Mustang Rumors Mention Hybrid and V8

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

I just don't see the 6.8 going in the mustang unless it's used in like a cobra jet or some other ultra expensive track toy. There's no way that engine goes into a mainstream production mustang imo. 

Precisely, the hint was that the 6.8 replaces the SC 5.2 V8 in the GT500 and F Series,

all limited production apex variants but able to be built down existing production lines.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

I just don't see the 6.8 going in the mustang unless it's used in like a cobra jet or some other ultra expensive track toy. There's no way that engine goes into a mainstream production mustang imo. 

I don’t know if it will ever see the light of day, but if it does, why wouldn’t it it go in mainstream Mustangs? It probably wouldn’t be any larger than the 5.0 and if it’s OHV, it would be smaller and considerably cheaper to build. 

16 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

I don’t know if it will ever see the light of day, but if it does, why wouldn’t it it go in mainstream Mustangs? It probably wouldn’t be any larger than the 5.0 and if it’s OHV, it would be smaller and considerably cheaper to build. 

It's not the physical size or costs but the CO2 emission and CAFE consideration.

5.0 hybrid will have lower emission and better CAFE so that's the volume engine for the US market. 6.8 also cannot be sold overseas where they have displacement based annual carbon tax - no one is going to buy a Mustang 6.8 and pay the same annual road taxes/registration as a V12 Rolls Royce or Bugatti. The largest AMG or Porsche engine is a 4.0 turbo V8 for a reason.

So the only plausible outcome for 6.8 is somewhat low volume special niche model, primarily for the US market where we don't have a carbon tax. 

My guess is 5.0 will be manual only and if you opt for automatic, you will get 5.0 hybrid. No exceptions.

Pure speculation... I have no actual insider info

Base 2.3 EB 6MT

Base 2.3 EB hybrid 10AT

GT 5.0 V8 6MT

GT 5.0 V8 hybrid 10AT

Mach 1 5.0 V8 6MT

Bullet 5.0 V8 hybrid 10AT

GT350 5.2 V8 6MT

GT500 6.8 V8 10AT

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

My guess is 5.0 will be manual only and if you opt for automatic, you will get 5.0 hybrid. No exceptions.

Base 2.3 EB 6MT

Base 2.3 EB hybrid 10AT

GT 5.0 V8 6MT

GT 5.0 V8 hybrid 10AT

Mach 1 5.0 V8 6MT

GT350 5.2 V8 6MT

GT500 6.8 V8 10AT

I like the way you think. That being said, assuming they brought back the gt350 and gt500, I don't see the gt500 having the 6.8 with the gt350r getting the 5.2. I think it would be more likely for the gt500 to get like a 5.2 hybrid or something. The ultimate sendoff for the ICE muscle car would be some crazy thousand hp hybrid imo. Think la Ferrari but in mustang form.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

I wonder if the 5.0 hybrid will be a "regular" GT (GT+) trim level.

Rumors are that the 5.2 Predator will continue for the S650 Shelby variant. But with the Romeo niche line closing, can Predator be build elsewhere, or with the Coyote?

5.2 ends with closing of the Romeo special line. Special engines are then done out of Windsor Annex building.

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

Base 2.3 EB 6MT

Base 2.3 EB hybrid 10AT

GT 5.0 V8 6MT

GT 5.0 V8 hybrid 10AT

Mach 1 5.0 V8 6MT

GT350 5.2 V8 6MT

GT500 6.8 V8 10AT

Brilliant deduction. The word is that the 5.2 is going at the end of 2022 when Romeo special line closes…

By that time, the hybrids will cover the CAFE on GT500, just like Lightning will cover 6.8s used in F150 Raptor.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

So my question would be, what will power the GT500 if the 5.2 is gone? 

I don't buy the 6.8 going into S650......so a supercharged 5.0 Coyote? Or could that 5.0 + hybrid be the top engine?

Forgive the pun, but I hope the 5.0 hybrid isn't a niche engine, especially for those of us in Europe, as that'll be the only way we'll be able to buy a V8 from Ford from 2025.

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

So my question would be, what will power the GT500 if the 5.2 is gone? 

I don't buy the 6.8 going into S650......so a supercharged 5.0 Coyote? Or could that 5.0 + hybrid be the top engine?

Forgive the pun, but I hope the 5.0 hybrid isn't a niche engine, especially for those of us in Europe, as that'll be the only way we'll be able to buy a V8 from Ford from 2025.

Whether or not you buy it, Jerry Diaz is on record discussing the UNIFOR contract, he specifically said that the 6.8 was to be built at Windsor and going into versions of F Series and Mustang, so it’s pretty obvious that he was talking about a high series limited volume engine.

S650 was cancelled in favour of a more economical evolved S550 that uses hybrid modules from CD6.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Oh, I know. I watched the UNIFOR contract video and heard the words coming out of his mouth :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a 6.8 in a high-end Mustang...............but, other than more torque, I'm wondering what the gains are over the Coyote. N/A power would likely be similar, but I'd expect a chunk more torque than the Coyote's 420 lb/ft (or 410 as it will be for '22MY). Of course, I guess they could go for forced induction. 

