Misinformation/ moderation

Forderorder

57 minutes ago, Forderorder said:

I see a lot of people who have good intentions but are giving bad information lately. Have the moderators considered adding TRUE/FALSE flair to posts or deleting posts which spread bad information?

And just who do you think should be the arbitrator of the truth?  I don't believe that any of the usual Mods actually work for Ford, so a lot of what you read is peoples OPINIONS, not necessarily the truth or fact.  I'm not sure who you think should decide if a post is accurate or not?

Maybe you think this is a FMC-run forum, it is not. It is owned and moderated by enthusiasts, so it is subject to their point of view.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

And just who do you think should be the arbitrator of the truth?  I don't believe that any of the usual Mods actually work for Ford, so a lot of what you read is peoples OPINIONS, not necessarily the truth or fact.  I'm not sure who you think should decide if a post is accurate or not?

Maybe you think this is a FMC-run forum, it is not. It is owned and moderated by enthusiasts, so it is subject to their point of view.

HRG

He’s talking about Super Duty orders and there is a lot of misinformation about the ordering and scheduling process that isn’t up to opinions.

But it’s not worth the effort unless it’s egregious and repeated.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

We have several members who work for Ford and others who work for dealerships.   But it does not take an employee of either type to distinguish true from false.  As a real life example, this one happened just the other day:  I read someone declare IF YOU DIDN’T RECEIVE AN ORDER CONFIRMATION, YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT IN THE SYSTEM.  I don’t work for Ford but I know that is not true. I personally didn’t receive an order confirmation, but I received an email notice that I have been scheduled for production, so how could that statement be true?

I’m simply saying; those who don’t know the answer shouldn’t be so quick to “help”, because it ends up being harmful and muddying up threads. 

There are lots of posts from people who are quick to add their “two cents” in a matter-of-fact writing style — possibly even trying to boost their post count to 15 — which then leads to confusion for newer members. This cascades to a question being asked for the 20th time and lately I can even see the frustration mounting when the mods have to repeat themselves. 

The idea of post flair wouldn’t have to burden the moderators. Perhaps it could be some additional emoticons for the already existing “reaction” system. Then the community could add feedback. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

He’s talking about Super Duty orders and there is a lot of misinformation about the ordering and scheduling process that isn’t up to opinions.

But it’s not worth the effort unless it’s egregious and repeated.

Ohhhh..."false!"

Not worth the effort? To you maybe...to him it IS worth your effort?

You have plenty of time...come on dude be a team player, for what you get paid here you should do this....ummm...wait..oh...never mind?

Personally I would rather the moderator spend their time proofreading and get my punctuation and spelling corrected for me....

Akirby...the BOFGoogle bot!?

Just kidding.. I'm just in a joking mood tonight.

In all seriousness, look at it this way.

If somebody gets true information here and acts on it, they will find that the information they got was true and it helped them.

If somebody here received false information and acts on that when dealing with Ford or the dealership then they will find out real quick that the information they got was false, and then, no harm no foul. ( other than when they walk out the door of the dealership the sales team at the dealership rolls their eyes and say "another guy that got his info from the INTERNET!")

But with all the confusion I've seen on here from people posting with what their dealers have told them or what they heard from Ford customer service, it seems like even when you walk in the dealership WITH THE CORRECT INFO,  if the dealer doesn't think it's right then they still roll their eyes at you as you walk out the door.?

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 1

Its the nature of internet forums. There is lots of wrong/false/bad information on every forum. Learning how to weed through it and use your own judgement is key.

If you only want facts stick to official press releases or notices that come directly from FMC.

• Like 2

I think most people who post here do so with the intention of helping others, not purposely spread misinformation. I think we do need to read what the moderators have posted on this forum before we open our big mouths :) There is a lot of good information already posted, but there are a lot of people who don't bother trying to find it. Browse the forum topics, do searches, and explore before posting. It saves everyone a lot of time.

30 minutes ago, AtlasBlue350 said:

I think most people who post here do so with the intention of helping others, not purposely spread misinformation. I think we do need to read what the moderators have posted on this forum before we open our big mouths :) There is a lot of good information already posted, but there are a lot of people who don't bother trying to find it. Browse the forum topics, do searches, and explore before posting. It saves everyone a lot of time.

All great information and advice. One thing is that the most frequent offenders are the FNG’s who for the most part just got here and haven’t had a chance to get to know what’s available.  Regardless, I have learned a LOT by lurking around this site and others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Forderorder said:

I see a lot of people who have good intentions but are giving bad information lately. Have the moderators considered adding TRUE/FALSE flair to posts or deleting posts which spread bad information?

There is no one in the universe, besides GOD, that knows everything about anything, not even if you asked Ford executives down to the janitor.  I think the users and the moderators of this forum do a great job now at self-regulation.  I see self-regulation on a regular basis here, users and moderators call BS on anything that is incorrect or false if they see it or know it to be false.  I use the term two cents in some of my replies, so I guess you're calling me out too but just call users out as you read their posts if you think what they said is misinformation.  I've been on many forums over the years, the information is free, usually accurate and with good intent, if you want nothing but 100% facts on every subject, question or answer, you will be miserably disappointed with this or any forum as in my humble opinion, it doesn't exist.  While you wait for your utopian forum, you can help this one become better by being an active contributor and part of the solution you seek, or you can say nothing because you're afraid your answer is not 100% correct.  If I say something that is wrong, stupid or a lie, please call BS and I will either defend it, correct it or delete it and apologize or the moderators can delete my membership and I can go back and mind my own business and leave all this talk to the experts.

