The New 6.8L V8 Thread

2 hours ago, Power Kid said:

That was my guess a year+ ago. But I think they may have confirmed the 5.0L since. 

The 760 hp S/C 5.2 Voodoo that’s used in Mustang but the special engine line and the rest of the plant building the 6.2 Boss is scheduled to close at the end of the year, one of our posters here has heard that may be delayed now but we’ll see….,,

5 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

We know that the F-150 Raptor R is getting a V-8. Does anyone know if it was confirmed to be supercharged? Could the 6.8 really be this truck's engine the entire time?

I have been wondering if this is the case for quite some time. It could account for the delay in getting the R to market. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 1:21 PM, 7Mary3 said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 6.8L is direct injection.  The 7.3L heads have bosses in them for DI.  I also expect AFM of some sort if the 6.8L is going in passenger cars and light trucks.  

And that’s why it will probably be limited to high performance packages in Mustang and F150, maybe hybrid in F Series or Mustang?

Guys I’ve mentioned before on here that I thought putting a supercharged engine in a truck like a TRX or some future Raptor R is a real risky proposition from a reliability standpoint. 

Now I’m fully aware that Ford may have plans to build the Raptor R with the Predator 5.2 engine from the GT500. 

While the thought of that ☝️is titillating I HOPE Ford doesn’t make that colossal mistake. 

I don’t think positive displacement superchargers that rely on very tight rotor to case tolerances and who’s job it is is to introduce outside air into itself, and compress it …….well let’s just say a dusty trail is no place for one of those things. 

Sure in the case of the TRX Dodge has place a helicopter level air filer on top. (I wonder how much replacement elements cost)

There’s a reason for that fellas. I don’t know exactly what the boost figures are on that monstrosity but let’s just say it’s two or three atmospheres. That’s two or three times the inhale for a given engine speed at all time. Key on engine running that thing is sucking like a vacuum cleaner. 

Now admittedly I don’t know much about these modern day superchargers but I’ve seen plenty of Detroit Diesel blower that were actually intended for heavy duty use. 

Very few if any of those used DD cases and rotors survive unscathed. ALL of the ones I see are showing signs of significant wear. 

The racers have to remachine the housing and “strip” the rotors with Teflon to restore boost. In the 50’s and 60’s when supercharging with GMC blowers for racing was in its infancy well you could just purchase fresh or low mileage assemblies. 

In my opinion the TRX while being very impressive from a number’s standpoint is more of a mall crawler than a serious off roader. That is fine mind you. I don’t think that many TRX’s are bought to be used hardcore off road. It’s more of just a super truck. 

If I were in charge at Ford I would NEVER approve such a beast for two reasons. Number one Ford leads in trucks and just replicating what someone else did two or three years down the line. That’s pathetic. 

Secondly why add all the weight and complexity of something like the TRX power train when it ONLY adds one dimension of improvement and that’s acceleration. 

No my Raptor R would look quite different. Starting with the knowledge that Ford already has a good weight advantage due to the aluminum body. With that in mind I’d be preparing an all aluminum 6.8 naturally aspirated engine that is tuned for at least 450-500hp by itself. 

Next my “supercharger” would be a variation of the wildly successful Ford Pro Power system with the electric motor in the bell housing backed by a 10 speed. 

The added weight of the battery pack can be mostly offset by the lightweight components I’ve mentioned before. 

It is such a no brainer to do this that it would be a crime to miss this. Matter of fact the Pro Power system should be available in Ranger and Maverick. 

So you’ve loaded your Raptor R with your gear for the weekend. Your trailer is hooked up with your bikes and side by side. The kids are excited and mama’s still smiling you’re off to the dunes or Moab. 

You are getting reasonable mileage because your launches from a standstill are electric assisted. That savings alone buys you and the family a nice breakfast and dinner at Cracker Barrel so now everybody’s happy and mama is a little more understanding about that truck payment. 

So you get to your destination. You drive in and find a nice spot to set up camp. You pitch your tents and settle the kids down enough to eventually get them to sleep. 

Morning comes and out comes the bacon and eggs. Your refrigerator that is in the bed of your Pro Power equipped Raptor R has the orange juice nice and cold. 

