Ford GT Mule Spied

20 hours ago, Deanh said:

Id also bank on rather large depreciation on the Vettes....

Not yet.....2020 C8's are going for $98,000 with 10,000 miles and basic C7's with 30,000 miles are going for $75,000. C6'S sell for good money also. Not my cup of tea, but Corvette prices are holding up. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Not yet.....2020 C8's are going for $98,000 with 10,000 miles and basic C7's with 30,000 miles are going for $75,000. C6'S sell for good money also. Not my cup of tea, but Corvette prices are holding up. 

well the market now is nuts...when reality steps in those numbers will decline significantly.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Shame they can’t add batteries……….oops.

Also engine in back doesn’t change existing crash test data…..,,,,

still have to do a bunch of tests to put the vehicle on the road...all cost $$$$….I sincerely don't  see this as anything but a Mule for a potential replacement

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ESP08 said:

I agree, but I suspect the upcoming Z-versions will address that.   

The basic C8 proportions aren't bad but these base models definitely seem underbaked and a little dainty (or cheap) somehow.  

Eh, some extra wings and vents won't change the core design issues.

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

still have to do a bunch of tests to put the vehicle on the road...all cost $$$$….I sincerely don't  see this as anything but a Mule for a potential replacement

I think I have to agree here - I find it hard to believe they're going to stick a new powertrain in the same vehicle at this point in its lifecycle - I realize GT would be an exception in any sort of lifecycle timeline, but seems odd that they wouldn't move forward.

Call me crazy, but I think this could be a potential mule for a mid-engine mustang. Ford has stated that they want to expand the mustang sub-brand with additional models in the future. They were spied testing a c8, implying they're considering a more obtainable mid-engine car. Not to mention, Ford has done multiple mid-engine mustang concepts in the past. Finally, we saw that mystery sketch teased in one of ford's presentations that clearly looks like a future mid-engine car. But it doesn't really look like a future interpretation of the gt, instead, it almost looks like a modern take on the '62 mustang concept. Primary, the sketch looks like a convertible, with a prominent roll bar that looks a lot like that original mustang concept.

1 hour ago, sullynd said:

The testing issue only applies retail and not racing - right?

well IIRC there was a reason the GT was limited to 3.5 because I think that's the limit of a force fed unit in the  class it raced in. I believe the V8 limitwas 5.2 ( correct me if Imwrong )….so where exactly would ( rumored ) a 7 liter twin turboed unit race?....

Having cheered for the Ford GTs at LeMans in the 60s and again just a few years ago, I'd like to join in the enthusiasm... But the GT is at "end of life" and will soon be gone. The Mustang's fate is uncertain- Instead of a full revision, we may only get a mid cycle update before it's end of life. Sadly, Ford is now a light truck and SUV company- We will never again see Ford tractors and heavy trucks, the last GTs are being built, and the traditional Mustang's future is uncertain.

35 minutes ago, Deanh said:

well IIRC there was a reason the GT was limited to 3.5 because I think that's the limit of a force fed unit in the  class it raced in. I believe the V8 limitwas 5.2 ( correct me if Imwrong )….so where exactly would ( rumored ) a 7 liter twin turboed unit race?....

Maybe Jim wanted a personal track car. ;)

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

Replacement yes but the bigger question is how much change,  

remembering that GT was mostly developed by Ford’s partner

and it looks like the plan is to life extend the GT in some form.

Multimax and Ford are not done.

Edited by jpd80

22 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I would say for a start off a significantly different  top hat...but they may utilize the chassis basics as it was friggen great  from the get go....and agreed, would be a waste if it wasnt the basic underpinnings for something "new"...how the heck they will improve on the styling is beyond me....

56 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I would say for a start off a significantly different  top hat...but they may utilize the chassis basics as it was friggen great  from the get go....and agreed, would be a waste if it wasnt the basic underpinnings for something "new"...how the heck they will improve on the styling is beyond me....

No chassis to speak of, it’s all carbon fibre including the tub,

so way more flexible to change as required because Ford’s 

partner Multimax progresses that while Ford watches on with glee…..

Since they’re not constrained by a Ford production line process

and development path, many changes can be done that don’t 

cost as much as a high volume vehicle. There’s still a lot of 

money to be made by both partners 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Maybe Ford wants to expand the Mustang family further with a mid engine Mustang derivative. Again, I would think the C8 got Ford's attention. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Call me crazy, but I think this could be a potential mule for a mid-engine mustang. Ford has stated that they want to expand the mustang sub-brand with additional models in the future. They were spied testing a c8, implying they're considering a more obtainable mid-engine car. Not to mention, Ford has done multiple mid-engine mustang concepts in the past. Finally, we saw that mystery sketch teased in one of ford's presentations that clearly looks like a future mid-engine car. But it doesn't really look like a future interpretation of the gt, instead, it almost looks like a modern take on the '62 mustang concept. Primary, the sketch looks like a convertible, with a prominent roll bar that looks a lot like that original mustang concept.

36 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Maybe Ford wants to expand the Mustang family further with a mid engine Mustang derivative. Again, I would think the C8 got Ford's attention. 

I think that is a good guess. I'm no engineer, but could some of the GT's engineering/platform be made with less expensive material, a more "Mustang design," and a cheaper price to better compete directly with the C8? Personally, I think it could work if positioned above/near the GT500. And I also think it could compliment the potential Mustang sedan that has been rumored for how long now in the larger Mustang family.

Edited by Broncofan7

16 minutes ago, Broncofan7 said:

I think that is a good guess. I'm no engineer, but could some of the GT's engineering/platform be made with less expensive material, a more "Mustang design," and a cheaper price to better compete directly with the C8? Personally, I think it could work if positioned above/near the GT500. And I also think it could compliment the potential Mustang sedan that has been rumored for how long now in the larger Mustang family.

At this point, though, you'd think any sort of vehicle like that would be a BEV, meaning it wouldn't use components from Mustang or GT......though I suppose they could use some carbon fiber knowledge to develop something.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Broncofan7 said:

Yeah, perhaps they could use some of the gt's suspension components, brakes, and maybe a modified version of it's carbon tub. Use the 5.0 with around 500 hp, maybe utilize the dct from the gt500. As you mentioned, you could make the body out of cheaper materials, like aluminum or fiberglass. In terms of pricing, I agree, price it around or slightly above the starting price of the gt500. Perhaps it could have a starting price between 65-70 grand. 

50 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

At this point, though, you'd think any sort of vehicle like that would be a BEV, meaning it wouldn't use components from Mustang or GT......though I suppose they could use some carbon fiber knowledge to develop something.

IMO I think a true gt successor would be an EV, or at least a hybrid, as that vehicle is meant to be a halo product that showcases ford's latest and greatest tech to demonstrate Ford's technical capabilities. So I agree with you to an extent. I think the Fordzilla P1 project hints at what the next ford gt could be, while it would be virtually impossible to produce it as is, I believe that car is giving us a hint of where the gt is going.

But I think if Ford is truly considering a C8 rival, they might be planning a "lower tech" mid-engine mustang that utilizes much of the current mustang's tech, and offers a price that is very competitive with the c8's. So while it's a stretch, there could be a time in the near or distant future where we have multiple mid-engine ford exotics, which sounds incredible to me personally.

fordzilla p1 #2.jpg

Team-Fordzilla-P1-above.png

• Thanks 1