787Toolman

4 hours ago, 787Toolman said:

There is no one in the universe, besides GOD, that knows everything about anything,

Nah you're still twisting my words similar to HotRunrGuy and mattdm.  I'm not saying that only "god" or people in lab coats at the Ford offices should post on this site.  I'm just asking the community to qualify their posts with "I'm not sure, but I think...", or maybe just hold off until someone who does know comes along.

I use the term two cents in some of my replies, so I guess you're calling me out too

The term "two cents" is used widely.  I wasn't trying to call out anyone specific, other than the specific example I gave about e-mails -- and I don't even remember who that was.  This was nothing personal.  Just a suggestion to make the community a little better.

14 hours ago, Forderorder said:

“  I wasn't trying to call out anyone specific, other than the specific example I gave about e-mails -- and I don't even remember who that was.  This was nothing personal.  Just a suggestion to make the community a little better.”

This may have been me.  Though I’m new to this forum, I am certainly not new to Ford or the order process.

I have ordered 8 vehicles from Ford.  In the case of 5, I received a confirmation almost immediately.  Two more, the email address was, in fact, not input when ordered - I got that corrected and receive emails from that point forward.  The last order was not input for several days - and only corrected when I contacted the dealership.

So, it would seem based on experience, that indeed, if the email is input, one received confirmations.  Not sure how one would take that in any different manner?

But, to your original point, it appears it falls back to who is making the determination of what is true/false/ misinformation?

And I don’t disagree that misinformation needs to be corrected - I would submit the forum members do a good job of it already.

Edited by Good2eat

On 2/2/2022 at 8:31 PM, Mchom said:

Like most forums, you just have to take it and decide if they know what they're talking about or just trying to blow smoke up your a@@

Blow smoke. What? Huh?... oh you're on the wrong Forum....those are the Dodges that blow lots of smoke...?

Scroll through the internet.... you will find Dodge truck forums somewhere between the junkyard ads, Prius forums and automatic mullet hair cutting systems...yeppers!?

• Haha 2

the biggest problem I see in the super duty thread(229 pages now) is peoples lack of willingness to read/research.  instead of doing reading/research they join to ask a question that has been answered probably 100 times in that thread.  I can imagine this is EXHAUSTING for @akirby and @ice-capades and any other mod that participates.  if people would spend the time to read the information in the production/sales forum they wouldnt be making lame guesses if a bed liner is holding up their order or if adaptive steering is holding it up.  nobody has a magic crystal ball to this.  I am a member of MANY forums and I have never seen the same questions ask soooooooo many times.  Spreading bad information helps nobody and sends everybody into a panic, but i will say keep cancelling your 5th prep packages and bed liners when i order a 23 it wont be a delay for me lol!! in all seriousness, read !!!!!!!  the answers have been posted 100 times to almost all questions.  

Edited by JHForman812
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Blow smoke. What? Huh?... oh you're on the wrong Forum....those are the Dodges that blow lots of smoke...?

Scroll through the internet.... you will find Dodge truck forums somewhere between the junkyard ads, Prius forums and automatic mullet hair cutting systems...yeppers!?

I couldn’t help but get a good chuckle out of this! As my username implies, this will be my first Ford, and I cannot wait! I’ve never - and will never own a Dodge

On 2/3/2022 at 10:00 PM, JHForman812 said:

the biggest problem I see in the super duty thread(229 pages now) is peoples lack of willingness to read/research.  instead of doing reading/research they join to ask a question that has been answered probably 100 times in that thread.  I can imagine this is EXHAUSTING for @akirby and @ice-capades and any other mod that participates.  if people would spend the time to read the information in the production/sales forum they wouldnt be making lame guesses if a bed liner is holding up their order or if adaptive steering is holding it up.  nobody has a magic crystal ball to this.  I am a member of MANY forums and I have never seen the same questions ask soooooooo many times.  Spreading bad information helps nobody and sends everybody into a panic, but i will say keep cancelling your 5th prep packages and bed liners when i order a 23 it wont be a delay for me lol!! in all seriousness, read !!!!!!!  the answers have been posted 100 times to almost all questions.  

Preach on.... I'm new here and I definitely agree.  This morning I see at least 3 posts on one page asking about receiver size.  I know when I first joined and started reading through the long threads I noticed the same questions being asked repeatedly. I also noticed the same misinformation being corrected by the mods and regulars.  I guess some folks are too lazy to spend some time searching and reading. 

• Like 1

To all,

It's all good though? guys get tired, getting home from work,  rough day in the yard , whatever..    tries to do a little searching can't find exactly what he's looking for or is just trying to figure out how the Forum really works... then just say "f" it and asks. ( I have been guilty of that myself)

Another receiver question comes up next week I'm happy to answer it....

look at it this way, instead of people just doing a search for a question to find and answer  it's a way for them to ask a question get a conversation started.

In reality what the hell is even needed for any forum? the research is out there if you dig hard enough... this is just a way to make it faster and easier and (kinda) hang out and talk to people with a similar interest.

I have not been on this forum for years, I have only been here for months. Even if I see the same question four or five times I am more than willing to help answer questions, post charts or pictures that will help out the next guy because there are many of you here that have done that for me and it helped make my truck buying experience awesome.

Get your grumpy old heads out of the mud, pull your bifocals up, slide a beer across the table and talk to the man about his truck.... don't be that a****** car salesman that makes a truck buying experience miserable....

Help out, give advice, make them feel welcome.??

????

• Like 3