Everything is better when you’ve got a nice breakfast and the coffee! Oh that glorious coffee!!

Over at the TRX camp, things are going along fine as well. Last night wasn’t as great because we just had some beef jerky and some potato chips. No Cracker Barrel “I just put two tank loads of premium to get this sled to the campgrounds!” “That’s $140 bucks a piece!” “Mama’s not as happy over here”

Anyhow TRX guy has unloaded his $1200 Honda generator and filled it with gas and that thing is humming along nicely but it’s not so quiet and peaceful. The sounds of nature are interrupted by all the generators in the Mopar and GM campsites. 

In the Ford lot the only thing besides nature you hear besides the kids laughing and playing is he sounds of bacon sizzling and coffee brewing. 

You take a second to realize hey the “supercharger” in my Ford saved me gas money on the way, I don’t need an auxiliary generator so that $1200 bucks came in handy AND my Godzilla 6.8 can charge up any hill with an extra 150 horsepower instantly and at my command. 

I put a snorkel kit on my Raptor R for that Eastern trip last year that included some water crossings. It was easy! TRX can’t do that with the helicopter filters in there to protect that supercharger. I’d hate to hydro one of those big hemis. Man that would be expensive. 

Oh yeah tonight we’re gonna do some all electric crawling to test out our stealth mode. Much better if you really want to connect with nature. 

Sorry guys I’m no Thoreau or Shakespeare but if I were boss and I were going to build a halo vehicle for the whole off road sector of my business I’d own it. Second place means you lose. Mopar built an amazing vehicle in the TRX and it does exactly what they intended for it. That’s building a vehicle that wins drag races and brutalizes trails. 

Everything I have talked about is already on the shelves at Ford. Regular production line stuff. No special hand built 700+ monsters. 

I believe that such a Raptor R would put it right back on top and out of reach of its main competitors. 

• Like 2

By the way my scenario would dovetail nicely with a possible future off road Lightning product. 

The hybrid and the pure EV could really be positioned to dominate the full-size off road truck category. 

That’s two steps ahead of anybody and really taking the lead in the segment. 

With the Bronco and Bronco Sport really catching on you’re looking at a real nice (and profitable) portfolio. 

6 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Guys I’ve mentioned before on here that I thought putting a supercharged engine in a truck like a TRX or some future Raptor R is a real risky proposition from a reliability standpoint. 

Now I’m fully aware that Ford may have plans to build the Raptor R with the Predator 5.2 engine from the GT500. 

While the thought of that ☝️is titillating I HOPE Ford doesn’t make that colossal mistake. 

I don’t think positive displacement superchargers that rely on very tight rotor to case tolerances and who’s job it is is to introduce outside air into itself, and compress it …….well let’s just say a dusty trail is no place for one of those things. 

Sure in the case of the TRX Dodge has place a helicopter level air filer on top. (I wonder how much replacement elements cost)

There’s a reason for that fellas. I don’t know exactly what the boost figures are on that monstrosity but let’s just say it’s two or three atmospheres. That’s two or three times the inhale for a given engine speed at all time. Key on engine running that thing is sucking like a vacuum cleaner. 

Now admittedly I don’t know much about these modern day superchargers but I’ve seen plenty of Detroit Diesel blower that were actually intended for heavy duty use. 

Very few if any of those used DD cases and rotors survive unscathed. ALL of the ones I see are showing signs of significant wear. 

The racers have to remachine the housing and “strip” the rotors with Teflon to restore boost. In the 50’s and 60’s when supercharging with GMC blowers for racing was in its infancy well you could just purchase fresh or low mileage assemblies. 

In my opinion the TRX while being very impressive from a number’s standpoint is more of a mall crawler than a serious off roader. That is fine mind you. I don’t think that many TRX’s are bought to be used hardcore off road. It’s more of just a super truck. 

If I were in charge at Ford I would NEVER approve such a beast for two reasons. Number one Ford leads in trucks and just replicating what someone else did two or three years down the line. That’s pathetic. 

Secondly why add all the weight and complexity of something like the TRX power train when it ONLY adds one dimension of improvement and that’s acceleration. 