As for S650 being cancelled, yep I'm aware of that. But the "leaked" Linkedin documents have still called the '23MY S650. Do you think internally Ford would still call it S550?

On 10/31/2021 at 1:04 AM, Twin Turbo said:

Oh, I know. I watched the UNIFOR contract video and heard the words coming out of his mouth :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against a 6.8 in a high-end Mustang...............but, other than more torque, I'm wondering what the gains are over the Coyote. N/A power would likely be similar, but I'd expect a chunk more torque than the Coyote's 420 lb/ft (or 410 as it will be for '22MY). Of course, I guess they could go for forced induction. 

As for S650 being cancelled, yep I'm aware of that. But the "leaked" Linkedin documents have still called the '23MY S650. Do you think internally Ford would still call it S550?

You are correct with the NG being called S650 on Linkden, the parameters were just scaled back to an evolved S550 (not a bad thing). And the 6.8 would be about cost cutting as well as mines bigger than yours……a bit of old Detroit one upmanship…….

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

I personally think a 6.8 with an electric motor in the bell housing is A LOT better situation than a super sand sucker er I mean supercharged V8. 

If Ford did something like this in the Raptor they would score a major coup d’ etat. 

The trx's superchargered v8 doesn't seem to have issues with sand. The raptor r shouldn't have issues with the 5.2. 

A hybrid Mustang Ecoboost might give you 340 hp and over 400 torque which would be pretty good for a 4 cylinder.  Similar increases for the 5.0 (would make up for the 10 hp reduction for the 2022).   Couple that with better emissions and fuel economy.   Concern is the added weight; Ford has to figure out how to shed pounds not add.   Other questions,  does hybrid mean mild hybrid or plug-in?  Will hybrid mean Ford moves to AWD for the Mustang (i.e. add electric motor to drive front wheels)?   Will hybrid be an option, i.e. the base 2.3 and 5.0 will be non-hybrid?  Will the hybrid be offered at introduction of the S650 or offered several years after? 2023 MY is getting relatively close, when will we start getting more information?

Edited by llinthicum1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, DeluxeStang said:

Isn't the 6.8 meant to go into the f-150?

Stephen Ketterer

April 5, 2021 at 7:43 AM

I believe the block is produced from compacted graphite iron similar to the latest EcoBoost motors. This new design is much more durable than the old Windsor or 385-series blocks, as tough as they were.

from

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/hennessey-velociraptor-700-2021-ford-f-250-hits-the-dyno-test-track-video/

Edited by CGIron

52 minutes ago, llinthicum1 said:

A hybrid Mustang Ecoboost might give you 340 hp and over 400 torque which would be pretty good for a 4 cylinder.  Similar increases for the 5.0 (would make up for the 10 hp reduction for the 2022).   Couple that with better emissions and fuel economy.   Concern is the added weight; Ford has to figure out how to shed pounds not add.   Other questions,  does hybrid mean mild hybrid or plug-in?  Will hybrid mean Ford moves to AWD for the Mustang (i.e. add electric motor to drive front wheels)?   Will hybrid be an option, i.e. the base 2.3 and 5.0 will be non-hybrid?  Will the hybrid be offered at introduction of the S650 or offered several years after? 2023 MY is getting relatively close, when will we start getting more information?

I couldn't find the battery weight for the Explorer or Powerboost F-150, but going off specs, they might be using the same 1.4Kw unit in the Escape that weighs about 65 pounds. 

13 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

The trx's superchargered v8 doesn't seem to have issues with sand. The raptor r shouldn't have issues with the 5.2. 

The TRX’s are barely out yet. Of the ones in customer’s hands how many have been to the silty river beds and sandy dunes?

Even the slow turning GMC truck blowers are critical in the rotor to case clearances. Can you imagine what fine sand can do inside there?

Why follow Dodge anyways. Ford is the leader. They should act like it and keep innovating. 

Aside from the dust eating the rotors and case potential think about how much better driving dynamics and well.........jumping can be with a lower center of gravity that is shifted farther back. 

If you look at a real desert race truck the engines are so far back they are basically under the windshield. Can’t do that in a mass market truck but you sure as heck can dump all that extra complexity from the blower and extra plumbing and put the electric motor in the bell housing and the batteries under the rear seat. 

They could even capture regen when going down hill. 

The TRX is just a rehash of what Ford did in ‘99-‘01 with the “Terminator” Mustangs. Why get stuck in the past. That’s for the “put a hemi in everything crowd”

12 hours ago, CGIron said:

Stephen Ketterer

April 5, 2021 at 7:43 AM

I believe the block is produced from compacted graphite iron similar to the latest EcoBoost motors. This new design is much more durable than the old Windsor or 385-series blocks, as tough as they were.

from

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/hennessey-velociraptor-700-2021-ford-f-250-hits-the-dyno-test-track-video/

Nope, good old fashioned cast iron blocks there’s no need for CGI in this application 

Edited by jpd80