The New 6.8L V8 Thread

On 12/23/2021 at 9:24 AM, Stray Kat said:

I respectfully disagree with you on this mainly because I think it’s far more valuable to create a versatile engine that has legs rather than a halo piece that will probably be a fond memory sooner rather than later. 

Ford fanatics have been craving a replacement for the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland for 20 years. Now we have a 445” canted valve V8 with no bottom end disappointments and tons of upside potential. 

I’m a motorsports enthusiast and I’d like to see Godzilla start showing up in Sand Cars and ski boats and maybe a “spec” engine series like the current Trans Am or NASCAR open wheel modified series. 

Great the new Chev LT6 is a fantastic engine. It will be annihilated by electric motors soon after it appears. I’d much rather have what Ford has finally given us as one last big inch ICE workhorse. 

By today's performance standards the 7.3 is mediocre at best. 

While a more than decent truck engine it's simply an also ran in every single respect as performance platform. 

It's just yet another in-line valve (minimally canted to be more accurate), large cube small block with similar displacement capacity as it's crosstown competitors.  Totally mundane...

I've been a Ford fanatic for longer than 20 years and have never once craved a replacement for the 351W.  

The LT6 will be remembered for years after it goes out of production because it broke new ground, the 7.3 will be about as memorable as the Ford 360 once Evan Smith and Brian Wolfe stop sensationalizing the builds.    

Edited by ESP08
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 7:49 AM, ESP08 said:

If only we could have gotten a high performance variation of the Boss architecture.      SMH     

You may still get your wish, both the Boss and Godzilla share a common bore spacing, that point shouldn’t be overlooked…..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ESP08 said:

While a more than decent truck engine it's simply an also ran in every single respect as performance platform. 

That’s like saying a crescent wrench is pretty good at loosening nuts and bolts but it sucks at driving nails.

It was built specifically as a truck engine, so that should be the measuring stick.  Why should Ford care what people do with it outside of that?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

That’s like saying a crescent wrench is pretty good at loosening nuts and bolts but it sucks at driving nails.

It was built specifically as a truck engine, so that should be the measuring stick.  Why should Ford care what people do with it outside of that?

While GM thinks outside the box Ford is the box.

41 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Where is GM’s $500k supercar?

Where is GM’s Bronco, Bronco Sport and Maverick?

Where is GM’s Raptor pickup for the last 10+ years?

Where is GM’s Focus or Fiesta ST or Focus RS?

Ford invests in vehicles not parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

52 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not to mention, gm has yet to produce a compelling, and interesting ev. Ford has the very hot mach-e, and the highly anticipated lightning. GM has what? A 100k truck that 5 people will buy, and the ugly bolts that are burning to the ground constantly.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Z06 Corvette kills the $500K supercar for $100K

Bronco is a nitch vehicle

ZR2 is coming in 22. I'll give you that it's about time. And have you seen that tail gate? Game changer.

Ford doesn't build those for the states anymore

Ford doesn't even build any cars for the states anymore except the Mustang

Edited by coupe3w

Just on that “unremarkable” 7.3, the guys at Harrop Racing have added a supercharger and are get  800 hp on pump gas and close to 1,000 hp on E85…. at 20 psi boost with  E85 and a 102 throttle, it made an astounding 1015hp @ 6200 an 988 lb ft @ 4100……..that’s on an unopened, stock engine.

What was shocking to me was how low that power and torque was being made, all with stock cam and heads

Edited by jpd80

ZR2 is coming in 22. I'll give you that it's about time. And have you seen that tail gate? Game changer.

You know where the GT kills the Corvette?  In Ford’s bank account.  Performance is irrelevant from a business standpoint.

Bronco is nowhere close to a niche vehicle.

Ford built those for the states for several years which is several years more than GM.  And they still build them in Europe.

Building sedans is the definition of “in the box” thinking.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Average U.S. Focus RS buyer was in their 20s with a six figure income, Ford told them to go away. It's nice of Ford to build vehicles for us old people, but we're literally a dying market...

You obviously haven’t seen Maverick or Bronco sport demographics.  Ford sold the Focus RS here for 3 years which is 3 years more than GM’s version.  I don’t think it sold very well when it was here either.

15 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Maverick sells on price. Bronco Sport is just a boxy Escape, unless it undercuts the competition on price I can see little reason to buy it. Due to limited supply we never saw what the Focus RS' sales potential was.

RS owners are still having issues with head gasket sealing, the Euro engine is just different enough to the North American 2.3 to make life difficult.

2 hours ago, coupe3w said:

How is a vehicle projected to sell hundreds of thousands or millions of units niche? Not to mention the maverick is the best new car for under 25k hands down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

RS owners are still having issues with head gasket sealing, the Euro engine is just different enough to the North American 2.3 to make life difficult.

Wasn't the issue with the RS head gaskets resolved after the first few months or so? Plus I believe earlier RS builds were recalled, and given the head gasket they were supposed to have in the first place. So I don't think the head gasket thing is really an issue anymore.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Wasn't the issue with the RS head gaskets resolved after the first few months or so? Plus I believe earlier RS builds were recalled, and given the head gasket they were supposed to have in the first place. So I don't think the head gasket thing is really an issue anymore.

On some of the forums it’s still going on, the shape of the block surface even with the right gaskets is still causing some issues.

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Maverick sells on price. Bronco Sport is just a boxy Escape, unless it undercuts the competition on price I can see little reason to buy it. Due to limited supply we never saw what the Focus RS' sales potential was.

Mavericks are selling for $5k OVER MSRP right now.  And a lot of those are $30k+ trucks.  Bronco Sports are also going over MSRP.  You have no idea what you’re talking about and you’re starting to sound like a troll.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Mavericks are selling for $5k OVER MSRP right now.  And a lot of those are $30k+ trucks.  Bronco Sports are also going over MSRP.  You have no idea what you’re talking about and you’re starting to sound like a troll.

So where does that $5K go? Not to Ford.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

You know where the GT kills the Corvette?  In Ford’s bank account.  Performance is irrelevant from a business standpoint.

Bronco is nowhere close to a niche vehicle.

Ford built those for the states for several years which is several years more than GM.  And they still build them in Europe.

Building sedans is the definition of “in the box” thinking.

Ford doesn't make much of a profit on the GT. It was farmed out to be built.

I have seen 2 Broncos since release.

So what's your point they don't build them anymore.

GM doesn't build many sedans either Malibu is the only true sedan they offer.