No my Raptor R would look quite different. Starting with the knowledge that Ford already has a good weight advantage due to the aluminum body. With that in mind I’d be preparing an all aluminum 6.8 naturally aspirated engine that is tuned for at least 450-500hp by itself. 

Next my “supercharger” would be a variation of the wildly successful Ford Pro Power system with the electric motor in the bell housing backed by a 10 speed. 

The added weight of the battery pack can be mostly offset by the lightweight components I’ve mentioned before. 

It is such a no brainer to do this that it would be a crime to miss this. Matter of fact the Pro Power system should be available in Ranger and Maverick. 

So you’ve loaded your Raptor R with your gear for the weekend. Your trailer is hooked up with your bikes and side by side. The kids are excited and mama’s still smiling you’re off to the dunes or Moab. 

You are getting reasonable mileage because your launches from a standstill are electric assisted. That savings alone buys you and the family a nice breakfast and dinner at Cracker Barrel so now everybody’s happy and mama is a little more understanding about that truck payment. 

So you get to your destination. You drive in and find a nice spot to set up camp. You pitch your tents and settle the kids down enough to eventually get them to sleep. 

Morning comes and out comes the bacon and eggs. Your refrigerator that is in the bed of your Pro Power equipped Raptor R has the orange juice nice and cold. 

Everything is better when you’ve got a nice breakfast and the coffee! Oh that glorious coffee!!

Over at the TRX camp, things are going along fine as well. Last night wasn’t as great because we just had some beef jerky and some potato chips. No Cracker Barrel “I just put two tank loads of premium to get this sled to the campgrounds!” “That’s $140 bucks a piece!” “Mama’s not as happy over here”

Anyhow TRX guy has unloaded his $1200 Honda generator and filled it with gas and that thing is humming along nicely but it’s not so quiet and peaceful. The sounds of nature are interrupted by all the generators in the Mopar and GM campsites. 

In the Ford lot the only thing besides nature you hear besides the kids laughing and playing is he sounds of bacon sizzling and coffee brewing. 

You take a second to realize hey the “supercharger” in my Ford saved me gas money on the way, I don’t need an auxiliary generator so that $1200 bucks came in handy AND my Godzilla 6.8 can charge up any hill with an extra 150 horsepower instantly and at my command. 

I put a snorkel kit on my Raptor R for that Eastern trip last year that included some water crossings. It was easy! TRX can’t do that with the helicopter filters in there to protect that supercharger. I’d hate to hydro one of those big hemis. Man that would be expensive. 

Oh yeah tonight we’re gonna do some all electric crawling to test out our stealth mode. Much better if you really want to connect with nature. 

Sorry guys I’m no Thoreau or Shakespeare but if I were boss and I were going to build a halo vehicle for the whole off road sector of my business I’d own it. Second place means you lose. Mopar built an amazing vehicle in the TRX and it does exactly what they intended for it. That’s building a vehicle that wins drag races and brutalizes trails. 

Everything I have talked about is already on the shelves at Ford. Regular production line stuff. No special hand built 700+ monsters. 

I believe that such a Raptor R would put it right back on top and out of reach of its main competitors. 

"Like"button doesn't do justice..."Excellent".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

By the way my scenario would dovetail nicely with a possible future off road Lightning product. 

The hybrid and the pure EV could really be positioned to dominate the full-size off road truck category. 

That’s two steps ahead of anybody and really taking the lead in the segment. 

With the Bronco and Bronco Sport really catching on you’re looking at a real nice (and profitable) portfolio. 

A hybrid 6.8 is an intriguing proposal and would have applications in both light truck and some medium duty applications.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, silvrsvt said:

Not much in the way of news on the Raptor R....last articles I saw on it was back last April. You'd think they would have more information out on it by now. 

It would make the most sense if it did have the 6.8L in it, instead of the GT500

At this point, I'm wondering if that raptor r is just dead lol. We saw mules a few months ago I believe. But with spiking fuel prices, increasing emissions standards, and a possible recession on the horizon, I could see ford pulling the plug on its development. 

