of it, with the Ford pass connect now standard they could switch SiriusXM to an app or the user could stream it via CP/AA.

 

Built in nav is just about dead.

 

And it appears that the switch to Connected Navigation includes service for only 3 years. Here's another way for Ford to capitalize on the connected services revenue stream. For many it'll be take the 3 years service included and then exit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Come to think of it, with the Ford pass connect now standard they could switch SiriusXM to an app or the user could stream it via CP/AA.


Now that you say that I'm surprised that didn't happen years ago. I wonder if they have a contract with Sirius/XM for the hardware that prevents that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

 

And it appears that the switch to Connected Navigation includes service for only 3 years. Here's another way for Ford to capitalize on the connected services revenue stream. For many it'll be take the 3 years service included and then exit. 


And it costs them the same to offer it to 100 or 2 million.  No additional hardware.  Just back end (hopefully cloud) vms that can auto scale to meet demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


Now that you say that I'm surprised that didn't happen years ago. I wonder if they have a contract with Sirius/XM for the hardware that prevents that. 

 

Honestly, XM/Sirius content is respectable. However, anything other than talk radio is too compressed and sounds like crap. Streaming over internet is slightly better (they have an app) but you lose the out in the middle of nowhere and still get connectivity ability. 

 

I was out in the middle of nowhere WI and totally lost my cell signal recently on Verizon for about 5 miles. It was strange because I can't remember that happening in a long time. Streaming works but if you are in the boonies satellite is best but sounds like crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

 

Honestly, XM/Sirius content is respectable. However, anything other than talk radio is too compressed and sounds like crap. Streaming over internet is slightly better (they have an app) but you lose the out in the middle of nowhere and still get connectivity ability. 


Some of the stations are less compressed.  For us it’s mostly 70s/80s background music so it doesn’t really matter but I switched to a pop channel and all of a sudden the bass was back.  Scared the crap out of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that's why more people opt to use Spotify and/or Pandora or like me just play my own stuff straight from my phone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

And that's why more people opt to use Spotify and/or Pandora or like me just play my own stuff straight from my phone. 

 

But most digital music is compressed in someway LOL

 

I know there is some lossless formats, but they aren't that popular and in the grand scheme of things most people can't tell or don't care for the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

 

But most digital music is compressed in someway LOL

 

I know there is some lossless formats, but they aren't that popular and in the grand scheme of things most people can't tell or don't care for the difference. 


Well yeah of course, but the MP3 on my phone sounds way better than anything on terrestrial or satellite radio as well as Pandora and Spotify, plus I can control the EQ settings more on my phone on top of the car's stereo settings. 
 

Obviously I'm not most people 😂 I did go to school for this after all. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hardly anyone under 40 remembers the 1970-77 Maverick, so will be no association with 1970's cars. To Millennials, the 70's may as well be the 1930's, far far in the past.

Edited by 630land

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 630land said:

Hardly anyone under 40 remembers the 1970-77 Maverick, so will be no association with 1970's cars. To Millennials, the 70's may as well be the 1930's, far far in the past.

 

Lordy, you make me feel old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

 

Lordy, you make me feel old.

 

When 1970 Maverick was new, 1930 was closer in time, then 1970 is to 2021!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×