Sign in to follow this  
IMSA-XJR9

Next Generation Nascar Leaked? (Mustang)

I'm happy to see the change to single-nut wheels, eliminates all those loose lug nuts flying around.

HRG

21 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm happy to see the change to single-nut wheels, eliminates all those loose lug nuts flying around.

HRG

Agreed! I've been fortunate to be on the pitwall (as a guest/spectator) and was/am amazed how the lug nuts get jettisoned after a stop!!

45 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

It also solves the problems of not putting all of the lug nuts on to get a faster pit stop and loose lug nuts.

9 minutes ago, murphy62 said:

It also solves the problems of not putting all of the lug nuts on to get a faster pit stop and loose lug nuts.

But it creates a much bigger penalty if you forget to tighten one lug nut.......

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But it creates a much bigger penalty if you forget to tighten one lug nut.......

The penalty is ultimately the same if the whee falls off with a 1 race suspension for the crew chief. 

I'm torn on it. On one hand it's going to make things better for safety but on the other hand it's taking away what makes NASCAR pit stops so unique and so cool to watch. 

12 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

...on the other hand it's taking away what makes NASCAR pit stops so unique and so cool to watch. 

Agreed, it would seem that NASCAR just doesn't realize the entertainment value of a good pit stop.

I wish each mfg would have a body that looks like the real car (with all safety stuff), but adjust front air dam and wing on back to make aerodynamics about equal.  

2 hours ago, markfnc said:

I wish each mfg would have a body that looks like the real car (with all safety stuff), but adjust front air dam and wing on back to make aerodynamics about equal.  

They do.  It’s called IMSA.

Does anyone have the spec for the rear diff? Looks like the Ford 9" is finally going away?

4 hours ago, twintornados said:

Does anyone have the spec for the rear diff? Looks like the Ford 9" is finally going away?

I haven't seen much in the way of technical specs but they’re moving to IRS with the gearbox in the rear end vs. mounted to the engine. Sequential 6 speed (though I've read they were testing a sequential 5 speed as well). 

8 hours ago, twintornados said:

Agreed, it would seem that NASCAR just doesn't realize the entertainment value of a good pit stop.

I love NASCAR but they've lost their way with a lot of things. I've gotten used to stage racing despite its ultra gimmicky nature but this low power/high downforce thing I still hate with the burning passion of 1000 suns. I'm watching fewer and fewer races where that ridiculous package is involved. 

I think they look better!  Wheels look skinny (to my eye) for being 18x12.  Looking forward to seeing them on the track together.  Little surprised Toyota didn't switch to Supra in Cup series.