15 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

You made some compelling points, kinda like how I've often said a bronco with the 3.0 hybrid putting out aviator performance figures or higher would be more useful and better all around than stuffing a 5.0 into a bronco. The issue is, you're looking at this logically. No-one buying a raptor or trx is really being all that logical, it's an emotionally driven purchase. So pushing logic aside, and relying on emotion. If you put two comparable trucks in front of a buyer, and say, one has a badass, essentially supercar engine, and the other has what will likely be a heavy duty truck engine, most people are gonna go, a supercar engine in a off-road truck, hell yeah, that's awesome, and buy that. On the reliability front, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't some gen 1 raptors supercharged from the factory? Or at least adding superchargers to them was relatively common? Yet, as far as I know, even in supercharged form, they were quite durable. I'd imagine over a decade later, engineers have figured out a bunch of ways to ensure these types of trucks won't have any significant longevity issues. I mean, as you mentioned, FCA managed to make a somewhat reliable off-roader, and their engineers are nothing more than caveman banging rocks together. I'm sure engineers with actual talent won't have any issues when it comes to making a solid vehicle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

You made some compelling points, kinda like how I've often said a bronco with the 3.0 hybrid putting out aviator performance figures or higher would be more useful and better all around than stuffing a 5.0 into a bronco. The issue is, you're looking at this logically. No-one buying a raptor or trx is really being all that logical, it's an emotionally driven purchase. So pushing logic aside, and relying on emotion. If you put two comparable trucks in front of a buyer, and say, one has a badass, essentially supercar engine, and the other has what will likely be a heavy duty truck engine, most people are gonna go, a supercar engine in a off-road truck, hell yeah, that's awesome, and buy that. On the reliability front, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't some gen 1 raptors supercharged from the factory? Or at least adding superchargers to them was relatively common? Yet, as far as I know, even in supercharged form, they were quite durable. I'd imagine over a decade later, engineers have figured out a bunch of ways to ensure these types of trucks won't have any significant longevity issues. I mean, as you mentioned, FCA managed to make a somewhat reliable off-roader, and their engineers are nothing more than caveman banging rocks together. I'm sure engineers with actual talent won't have any issues when it comes to making a solid vehicle. 

Gen 1s were naturally aspirated 6.2l heavy duty truck motors, with the exception of a few early 2010s that had 5.4ls.  There were/are aftermarket supercharger kits for them, but I couldn’t say the percentage of trucks that went that route.  I left my two Gen 1 motors primarily stock. I think you would be surprised how many people just want a V8 verses it needing to be a 700+ Hp truck. With that said, they would certainly want as much power as they can get from the factory as well.  

Although I loved the sound of the Gen1, the power in my Gen2 was superior, it just didn’t have that fun sound.  

There’s a lot of talk about the Raptor needing the supercharged V8 to compete with the TRX, but I think if the Gen3 had come out with 600HP from the start there wouldn’t be such a push to get the R model out. I think a lot of people were disappointed with the same power numbers in the GEN3 , including myself.

I have a Gen3 on order, and will have to settle for the available power because who knows if or when the R version shows up, let alone how difficult it will be to obtain. But if you gave me a choice between hybrid 6.8L or the 5.2L predator, I would take the hybrid. You still get the V8 sound with the efficiency and boost of the hybrid system.  It would also be nice not having to fill up every 300 miles like a TRX. Whichever the case, I’m still looking forward to seeing the R model when/if it arrives, and I hopefully will have an opportunity to get one before the transition to electrics. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Gen 1s were naturally aspirated 6.2l heavy duty truck motors, with the exception of a few early 2010s that had 5.4ls.  There were/are aftermarket supercharger kits for them, but I couldn’t say the percentage of trucks that went that route.  I left my two Gen 1 motors primarily stock. I think you would be surprised how many people just want a V8 verses it needing to be a 700+ Hp truck. With that said, they would certainly want as much power as they can get from the factory as well.  

Although I loved the sound of the Gen1, the power in my Gen2 was superior, it just didn’t have that fun sound.  

There’s a lot of talk about the Raptor needing the supercharged V8 to compete with the TRX, but I think if the Gen3 had come out with 600HP from the start there wouldn’t be such a push to get the R model out. I think a lot of people were disappointed with the same power numbers in the GEN3 , including myself.

I have a Gen3 on order, and will have to settle for the available power because who knows if or when the R version shows up, let alone how difficult it will be to obtain. But if you gave me a choice between hybrid 6.8L or the 5.2L predator, I would take the hybrid. You still get the V8 sound with the efficiency and boost of the hybrid system.  It would also be nice not having to fill up every 300 miles like a TRX. Whichever the case, I’m still looking forward to seeing the R model when/if it arrives, and I hopefully will have an opportunity to get one before the transition to electrics. 

I think that an opportunity was missed in the early 2010s when the Aussies were hand building their S/C Miami 5.0 DOHC V8, the  Boss 335 was rated at 335Kw/460 hp flywheel horsepower, quite a joke when the things regularly produced around 460 HP at the rear wheels. If rated truthfully, it would have been around 550 hp at the flywheel (DIN/SAE Nett) and the perfect engine to do battle as the Raptor engine. The Miami was a hand built Coyote that proved to be thoroughly reliable  because it was well built with the right parts from get go and in many ways it was a precursor to what the US basically did with the S/C 5.2 years later…..

Edited by jpd80

On 4/22/2022 at 3:00 PM, jpd80 said:

With regards to an Atmo pushrod engine,

I was just thinking about the 7.0 LS7 released in 2006, 570 hp @5,500 and 540 lbft @ 4,000, I have no doubt that the 6.8 could achieve those figures easily even with 0.2 litres less, no trick titanium rods or the constraints of 4” crank in a low deck height block.  For one, the bore should be bigger and the stroke less, allowing the engine to rev more easily and make use of big free flowing cylinder heads.

With regards to an Atmo OHC/multivalve engine,

And then I thought about the GM 5.5 liter DOHC LT6 that’s due in the Corvette, 670hp @8,400 and 460 lb ft @6,300. The shear presence of that engine is going to eclipse the 5.2 Voodoo engine because that’s what GM does. If the 6.8 is OHC or multivalve, it would approximate a big coyote with a third more capacity, now that has to easily match or eclipses the LT6’s power and torque at lower revs.

The 570 HP crate LS7 has an utterly massive cam by OE standards.   

227/242 @ .050" -- you'll never, ever see a production engine with .050" duration figures anywhere near that.  

The production 505 HP/485 TQ LS7 is more in-line with where a production Godzilla based 6.8 will fall; IMO, give or take 10-30 HP.

A 32-valve 6.8 with power density similar to the Gen 3 Mustang 5.0 will land @ about 630 HP, 570 lb-ft (or 650 hp with GT350 style short runner intake).

The torque curve of such an engine would make virtually everyone forget about the LT6.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ESP08 said:

The 570 HP crate LS7 has an utterly massive cam by OE standards.   

227/242 @ .050" -- you'll never, ever see a production engine with .050" duration figures anywhere near that.  

The production 505 HP/485 TQ LS7 is more in-line with where a production Godzilla based 6.8 will fall; IMO, give or take 10-30 HP.

A 32-valve 6.8 with power density similar to the Gen 3 Mustang 5.0 will land @ about 630 HP, 570 lb-ft (or 650 hp with GT350 style short runner intake).

The torque curve of such an engine would make virtually everyone forget about the LT6.  

Absolutely and importantly, it make a Supercharger unnecessary for a basic grunt performance engine…

Yes, I’m being deliberately generous to GM with the 7.0 LS7 because of age and technology advances,

that being demonstrated in the latest Corvette Stingray  Powered by the LT2 engine, the 6.2 looks to be

producing 495 hp and 470 lb.-ft (with performance exhaust.) 

No matter, if a GM 6.2 can now produce ~500 hp 470 lb ft, then that bodes well for a 2valve 6.8 making

significantly more and the 32 valve engine being the brute that no one can ignore….

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

At this point, I'm wondering if that raptor r is just dead lol. We saw mules a few months ago I believe. But with spiking fuel prices, increasing emissions standards, and a possible recession on the horizon, I could see ford pulling the plug on its development. 

Doubtful...the gas prices in 2013 didn't hurt the first Gen Raptor and the amount of money they make off them has to be insane. 

• Like 1

Very great information and input from everyone.

I get the feeling that Ford is going to make this engine extremely well, so that it makes the LT6 forgettable or old news. Just imagine that the Silverado gets an LT4 or whatever with roughly 650 HP and this 6.8 F-150 shows up. Ford rules the truck market again.

I do think that this engine will end up replacing the 6.2 in the SD line eventually.

And there was the rumor of a turbocharged Godzilla; wouldn't that be icing on the cake if it came to fruition (unlikely).

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:48 AM, Stray Kat said:

This might be comparing apples and oranges to some extent but aren't we forgetting that the 3.5L EB that's been the standard engine in the Raptor for several years now also relies on highly compressed air passing through very tight tolerances between the turbo housing and vanes while spinning at ridiculous RPMs? Then there are the turbo bearings to consider. Ford's air filtration system obviously handles lots of dust on the current Raptor and I have not heard of any big problems with turbo life due to dust intake. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

This might be comparing apples and oranges to some extent but aren't we forgetting that the 3.5L EB that's been the standard engine in the Raptor for several years now also relies on highly compressed air passing through very tight tolerances between the turbo housing and vanes while spinning at ridiculous RPMs? Then there are the turbo bearings to consider. Ford's air filtration system obviously handles lots of dust on the current Raptor and I have not heard of any big problems with turbo life due to dust intake. Just sayin'.

In my opinion it’s a completely different animal. Turbos are not as inherently sensitive to housing wear as a positive displacement blower “I don’t think”. 

You see many turbocharged diesels in off the highway dusty applications. The blowers went away and I think the subject at hand is one of the reasons. 

I’d like to hear your thoughts on the other points I made. An N/A larger displacement V8 or even an N/A 5 liter Coyote with electric assist adds fuel economy, adds performance, reduces engine stress thus wear and tear, and adds the whole “power station” dimension to serious off roading. 

What about that? 

Also I’m certain Ford would have to purchase the blower from a vendor while I believe the hybrid system is already on the shelf. Ford already owns the technology AND they will at least theoretically create for themselves a marketing coup’

3 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

Very great information and input from everyone.

I get the feeling that Ford is going to make this engine extremely well, so that it makes the LT6 forgettable or old news. Just imagine that the Silverado gets an LT4 or whatever with roughly 650 HP and this 6.8 F-150 shows up. Ford rules the truck market again.

I do think that this engine will end up replacing the 6.2 in the SD line eventually.

And there was the rumor of a turbocharged Godzilla; wouldn't that be icing on the cake if it came to fruition (unlikely).

This has been hashed out many times over the last 18 months but IMHO replacing the 6.2L doesn't make sense as the 6.8L (based on F150 & Mustang applications) will have an aluminum block which won't work in the SD. And even if they did, specs are so close to a 7.3L why bother? 6.2L was old and already around, price point offering. But were all speculating so I guess we'll find out...

23 minutes ago, Power Kid said:

This has been hashed out many times over the last 18 months but IMHO replacing the 6.2L doesn't make sense as the 6.8L (based on F150 & Mustang applications) will have an aluminum block which won't work in the SD. And even if they did, specs are so close to a 7.3L why bother? 6.2L was old and already around, price point offering. But were all speculating so I guess we'll find out...

I could definitely see this happening. But like you said, we all don't know. Great time to be a Ford fan though.

1 hour ago, Power Kid said:

I was under the impression that the 6.2L had issues with heat in the cylinder heads and didn't lend itself well for NG applications. 

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Doubtful...the gas prices in 2013 didn't hurt the first Gen Raptor and the amount of money they make off them has to be insane. 

Yes, I concur.  Gas mileage is a low priority for most Raptor buyers.  

14 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I was under the impression that the 6.2L had issues with heat in the cylinder heads and didn't lend itself well for NG applications. 

The issue was heat rejection in medium duty truck (450 and larger) applications.  That's why the 6.8L V-10 stayed around in those trucks.  The 6.2L does fine in gaseous fuel applications in the 250 and 350.  The 7.3L can replace both the 6.2L and the 6.8L V-10 in any application, and the de-tuned 7.3L supposedly gives the same fuel economy as the 6.2L does in the E series and stripped chassis models.  Though a good engine, the 6.2L has been redundant for the last 2 years and I have no idea why Ford is keeping it around.  BTW, the 7.3L actually has a lot in common with the 6.2L.